Ex-pats

Started by PHo, July 31, 2014, 16:00:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHo

The Ayuntiamento of La Oliva, which includes Corralejo and El Cotillo, has just announced that almost half its 27500 residents are not Spanish.  If we keep this up we will soon be in the majority.
These expats come from 92 different countries, which is nearly half the countries of the world. Most of course come from the EU, but surprisingly, there are many more Italians (3847) than Brits (2826). Where are they all?

details here - http://www.laoliva.es/ver_noticia.php?id=2897

isleswing

What's the difference between 'Expat' and 'Immigrant' ?

PHo

SheilaW

I think the majority of businesses here in Corralejo are run by Italians and they're responsible for most of the new ones. I think Brits often mistake them for Spanish as the languages are similar - I know we do.

woe10

Quote from: isleswing on July 31, 2014, 17:03:53 PM

According to the Oxford dictionary ...

Expatriate: Person living in a country that is not their own

Immigrant: Person who has gone to live "permanently" in a country that is not their own.

isleswing

Quote from: woe10 on July 31, 2014, 22:50:33 PM

Immigrant: Person who has gone to live "permanently" in a country that is not their own.

So, by the official definition,does it mean that one calling themselves an 'expatriot' has not made a lifetime commitment to their new home?

woe10

By definition, if you've  made a lifelong commitment to live in your new home in a country that's not you're own and never to go back, you're an "immigrant".

My experience here, is that people come and go, depending on their financial situations, therefore making them "expats."

waggy

Quote from: isleswing on August 01, 2014, 10:49:47 AM
Quote from: woe10 on July 31, 2014, 22:50:33 PM

So, by the official definition,does it mean that one calling themselves an 'expatriot' has not made a lifetime commitment to their new home?
I think the spelling is 'expatriate', Islewing. In an earlier version of the OED it's given as a person who has migrated and renounced their citizenship, an emigrant. So I suppose that a person adopting a new country is a neopatriate or an immigrant/settler.

Books Cards & Things Corralejo

Isn't it wonderful living in such a cosmopolitan place.

SheilaW

To quote the last line of the article linked to in the first post:
QuoteSi tenemos en cuenta que actualmente existen 194 países, en La Oliva están representadas más del 47 por ciento de las naciones de todo el planeta.
This roughly translates as:
QuoteTaking into account that there are currently 194 in the world, La Oliva houses representatives of over 47 percent of the nations around the planet.
And that pretty much sums up why I love the place so much. NOT because it's full of Brits.

BTW: My own personal definition of expat/immigrant is where people think of as "home". When other Brits ask me whether I'm "going home for Christmas" then I know they're expats, and I'm not. Personally, I consider myself to be a European first and foremost (having lived in the UK, Holland, France and Spain). And I'm now as much a Fuerteventuran as my mainly Spanish neighbours on Tamaragua (no Brits at all in my part of it) who weren't born Canarian. I just wish I could get to grips with the language!

isleswing

I think the spelling is 'expatriate', Isleswing

Thanks, I did know that, but my mind started drifting to the possibility that a person who renounced their citizenship and patriotism of a country might be called an 'ex-patriot' and wrote it out by mistake.   :-[  :-[

waggy

Quote from: johnholliday on August 01, 2014, 23:43:37 PM
Ah, a Londoner, eh?

versengeteriks

Quote from: waggy on August 02, 2014, 21:16:26 PM
Quote from: johnholliday on August 01, 2014, 23:43:37 PM
Ah, a Londoner, eh?

And there was me thinking London was considered a shared international territory? like the Antarctic..

waggy

It is, JH but without the penguins.

meggie

Not many people moving abroad could honestly say 100% that the move is permanent as in forever
therefore even they dont know if their expat or immigrant.

Books Cards & Things Corralejo

No, I am from Leeds but I never wanted to live in 'Little Britain'. I love having friends from so many countries around the world and to be able to share views and interests. Also to be able to discuss different perspectives and opinions of world problems such as Israel / Gaza and Ukraine / Russia. I consider myself very fortunate to live somewhere where opinions are heard and not shouted down and where you can freely discuss without the fear of reprisals. I have travelled extensively and find Corralejo a place where your original country does not matter.

Am i an immigrant or an expat - frankly I don't care.

But I would listen and discuss points of view to either side.

Discuss!

Ivemovedon

I wouldn't think theres much 'Little Britain' left these days apart from more rural areas. Britain and especially England must have the most diverse population in the world. You could talk to most about Israel/ Gaza/ Ukraine without starting a tear up. But best to avoid discussing it with Israelis, Palestinians or Russians...even in Corralejo.