• Welcome to the oldest running Fuerteventura Forum.
 

Spanish Driving licence & Medical Test

Started by Ole Man River, October 05, 2013, 12:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ole Man River

My thanks to Tamara en la Playa for her very valuable & helpful advice on this.

I went to the Traffico Office in Puerto, -  armed with every document/copy under the sun, as advised!!(I still couldn't give you directions on how to find the Office!) Took my ticket & luckily there were only about 6 people in front of me. Did the necessary at the desk - took a translation saying "I wish to take the medical test & apply for a Spanish Driving Licence", just in case. I think the chap behind the desk was a bit disappointed I had everything I needed! He gave me a form, then went to the other window & paid. Then you go to the Medical Office round the corner, give them some more docs & pay again. Take the co-ordination driving test on screen, bit hairy, as you get older it's not so easy! Passed anyway. Answer some questions. Wait again & then see the Medical Doctor, take an eye test answer some more questions. Wait again & then they give you a form to take back to Traffico. Take another ticket, give the form back. Then he gives a slip & says come back in 2 months for your Licence!
Ok that's it done!
(I did all this now because my UK driving licence is due to expire early next year. Urghhh!- you can guess why? & thought it best to get a current Spanish Licence to save, hopefully, a lot of hassle!) ???

My thanks again Tamara!!!  8) 8) 8)

TamaraEnLaPlaya

You are welcome OMR.
Fingers crossed that your licence is waiting for you when you go back. A word of warning: the first time I went back the guy checked his screen and said, 'Oh, UK said we can go ahead - now we will order it!'. And the waiting started again.......... May be worth you checking in a couple of weeks that the order has been processed.
My first licence never arrived and they made me wait 3 months from when I reported that it hadn't arrived before they would order a duplicate! The whole process took exactly 6 months and my licence has only just come through, just in time for a visit to the UK (hire car), the temp licence that Trafico issued me with only covered driving in Spain.
Has anyone on here failed the medical co-ordination test? Do you get a second chance?
On the back of my licence, under the various classes, is a line with the abbreviation BTP and an expiry date - can anyone tell me what this BTP is please?

Captain Sensible

I switched from a UK licence to a Spanish one in August, and was issued with a temporary Spanish one.

The man at Trafico did not know when I'd get the full licence as they have to check out things with DVLC in the UK.  He suggested coming back in 3 months.

akela

I failed the co ordination test, (I have mild M.S) did it three times and each time my score went down.  They still gave me my piece of paper for my licence though!!

woe10

Quote from: akela on October 06, 2013, 10:56:26 AM
I failed the co ordination test, (I have mild M.S) did it three times and each time my score went down.  They still gave me my piece of paper for my licence though!!

I feel a bit disturbed about this. You failed the co-ordination test 3 times and they sill past you    Should you really be driving, would you be allowed to drive in the UK with your condition. Only asking  :o

Ole Man River, don't worry about waiting for your licence. The receipt they give you is OK for the Guardia if you get pulled. The only down side is, I use my Driving licence as Photo ID when shopping with my cards. 


Ole Man River

woe10 - apparently you are allowed 20 "bleeps" on the machine before you fail???  :o  8) 8) 8)

woe10

Don't go if you have a steaming hangover  ;D 8)

Paddster


pamthomas

Hi all, just curious, why get a Spanish licence in the first place. I have lived here 8 yrs and still got my UK one.

Ole Man River

I've been here 8 yrs. driving on my UK licence too. In my original post I explained that my UK licence actually expires next year, so thought better to get a Spanish one now. See above.  8)

Captain Sensible

I switched to a Spanish licence because my 10 year UK one ran out this year.

TamaraEnLaPlaya

Same here, my 10 year UK photocard ran out.

As I said, it can take a long time but hopefully your new Spanish licence won't get lost like mine, so that should improve things. Keep an eye on the expiry date on your temporary licence and go back for a refill if necessary! Remember the temp licence is only valid for here (Spain), not International (ie UK!).

A while back there was talk that residents here had to take the medical exam within 2 years of living here, in support of their UK (or other) licence, even if the (UK or other) photocard was still valid. Does anyone know if this was just rumour, or fact?

TamaraEnLaPlaya

Quote from: akela on October 06, 2013, 10:56:26 AM
I failed the co ordination test, (I have mild M.S) did it three times and each time my score went down.  They still gave me my piece of paper for my licence though!!
I'm pleased for you, but it makes it all a bit of a farce, doesn't it? I won't be so concerned next time though!

TamaraEnLaPlaya

Quote from: TamaraEnLaPlaya on October 08, 2013, 00:53:42 AM
Same here, my 10 year UK photocard ran out.

As I said, it can take a long time but hopefully your new Spanish licence won't get lost like mine, so that should improve things. Keep an eye on the expiry date on your temporary licence and go back for a refill if necessary! Remember the temp licence is only valid for here (Spain), not International (ie UK!).

A while back there was talk that residents here had to take the medical exam within 2 years of living here, in support of their UK (or other) licence, even if the (UK or other) photocard was still valid. Does anyone know if this was just rumour, or fact?

Found the answer on Janet Anscombe:
http://www.janetanscombe.com/news/new-driving-licence-rules-from-19-january.html
Contains important info for everyone who is resident here and still on their UK licence.

Admin - should this be moved over to Local Paperwork.......... after a few days when it has dropped down the page perhaps?

Ole Man River

Quote from: TamaraEnLaPlaya on October 08, 2013, 00:53:42 AM
Same here, my 10 year UK photocard ran out.

As I said, it can take a long time but hopefully your new Spanish licence won't get lost like mine, so that should improve things. Keep an eye on the expiry date on your temporary licence and go back for a refill if necessary! Remember the temp licence is only valid for here (Spain), not International (ie UK!).

A while back there was talk that residents here had to take the medical exam within 2 years of living here, in support of their UK (or other) licence, even if the (UK or other) photocard was still valid. Does anyone know if this was just rumour, or fact?

Looked at my slip temp. licence; there is no expiry date on it???  8)

TamaraEnLaPlaya

I'm back in UK at the moment, shivering and damp, so can't look at the temp licence that I still have in a drawer in Fuerte. I'll dig it out when I'm back in a few days (and thawed out) and send you a scanned copy by PM.  ;D

Ole Man River


Captain Sensible

There's no expiry date on my temporary licence.  It's only date stamped when it was issued - 01/08/13.

TamaraEnLaPlaya

How strange! (How Spanish!)
Box no 7 - Fecha De Expedicion (Date of Issue 14 08 2013) and Box no 8 - Valido Hasta (Valid until 12 11 2013) were printed on the last one I was given. The 2 previous temps had expiry dates as well.

Captain Sensible

Very strange.  My temporary licence hasn't got any box numbers ::)

Ole Man River


Hi Captain, no box No's on mine either. I have applied for a Spanish licence not an EU one. Tamara?

Ole Man River

Hi again!
Went to the Traffico Office again this week to collect my new licence ??? - (2 months). 1 hour wait -"Sorry not here yet, come back in another month"!!! >:(  What a surprise? Not.  8)

yorkiecouple

We've got friends who applied in Feb. the lady got hers in Sept because she hounded traffico staff due to her UK licence had expired, where as her husbands still not arrived, they told her that hers was rushed though (seriously)

TamaraEnLaPlaya

Quote from: Ole Man River on November 10, 2013, 12:07:44 PM
Hi again!
Went to the Traffico Office again this week to collect my new licence ??? - (2 months). 1 hour wait -"Sorry not here yet, come back in another month"!!! >:(  What a surprise? Not.  8)

Don't want to say 'told you', but I will!  ;D
Bet you they ordered it when you went in this week, having seen on their screen that DVLC said they could!

Ole Man River

Thanks everyone! Very encouraging!  ::)
But isn't that why we came here; for the laid back lifestyle? Not a problem for me yet as my UK licence doesn't run out until next February. That is why I started the process now.
Hope you are right Tamara.  8) 8) 8)

Captain Sensible

I went to the Trafico office today.  They've had the paperwork from the DVLC confirming my details since September!  I should have gone before.

Anyway, all details were checked today, and they needed to see the UK paper licence that goes with the photocard.  I've now been issued with a 3 month temporary licence - Authoizacion Temporal Para Conducir.

I can pick up my new Spanish licence in 20 days time.  I'll see what happens, and let you know.

Can the Man


whispa

Keep your chin up everyone, I applied for my Spanish license and received my new pink card within five weeks!!!! Not bad eh?

My new card arrived through the post too, which amazed me

Good Luck to the ones who are still waiting, just keep going back, the coffee is nice in the cafe round the corner from trafico!!
whispa

Spike On Q

Anyone tried to hire a car using a temporary Spanish driving license in the EU?


Ole Man River


Hi captain & others interested,
I have been to the Trafico Office today for the latest news. I last went in early December to be told they had not yet got in touch with the DVLA in England! (I first applied, with all docs. & did the medical last September, thinking 6 months before I needed it would be enough!) Today, they had got a reply from DVLA, so the lady, AGIAN asked me for the actual licence. To which I again replied, THAT IS IT ( it's very old, original paper & has no photo)- ever since I got my UK licence I hadn't moved or changed any details, so never got a new one with a photo. In the end she put all the details into the computer, gave me a new small printed document valid from today until 7th May & said it would POSTED to my house! in about a month! Well maybe? Fingers crossed.  ::)  8) 8) 8)