**New Cicar Fuel Policy**

Started by Voldermort, April 12, 2013, 11:51:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Voldermort

Picked my Meriva up at the airport on Wednesday gave the lady the cash and was told I needed to pay another 12 Euros for the quarter tank of fuel. apparantly if I bring it back with the same fuel I will get my money back, how this will work in practice wasnt spelled out. but i was told the policy chnged in January due to too many hirers returning the cars with less fuel than they picked them up with..

So sadly not as straight forward as it used to be..disappointing but it could be worse of course...So to those (no doubt Brits) who thought they were getting something for nothing and bringing the cars back with the warning light showing.......many thanks you numpties >:( >:(    try Goldcar or better still Orlando...you`d be made for each other...

To the rest of decency just be aware of what you have to do....still good cars though

Can the Man

Thanks for the heads up Voldermort

and I agree with your comments about the numbskulls that think they are being clever and getting away with not paying, fooks it up for the rest of us.

I always stick an extra fivers worth in the tank just in case cause some of those gauges often take a long time to readjust.

I would much prefer if they gave you a full tank and you bring it back with a full tank. Thats how I do it when I hire cars in US, Germany, Belgium and Switzerland.

notdeadfred

Hmm, so how do you get your money back when you arrange for a hotel pickup and drop off then? Last year (Cicar Jandia office) I was told just to leave the keys with hotel reception when leaving, and no-one even looked at the car, never mind checked the fuel. (and I did fill it to the correct level!)

Going back again at end of April and already booked same arrangement with Cicar, so guess I'll find out soon enough.

I agree with Can The Man - I don't see what could be simpler than pickup and return with full tank - everyone knows where they are then.

KWC

Can't be difficult to stick in an extra fiver if need be, after all the petrol while not dirt cheap over there either, is still cheaper than we Brits are used to paying.

After all and in the big scheme of the cost of your holiday, an extra few quid left in the tank is hardly gonna break the bank. ;)

SheilaW

Quote from: notdeadfred on April 13, 2013, 10:26:02 AM
I don't see what could be simpler than pickup and return with full tank - everyone knows where they are then.
Absolutely! I thought they did that the world over - but not here. My problem is always knowing how much to put in. I don't want to take it back lower than it was, so I put in what I think is OK, then a bit more: when I get back in the car, I find I've made a fine present to the car company that I really didn't intend. Full is full, and no mistaking it: if there's a funny smell and a damp feeling around your feet, it's time to stop filling the tank! :o

TripleH

This has happened to me twice previously with Payless but not the last time. I was charged 30€ and was given it back when I returned the car without even asking.

woe10

This is a SCAM  >:( >:( >:(   Go to Pluscar.   

gattaca66

Pluscar? I second that! We're out again on 13 May and have just booked again with Pluscar, arguably the easiest and least-hassle hire company I've dealt with anywhere. Always have to smile at the queues at the Hertz desk etc as we go past. Did try Hertz.....just the once...almost got over it now!

tmacl

Problem with the return it full option is that it will inevitably cost us more.  A member of staff to check the tank is full.  Then who is going to fill it up and how much are you going to get charged per litre.  Then the complaints about how much they have charged while you are desparate to get to your flight.  The additional charge on your credit card when you get home and by the way you will require to use a credit card so that they can recoup extra moneys due.  The estimate, pay it and return it at the same level to get my money back is fine with me and I have never had it checked on my return and always got my money back.  If you don't fill it up to the same level you don't get your money back and the next person doesn't pay for the fuel.  Bit of a pain if you arrive late to a car with an empty tank but the petrol stations are close to either direction when leaving the airport.

Magoo

Rented a Cicar in February. The car was full, & I was charged an extra €35 or so on my card. This was refunded when I returned the car with a full tank. No one did a check on the car when I returned it though.

Never had any problems with Cicar, but I can see how their old policy was open to abuse by chancers. I always returned their cars with more fuel than I started with. Given the low cost of Fuel on Fuerty, it's nothing in the scheme of things

Voldermort

Returned the car with the same level of fuel as on collection..No one checked it, handed my keys in and was refunded the 12 euros...odd sort of way to do business 

notdeadfred

Just noticed that my previous post was incomplete, so will try again.

Arranged my car online again this year with Cicar's Jandia office, with pickup/return at the Formentera Princess. Hotel pickup is slightly inaccurate - they arrived at the FP bang on time, but took me into Jandia to complete the paperwork and get the car. Car had a quarter tank of petrol and there was no mention of a fuel surcharge. I also got an upgrade from a Corsa to an Astra as they had no Corsa's available. They told me just to leave the car with a quarter tank (I actually left several litres more than that just in case), and to drop the keys at hotel reception.

I'll keep an eye on my credit card account just in case, but very happy with car and service.

brizzle

The car I collected obviously was previously returned empty as I was charged €12 for a quarter tank.
Having filled it to full during my hols, I had not used as much fuel as anticipated and it had half a tank remaining when I returned the car. CICAR refunded me €22 (in cash as I pay in cash) so I was happy with that.

wonkybobby

couldnt see that anythings changed ,,hired car ,,tank on quarter told to return same ,,did this this morning ,no problem

oystercatcher

Probably used Cicar (booked on cabreramedina.com) over 30 times now.  The 'pay for the fuel and get a refund for what you leave in it' system has never once made me feel ripped off. And I am VERY sensitive about being ripped off, believe me.
Auto Reisen once tried to rob me of €2.60 and I'll never use them again.  I never forgive and never forget.

Can the Man

I just had an Astra for a week with CICAR/Cabrera Medina.

Made the booking with Cabrera, pick up from Cicar

between 1/4 and 1/2 tank on collection, was told this and told to bring it back the same, which I did and no problems.

I have never used Pluscar so I cannot comment on them, though I have seen a lot positive comments about their operation.

I have had similar positive service from Payless.es whom I also use, generally I look for a quote from Payless and Cabrera, and whoever is giving the best deal gets my business.

I hope this is of help.