• Welcome to the oldest running Fuerteventura Forum.
 

A great night for photogaphers.

Started by fifi, July 30, 2012, 15:43:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fifi

Photo of Perseid Meteor shower over Famara in Lanzarote.

There will be a Meteor shower between 11th /12th August. The best time to watch the sky in the Canaries  (preferably from an area without too many bright lights ) is from midnight onwards.

http://www.spacedex.com/perseids/locations/perseid-europe-spain.php

http://www.spacedex.com/perseids/



woe10

August 31st will be a "Blue Moon".

When a month has two full moons, the second one is called a "Blue Moon".
Blue moons are rare, and that's where the phrase comes from, "once in a blue moon". How rare? They always happen once every 2-3 years (2.72 years, to be exact). It's this second moon in the month that's considered the blue moon.

Carlo


clash city rocker

Iam over this weekend
Hope to see that and get some pics

fifi

#4
If anyone would like a better view of  the shooting stars  on 12th people are meeting  in the car park beside the campsite in Pozo Negro  at 9pm and walking from there to the town of Atalayita to see the meteor show through a telescope which is provided. There are 100 shooting stars per hour expected.





Those interested can register for free in the Department of Culture of the City of Antigua from 8.30 am to 14.30 or any of the other Cultural centres between 5pm and 9pm or by calling 928549653.

The organisers recommend  that participants wear warm clothes and bring a chair or a mat for a more comfortable position for observation.


I would absoloutely love to be on the Island doing that. Dinner beforehand in Las Caracolitas overlooking the beach followed by a night watching the shooting stars.....life doesnt get much better than that ....pure heaven. :)

Oh well....I can but dream..............

fifi

#5
Starry Starry Night

Sad but lovely.

woe10

Fifi, Atalayita is the renovated ancient settlement in the lava flow just before you get into Pozo Negro. Very black, no light pollution. Also, do you mean Los Pescadore on the beach in Pozo Negro, (the best paella in Fuerte). Las Carocolitas is in Las Salinas. :-*

fifi

#7
Is there not one there called Los Caracolitas too Woe? The two little restaurants side by side, the one I am thinking of has a bedroom at the side that you can sometimes see into...cant remember the name of the other one there. Ive a desperate memory so could be wrong.   Fantastic fish there. :)

Will you go yourself?

woe10

I don´t know about that name Fifi. For the last 17 years I´ve only gone to the Pescadore going towards the campsite. I know the family.
Anyway, what you doing looking in people´s bedrooms,  :o :o

I´ll be watching from Caleta, can´t make it to Pozo Negro unfortunately. I´ll have to find a dark spot somewhere with my camera.

fifi

Its a good while since I was there Woe. I think there was a half door or something open when I saw into the bedroom. Nothing exciting going on there anyway. ;) :D

Hope you get some nice pics. :)

billyc


moodyblue

I registered today at the cultural centre in Caleta and am looking forward to Sunday night , howver the girl in the cultural office did not speak English and I speak even less spanish , I know the meeting place is Pozo Negro , but can anyone tell me exactly where  , or is there anyone else going that we could hitch up with .

fifi

#12
Hi Moodyblue, I think its where the caravan site is.


moodyblue

Thanks Fifi
really looking forward to it .
hopefully we will find it ok , we are hoping that we will be able to follow some others .

fifi

You should find it easy enough. You can see the camp site from the restaurants. They are only a couple of minutes walk away from each other. If in doubt go for a drink beforehand to one of the restaurants and you will probably meet others there. Hope you have a good night. I would love to be joining you. :)

moodyblue

Fifi
we plan to do as you say and go to the restarants beforehand , wish you were here  :)

fifi

Wish I was there too. I even have the duct tape bought. :D....but I will tell you all my news before I put it on. ;)

moodyblue

No need for the duct tape Fi , you know we are good listeners  :)

fifi


Globetrotter

Dont forget folks tonight is the best night to view.

moodyblue

#20
Just came back from Pozo , and I am so dissapointed .
parked up at the campsite at 9 , walked along a dirt track for an hour to the viewing area , stopped at the viewing area along with around 100 others and listed to the guide explain what we were going to see , at least I assume thats what he was saying , as it was all in Spanish .
Lay on the ground looking at the sky for an hour and saw a lot of stars , the very same stars I could have seen from my own roof terrace .
At 23.15 the guide then said something else in Spanish and everyone gathered their belongings and made their way back to their vehicles .
What a waste of time  :(

fifi

Ah no....that is so disappointing. Did you not even get a look through a Telescope?

moodyblue

#22
Fi , to be honest even the telescope was very dissapointing , it was a very small scope and not very powerful , I did get a look through it , but because of the numbers there you were limited to about 30 seconds .
I have no idea why I had to register at the cultural centre because no one took names on arrival and it was not so that they could allocate a time slot for the scope , because that was just a matter of queueing for a look.
The health & safety was non existent , there was no head count prior to departure from the meeting point or arrival back at the meeting point and this considering we walked for approx 40 mins both ways along an unlit dirt track .
Not one of the better organised events.

fifi

Thats a shame. The guy running it was supposed to be the head of the Astrology association in Lanzarote. Im surprised that he didnt have a good Telescope. Guess I didnt miss anything so. Too cloudy here to see anything both nights and far too many lights where I live anyway. :(

colinblue

Far too hazy/cloudy to see anything in Corralejo.

SheilaW

My husband saw one from Tamaragua, then fell asleep :)

Ole Man River

We looked from the top of Tamaragua next to Pueblo C. last night  & the night before. With a lot neck stretching skywards, we did see more or less what Fifi's first picture shows. Very faint & very fast small white flashes in tiny fine lines. You almost thought you didn't really see anything! But then you keep seeing them so they must be real.
If you had a very powerful telescope I imagine you would see a lot more. Was a bit dissapionting but perhaps it's the location here on Fuerte.  8)

Brightspark

Managed to capture this snapshot last night:



Took a while to get a good angle on the photo but think I got it alright in the end

dagwood

I see they managed to get a Rover to mars. Prob wont start after a few days. Local dealer will get a few bob to jump start it.

Globetrotter

Quote from: dagwood on August 13, 2012, 14:11:03 PM
I see they managed to get a Rover to mars. Prob wont start after a few days. Local dealer will get a few bob to jump start it.
But try getting a head gasket done there.