Fuerteventura Forum

General Chit Chat & Queries - no commercial links => General Chat - old => Topic started by: Ole Man River on October 05, 2013, 12:25:20 PM

Title: Spanish Driving licence & Medical Test
Post by: Ole Man River on October 05, 2013, 12:25:20 PM
My thanks to Tamara en la Playa for her very valuable & helpful advice on this.

I went to the Traffico Office in Puerto, -  armed with every document/copy under the sun, as advised!!(I still couldn't give you directions on how to find the Office!) Took my ticket & luckily there were only about 6 people in front of me. Did the necessary at the desk - took a translation saying "I wish to take the medical test & apply for a Spanish Driving Licence", just in case. I think the chap behind the desk was a bit disappointed I had everything I needed! He gave me a form, then went to the other window & paid. Then you go to the Medical Office round the corner, give them some more docs & pay again. Take the co-ordination driving test on screen, bit hairy, as you get older it's not so easy! Passed anyway. Answer some questions. Wait again & then see the Medical Doctor, take an eye test answer some more questions. Wait again & then they give you a form to take back to Traffico. Take another ticket, give the form back. Then he gives a slip & says come back in 2 months for your Licence!
Ok that's it done!
(I did all this now because my UK driving licence is due to expire early next year. Urghhh!- you can guess why? & thought it best to get a current Spanish Licence to save, hopefully, a lot of hassle!) ???

My thanks again Tamara!!!  8) 8) 8)
Title: Re: Spanish Driving licence & Medical Test
Post by: TamaraEnLaPlaya on October 05, 2013, 23:36:36 PM
You are welcome OMR.
Fingers crossed that your licence is waiting for you when you go back. A word of warning: the first time I went back the guy checked his screen and said, 'Oh, UK said we can go ahead - now we will order it!'. And the waiting started again.......... May be worth you checking in a couple of weeks that the order has been processed.
My first licence never arrived and they made me wait 3 months from when I reported that it hadn't arrived before they would order a duplicate! The whole process took exactly 6 months and my licence has only just come through, just in time for a visit to the UK (hire car), the temp licence that Trafico issued me with only covered driving in Spain.
Has anyone on here failed the medical co-ordination test? Do you get a second chance?
On the back of my licence, under the various classes, is a line with the abbreviation BTP and an expiry date - can anyone tell me what this BTP is please?
Title: Re: Spanish Driving licence & Medical Test
Post by: Captain Sensible on October 06, 2013, 10:49:21 AM
I switched from a UK licence to a Spanish one in August, and was issued with a temporary Spanish one.

The man at Trafico did not know when I'd get the full licence as they have to check out things with DVLC in the UK.  He suggested coming back in 3 months.
Title: Re: Spanish Driving licence & Medical Test
Post by: akela on October 06, 2013, 10:56:26 AM
I failed the co ordination test, (I have mild M.S) did it three times and each time my score went down.  They still gave me my piece of paper for my licence though!!
Title: Re: Spanish Driving licence & Medical Test
Post by: woe10 on October 06, 2013, 12:52:36 PM
Quote from: akela on October 06, 2013, 10:56:26 AM
I failed the co ordination test, (I have mild M.S) did it three times and each time my score went down.  They still gave me my piece of paper for my licence though!!

I feel a bit disturbed about this. You failed the co-ordination test 3 times and they sill past you    Should you really be driving, would you be allowed to drive in the UK with your condition. Only asking  :o

Ole Man River, don't worry about waiting for your licence. The receipt they give you is OK for the Guardia if you get pulled. The only down side is, I use my Driving licence as Photo ID when shopping with my cards. 

Title: Re: Spanish Driving licence & Medical Test
Post by: Ole Man River on October 06, 2013, 16:27:56 PM
woe10 - apparently you are allowed 20 "bleeps" on the machine before you fail???  :o  8) 8) 8)
Title: Re: Spanish Driving licence & Medical Test
Post by: woe10 on October 06, 2013, 16:39:18 PM
Don't go if you have a steaming hangover  ;D 8)
Title: Re: Spanish Driving licence & Medical Test
Post by: Paddster on October 06, 2013, 17:48:38 PM
Quote from: woe10 on October 06, 2013, 16:39:18 PM
Don't go if you have a steaming hangover  ;D 8)



LOL
Title: Re: Spanish Driving licence & Medical Test
Post by: pamthomas on October 06, 2013, 18:46:44 PM
Hi all, just curious, why get a Spanish licence in the first place. I have lived here 8 yrs and still got my UK one.
Title: Re: Spanish Driving licence & Medical Test
Post by: Ole Man River on October 06, 2013, 23:12:15 PM
I've been here 8 yrs. driving on my UK licence too. In my original post I explained that my UK licence actually expires next year, so thought better to get a Spanish one now. See above.  8)
Title: Re: Spanish Driving licence & Medical Test
Post by: Captain Sensible on October 07, 2013, 14:59:41 PM
I switched to a Spanish licence because my 10 year UK one ran out this year.
Title: Re: Spanish Driving licence & Medical Test
Post by: TamaraEnLaPlaya on October 08, 2013, 00:53:42 AM
Same here, my 10 year UK photocard ran out.

As I said, it can take a long time but hopefully your new Spanish licence won't get lost like mine, so that should improve things. Keep an eye on the expiry date on your temporary licence and go back for a refill if necessary! Remember the temp licence is only valid for here (Spain), not International (ie UK!).

A while back there was talk that residents here had to take the medical exam within 2 years of living here, in support of their UK (or other) licence, even if the (UK or other) photocard was still valid. Does anyone know if this was just rumour, or fact?
Title: Re: Spanish Driving licence & Medical Test
Post by: TamaraEnLaPlaya on October 08, 2013, 00:58:03 AM
Quote from: akela on October 06, 2013, 10:56:26 AM
I failed the co ordination test, (I have mild M.S) did it three times and each time my score went down.  They still gave me my piece of paper for my licence though!!
I'm pleased for you, but it makes it all a bit of a farce, doesn't it? I won't be so concerned next time though!
Title: Re: Spanish Driving licence & Medical Test
Post by: TamaraEnLaPlaya on October 08, 2013, 01:13:52 AM
Quote from: TamaraEnLaPlaya on October 08, 2013, 00:53:42 AM
Same here, my 10 year UK photocard ran out.

As I said, it can take a long time but hopefully your new Spanish licence won't get lost like mine, so that should improve things. Keep an eye on the expiry date on your temporary licence and go back for a refill if necessary! Remember the temp licence is only valid for here (Spain), not International (ie UK!).

A while back there was talk that residents here had to take the medical exam within 2 years of living here, in support of their UK (or other) licence, even if the (UK or other) photocard was still valid. Does anyone know if this was just rumour, or fact?

Found the answer on Janet Anscombe:
http://www.janetanscombe.com/news/new-driving-licence-rules-from-19-january.html (http://www.janetanscombe.com/news/new-driving-licence-rules-from-19-january.html)
Contains important info for everyone who is resident here and still on their UK licence.

Admin - should this be moved over to Local Paperwork.......... after a few days when it has dropped down the page perhaps?
Title: Re: Spanish Driving licence & Medical Test
Post by: Ole Man River on October 10, 2013, 14:29:26 PM
Quote from: TamaraEnLaPlaya on October 08, 2013, 00:53:42 AM
Same here, my 10 year UK photocard ran out.

As I said, it can take a long time but hopefully your new Spanish licence won't get lost like mine, so that should improve things. Keep an eye on the expiry date on your temporary licence and go back for a refill if necessary! Remember the temp licence is only valid for here (Spain), not International (ie UK!).

A while back there was talk that residents here had to take the medical exam within 2 years of living here, in support of their UK (or other) licence, even if the (UK or other) photocard was still valid. Does anyone know if this was just rumour, or fact?

Looked at my slip temp. licence; there is no expiry date on it???  8)
Title: Re: Spanish Driving licence & Medical Test
Post by: TamaraEnLaPlaya on October 13, 2013, 23:43:23 PM
I'm back in UK at the moment, shivering and damp, so can't look at the temp licence that I still have in a drawer in Fuerte. I'll dig it out when I'm back in a few days (and thawed out) and send you a scanned copy by PM.  ;D
Title: Re: Spanish Driving licence & Medical Test
Post by: Ole Man River on October 21, 2013, 10:31:51 AM
Thanks Tamara!
Title: Re: Spanish Driving licence & Medical Test
Post by: Captain Sensible on October 21, 2013, 10:38:39 AM
There's no expiry date on my temporary licence.  It's only date stamped when it was issued - 01/08/13.
Title: Re: Spanish Driving licence & Medical Test
Post by: TamaraEnLaPlaya on October 22, 2013, 01:23:40 AM
How strange! (How Spanish!)
Box no 7 - Fecha De Expedicion (Date of Issue 14 08 2013) and Box no 8 - Valido Hasta (Valid until 12 11 2013) were printed on the last one I was given. The 2 previous temps had expiry dates as well.
Title: Re: Spanish Driving licence & Medical Test
Post by: Captain Sensible on October 22, 2013, 09:59:56 AM
Very strange.  My temporary licence hasn't got any box numbers ::)
Title: Re: Spanish Driving licence & Medical Test
Post by: Ole Man River on October 22, 2013, 11:53:52 AM

Hi Captain, no box No's on mine either. I have applied for a Spanish licence not an EU one. Tamara?
Title: Re: Spanish Driving licence & Medical Test
Post by: Ole Man River on November 10, 2013, 12:07:44 PM
Hi again!
Went to the Traffico Office again this week to collect my new licence ??? - (2 months). 1 hour wait -"Sorry not here yet, come back in another month"!!! >:(  What a surprise? Not.  8)
Title: Re: Spanish Driving licence & Medical Test
Post by: yorkiecouple on November 10, 2013, 17:55:29 PM
We've got friends who applied in Feb. the lady got hers in Sept because she hounded traffico staff due to her UK licence had expired, where as her husbands still not arrived, they told her that hers was rushed though (seriously)
Title: Re: Spanish Driving licence & Medical Test
Post by: TamaraEnLaPlaya on November 10, 2013, 22:39:06 PM
Quote from: Ole Man River on November 10, 2013, 12:07:44 PM
Hi again!
Went to the Traffico Office again this week to collect my new licence ??? - (2 months). 1 hour wait -"Sorry not here yet, come back in another month"!!! >:(  What a surprise? Not.  8)

Don't want to say 'told you', but I will!  ;D
Bet you they ordered it when you went in this week, having seen on their screen that DVLC said they could!
Title: Re: Spanish Driving licence & Medical Test
Post by: Ole Man River on November 11, 2013, 11:57:10 AM
Thanks everyone! Very encouraging!  ::)
But isn't that why we came here; for the laid back lifestyle? Not a problem for me yet as my UK licence doesn't run out until next February. That is why I started the process now.
Hope you are right Tamara.  8) 8) 8)
Title: Re: Spanish Driving licence & Medical Test
Post by: Captain Sensible on January 17, 2014, 17:53:41 PM
I went to the Trafico office today.  They've had the paperwork from the DVLC confirming my details since September!  I should have gone before.

Anyway, all details were checked today, and they needed to see the UK paper licence that goes with the photocard.  I've now been issued with a 3 month temporary licence - Authoizacion Temporal Para Conducir.

I can pick up my new Spanish licence in 20 days time.  I'll see what happens, and let you know.
Title: Re: Spanish Driving licence & Medical Test
Post by: Can the Man on January 18, 2014, 00:23:38 AM
Well done Steve
Title: Re: Spanish Driving licence & Medical Test
Post by: whispa on January 19, 2014, 08:17:39 AM
Keep your chin up everyone, I applied for my Spanish license and received my new pink card within five weeks!!!! Not bad eh?

My new card arrived through the post too, which amazed me

Good Luck to the ones who are still waiting, just keep going back, the coffee is nice in the cafe round the corner from trafico!!
Title: Re: Spanish Driving licence & Medical Test
Post by: Spike On Q on January 21, 2014, 20:36:45 PM
Anyone tried to hire a car using a temporary Spanish driving license in the EU?

Title: Re: Spanish Driving licence & Medical Test
Post by: Ole Man River on February 06, 2014, 18:16:42 PM

Hi captain & others interested,
I have been to the Trafico Office today for the latest news. I last went in early December to be told they had not yet got in touch with the DVLA in England! (I first applied, with all docs. & did the medical last September, thinking 6 months before I needed it would be enough!) Today, they had got a reply from DVLA, so the lady, AGIAN asked me for the actual licence. To which I again replied, THAT IS IT ( it's very old, original paper & has no photo)- ever since I got my UK licence I hadn't moved or changed any details, so never got a new one with a photo. In the end she put all the details into the computer, gave me a new small printed document valid from today until 7th May & said it would POSTED to my house! in about a month! Well maybe? Fingers crossed.  ::)  8) 8) 8)
Title: Re: Spanish Driving licence & Medical Test
Post by: TamaraEnLaPlaya on February 07, 2014, 00:15:16 AM
LOL  ;D
Because of your age (sorry!) how long will your licence be valid for? If it is only a 5 year one you should probably start the renewal process again now!   ::)
Title: Re: Spanish Driving licence & Medical Test
Post by: Captain Sensible on February 07, 2014, 10:59:49 AM
In theory, my new plastic licence should be sitting in the Trafico Office, as it's been 20 days since my temporary licence(for 3 months) was issued.  I chose to collect it rather than having it sent by post.

I will wait another week before I go and collect it. ;)
Title: Re: Spanish Driving licence & Medical Test
Post by: Ole Man River on February 07, 2014, 23:50:23 PM

                    Thanks Tamara.  Better get started then! No idea how long my new licence is for? 8)
Title: Re: Spanish Driving licence & Medical Test
Post by: Ole Man River on February 19, 2014, 18:08:02 PM
   
Hooray!!! I received my licence in the post TODAY. 13 days, pretty good aye?
    There is hope then!  8) 8) 8)
Title: Re: Spanish Driving licence & Medical Test
Post by: TamaraEnLaPlaya on February 19, 2014, 23:22:00 PM
Brilliant - glad it came through in the end! Now, don't lose it  ::)
4 and a half months in total?  ;D
Title: Re: Spanish Driving licence & Medical Test
Post by: Captain Sensible on February 25, 2014, 12:28:06 PM
I've got my Spanish licence! :D  Collected from Trafico this morning.
Title: Re: Spanish Driving licence & Medical Test
Post by: akela on February 25, 2014, 14:41:21 PM
I applied for my Spanish licence on the 2nd of September and I still haven't got it!!  Good thing my U.K. one doesn't run out until next year.
Title: Re: Spanish Driving licence & Medical Test
Post by: TamaraEnLaPlaya on February 26, 2014, 00:17:31 AM
Quote from: Captain Sensible on February 25, 2014, 12:28:06 PM
I've got my Spanish licence! :D  Collected from Trafico this morning.

Congratulations   :D

The success rate is getting quite high now - bet they introduce another hurdle soon, bless 'em.   ::)

Akela - good luck! Have you been in and chased them, made sure they've actually ordered it?
Title: Re: Spanish Driving licence & Medical Test
Post by: akela on February 26, 2014, 08:34:24 AM
Tamara, have lost count of the number of times have been back.  Think I have my own parking slot now!  And yes they say that they have ordered it from the DVLA.
Title: Re: Spanish Driving licence & Medical Test
Post by: TamaraEnLaPlaya on February 28, 2014, 00:29:14 AM
Sounds like you need to ask them to order a duplicate like I did. I had that delivered to their office to make sure it didn't get lost in the post!
Title: Re: Spanish Driving licence & Medical Test
Post by: Spike On Q on February 28, 2014, 00:51:15 AM
I've just been fined and given 4 points for endangering two cyclists near Lajares (the medal is due). My EU photo driving license issued by the DVLA in the UK Is currently valid anywhere in the EU (since New EU Directive Jan 2013). The points are stored electronically on the Traffico system. Has anyone had recent experience of this scenario,what was the outcome?
Title: Re: Spanish Driving licence & Medical Test
Post by: PHo on February 28, 2014, 14:56:23 PM
The EU are trying to make points transferrable, but they are not so far.  Your Spanish points are deducted from your total (12) I think) and if you get to zero in three years you will be banned from driving in Spain, but this is totally separate from UK points. If you are banned in your country of origin, then your licence is revoked and you can't drive anywhere, but if you are banned in Spain with a UK licence you can still drive in the UK or anywhere else. 
Title: Re: Spanish Driving licence & Medical Test
Post by: Spike On Q on February 28, 2014, 18:41:24 PM
Thanks PHo,  can you clarify  -  are the points just stored on the Spanish Traffico system and the origin of my license unimportant  -  BUT if I stack up 12 points in Spain I cannot drive here?