• Welcome to the oldest running Fuerteventura Forum.
 

La Palma

Started by PHo, April 16, 2013, 11:23:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHo

I hesitated about posting this because of the risk of setting jand off again, but on Thursday on BBC2 at 9pm there is a program entitled "Could we survive a mega-tsunami" about the risk of collapse of the Cumbre Vieja ridge on La Palma.
I won't see it myself because by then I will be back on Fuerte and out of range of TV, but I await the tsunami of scaremongering comments that will surely follow.  According to the TV guide it is "a doom-laden account that cares nought for your fears as it describes the horrifying scenario...If the initial flooding does not kill you, the resultant disease and devastation probably will"  Nice!

woe10

This documentary has been on loads of times before. First in the year 2000.

If it does go, you can kiss your backside goodbye, nobody will survive.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon/2000/mega_tsunami.shtml

PHo

I think it is a new one, woe, or at least it has a new name. It is not listed as a repeat.

woe10

Oh, ok.   The end result is still the same though  :-X :-X :-X

Deso

Brace, Brace!   :o   ;D
Regards, Neil
Looking forward to the day I tick the "One way only" box when booking flights to Fuerte. [:)]

woe10

Quote from: Deso on April 16, 2013, 20:39:20 PM
Brace, Brace!   :o   ;D

No good Deso  :-X

Just watched the documentary PHo. Yeh, it's a new one with awesome, frightening  graphics.

The result is the same. Total devastation. Within 10 minutes the whole of the Canary islands will be wiped out   :o
East coast of Africa next, then Spain, Portugal and the South Coast of the UK.

The whole of the East coast of the USA and the Caribbean will be wiped out in the next 6 hours.

Quite an Island, La Palma   :'( :'( 

Paddster

Earth is in meltdown - read the signs.......................

duncolm

#7
PHo was right, the documentary was scaremongering nonsense.....

Anyway, if the big wave comes I reckon Betancuria will still be safe.

SheilaW

Quote from: woe10 on April 18, 2013, 22:24:38 PM
Total devastation. Within 10 minutes the whole of the Canary islands will be wiped out   :o
East coast of Africa next, then Spain, Portugal and the South Coast of the UK.

The whole of the East coast of the USA and the Caribbean will be wiped out in the next 6 hours.
GREAT! If it's got to happen, let it be quick! Can you imagine the panic in the US during those 6 hours? Nobody would wish that on themselves.

I'd rather be here, enjoying the island, when it happens, and nowhere at all just10 minutes later! :D

woe10

Quote from: duncolm on April 18, 2013, 23:23:43 PM
PHo was right, the documentary was scaremongering nonsense.....

Anyway, if the big wave comes I reckon Betancuria will still be safe.

Wrong !!!   

It's scientific fact, it will happen. Maybe tomorrow, maybe in a thousand years, nobody knows, but it WILL happen.

duncolm

I don't disagree that an eruption will take place on La Palma sometime in the future, and that a devastating tsunami may be generated. There have probably been tsunamis generated by landslips from every Canary Island over the millions of years.

However, from the claim that it would be the worst natural disaster ever to strike mankind to the suggestion that the events would take everyone by surprise despite the fact that Cumbre Vieja is one of the most closely monitored volcanos in the world, there was just so much that was wrong with the programme.