N.I.E.

Started by bluefox, September 29, 2015, 12:27:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluefox

has anyone applied for their N.I.E. recently ? read on,  in our case it,s been a bit of a nightmare, we bought nearly 12 yrs ago and only i got an N.I.E. for some reason the wife did'nt, (i think it was all arranged by the bank at the time, and i remember they made a mistake of only putting my name on the deed's, it was changed eventually, maybe that's where the mistake of her not getting the N.I.E.was made) so on three attempt's at the police national applied, every time were handed a form for residencia, that we don't want as we don't live here permanently, and they kept asking for coppies of our bank account's, so for me that's a no - no, we wanted N.I.E,s so we get cheaper fare's to travel around the island's, something we enjoy with time on our hand's being retired. so, our last visit home, end of july, i thought i'd take a chance and sent an email to the spannish embassy in dublin to see if it could be processed there, low and behold ! 2 day's later i got a reply, YES ! was the answer they told us what to bring, p/port, stamped/add envolope etc opening hrs, off we went the next day, we were handed 2 form's (all in spannish) and another one with all the box's in english saying what to do, brilliant, from handing the form's back at the counter along with â,¬9.40 the whole thing took about 10 mins, i could'nt believe it, we were told we'd receive the document within 2 wks, if fact it took 3 day's, from entering the embassy building and leaving took no more than 25 mins, done and dusted, brilliant ! .......so why oh bloody why can't they do the same here instead of the rigmarole they put you thru', so, the way to go everybody.   :D  :D 

cockney

I didn't know that you could get reduced fares with NIE and no residentia.

Ivemovedon

If you can i've made a huge ricket over the last 12 years.

woe10

Quote from: cockney on September 29, 2015, 13:20:26 PM
I didn't know that you could get reduced fares with NIE and no residentia.

You can't. You have to be Resident, with an Empadronamiento from the town hall where you live, then go along to get a travel document which lasts 6 months, I think.

What Bluefox has done is simply get an NIE, which you can do at the Police Staion in Rosario. The cost is about â,¬9.00

Ernie

Have people heard this business about expat school kids on the island being denied the opportunity to play in their local football teams because they weren't born here ?

I was told that the reason given was that these kids have an NIE but not an NIF and that NIF's were only available to those kids who were born here.

My understanding is that for adults an NIE becomes an NIF when one becomes fully resident but maybe I'm wrong ?

But even if I'm right there does appear to be some issue with expat kids being treated differently from those born here when it comes to picking football teams.

Has anyone else heard anything like this ?

cockney

Quote from: bluefox on September 29, 2015, 12:27:57 PM
......... we wanted N.I.E,s so we get cheaper fare's to travel around the island's, something we enjoy with time on our hand's being retired.

Sorry Bluefox but you seem to have wasted your money mate.

JJB

Is an N.I.E. all you need to buy a property ?  Apart from the money of course.

Deso

Quote from: JJB on September 29, 2015, 19:05:46 PM
Is an N.I.E. all you need to buy a property ?  Apart from the money of course.

Yes
Regards, Neil
Looking forward to the day I tick the "One way only" box when booking flights to Fuerte. [:)]

woe10

Quote from: Ernie on September 29, 2015, 17:30:09 PM
Have people heard this business about expat school kids on the island being denied the opportunity to play in their local football teams because they weren't born here ?

I was told that the reason given was that these kids have an NIE but not an NIF and that NIF's were only available to those kids who were born here.

My understanding is that for adults an NIE becomes an NIF when one becomes fully resident but maybe I'm wrong ?

But even if I'm right there does appear to be some issue with expat kids being treated differently from those born here when it comes to picking football teams.

Has anyone else heard anything like this ?

I believe it's been sorted.

bluefox

well, we have now been issued with our certificado de viaje, true enough it last for 6 months and cost 50 cents each, mine being for the third time, and i got 50% discount on travel to 3 of the island's so far, by air and sea, what i do remember is that they asked for proof of us being property owner's, so seemingly we are both now in the system, happy day's.  :D

just to end...... the start of this thread was to show the efficiant service you get at an embassy compared with the local service, in fuerte's case having to go the Police National in Puerto and to say again the rigmarole they put you thru'.  :o

TamaraEnLaPlaya

Interesting BF - what did you use to prove you are a property owner? Did you have to take a copy of your deeds with you when you bought tickets or travelled? When we booked recently with Binta and Armas we got 'resident's discount', nothing to do with property.

On the original topic I'm sure I saw somewhere recently that starting in the near future it will be possible to do NIEs etc at La Oliva to save the trip to the Policia Nacional in Puerto. Whether that will just be for getting an up to date copy of an NIE cert or for new applications I'm not sure - I'll try to find the article for others' info.

erik_tonny

Bluefox, you can get a password at the townhall so you can print the  certificado de viaje yourself so you will save 50 cents every 6 months.
As proof of being a house owner you only need to show the front door key

bluefox

very funny erik ! ha he ! just in case i brought the back door key as well !  ;D

sorry T.E.P. i did'nt explain to well, proving to be a property owner was when we first  applied for the viaje in the first place, and for that yes we did have to show a copy of the deed's, and apparently the viaje can be renewed even if the old one has gone beyond the six month's.  :D :D

Ivemovedon

If its true those that informed the forum you have to be resident to get travel discounts have cost me a few quid. So am i getting this right.... all you need to apply for this certificate is an NIE, your property deeds and a few cents and it entitles you to the same reductions as someone with residencia?.

bluefox

for us HTT it look's that way, when booking a flight etc. we just had to show p/port, nie and the viaje, that is checked to see if we are in the system, that's it.

calculator

It doesn't matter what you think you got away with.

It's very simple........by signing on the padron, you are DECLARING that you are resident. So at some future date, the tax authorities WILL be pursuing you, as a resident os Spain. They do not have to prove anything, you will have to prove everything.

Many years ago, it was wrongly encouraged to signon the padron, irrespective of residency. Now, it is very much not the case.

Also, it doesn't matter that the townhall has "allowed" you to signon. Final responsibility is with yourself.

The people at the police station were following correct procedure and have done nothing to inconvenience you.

Ivemovedon

They may well persue him for tax as a resident but not earning anything and being retired they could well be wasting their time and resources as he owes nothing .I'd say it was their own fault if they leave loopholes in the system, they should try tightening it up if they don't want advantage to be taken of it.

Most they could probably do is try and reclaim any money thats been gained. Even that might not be cost effective.

woe10

Quote from: Holierthanthou on September 30, 2015, 12:57:16 PM
They may well persue him for tax as a resident but not earning anything and being retired they could well be wasting their time and resources as he owes nothing .I'd say it was their own fault if they leave loopholes in the system, they should try tightening it up if they don't want advantage to be taken of it.

Most they could probably do is try and reclaim any money thats been gained. Even that might not be cost effective.

It doesn't work like that. You could say the same thing about a speeding fine. See where it gets you if you dont cough up. They could impound your car for starters.

Ivemovedon

I been reading on here for the last 12 years countless scare stories about what they will do if you do this or you do that..... 9 times out of 10 its just that ,..over hyped scaremongering designed to put the fear of god into everyone. Heard it all with the rental fines, inspectors and fines supposedly everywhere... and it transpires nobody on the island apart from an estate agent was actually tugged. And ones on other islands that were have now been put on the back burner. I reckon bluefox can rest assured he wont be guillotined for the offence. Can always claim dementia if all else fails.

PS. he might not have a car, so whats next, a possee of Guardia Civil kicking the front door down to get his flat screen tv?

Its always been my one big beef with this forum, the small nucleus of members who take enjoyment from dissing everything and making every misdemeaner seem like its the crime of the century.

appy ammer

it is as far as fuerte is concerned ;)

rules are meant to be broken keep up the good work "Viva la revoulution" Freedom for Tooting"
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

fourthwisemonkey

I am sure others can or will correct me but I thought that to get the reduced travel you need to have the padron and to get the padron you are registered as resident (hence why called residents discount). Therefore if registered on the padron then you are officially resident and hence should be tax resident.

Obviously if this is the case it could affect your tax status and also IF the hacienda decide to look they will find no tax return (even if retired/no income etc then you still have to submit an annual tax return even if it is a zero return......no tax return can incur a fine.)

The original reason for being encouraged to register on the padron was that the ayuntamiento had you on the books and could claim from national government as part of the budget.

I suppose morally if you are not resident then you should pay full price for the travel, just like a tourist has to. The rights and wrongs of the resident discount (and legality!!) are for another debate. Yes they were designed to enable cheaper movement for canarian residents to and from the peninsular/other islands to facilitate easier access to jobs and because the islands were so far from the spanish admistrative centre and government but does that need for freedom of movement still exist and why should one euro citizen pay a different rate to another??

Ivemovedon

Even in the UK there comes a time when the tax return stops dropping on the doormat. yes it might incur a fine.. but i'd say its a big IF.a bit like a lot other potential finable offences on the island. Toss a line in the sea with no fishing license and theres a Guardia hiding behind a rock to issue a fine , sling something in the bin in the hours of daylight and theres the copper hiding behind a fence waiting to pounce with his pen and pad at the ready. take your dog within 5 metres of a beach and there they are again waiting to fine the unwary dog walker. Traffico pulling up cars to check for a spare pair of specs in the glove compartment....don't cross a white line even in an emergency on pain of a horrendous fine. You get my drift. Heard it all on here over the years as some think its their pleasurable duty to make the island look like a police state with dire consequences for every little mistake.

bluefox

i give up ! ... as i already said, i started this thread to show how iniffiant getting thing's done can be here compared with dealing with a spanish embassy and possibly help someone else out. all i've got on here is being judged as tho' we have done some major type of a criminal act and being thrown down a sentance. my story started at the ferry port in corro about 2 + yrs ago when booking a return for me and the mrs, with the car, (yes i have a car) i asked about a discount, i was ok but she was.nt (as said above) except i needed the viaje, where upon the girl dealing with us wrote a small note and told us to take to our local townhall, which we did, (as said above) i'm a 69yr old and the mrs is 72, senior citizen's, o a p's, old f...t's call us what you will, then i read here about signing ourselve's for TAX what frigging TAX ? we had very little problem's buying our apt, car or my boat and if we can get a travel discount at our age, all i can say is "good for us" and let the begrudgers keep on begrudging,   :o so bye for now we're off to la palma.   ;D

Ivemovedon

Enjoy your trip. Hope you got a nice discount  :D :D

Brightspark

Few things I learned very quickly with the Spanish

• Everything is frigging hard to do

• Everything is frigging confusing
    • Everything is Frigging hard to find out about
    • Their computers are only there for show, they don't actually do anything
    • Their paperwork and rubberstamps will annoy the life out of you and make you wonder why the hell they live in the stoneages
Conclusion: There is a reason for all of the above, it's make you turn round and (or eventually) say "I can't be bothered".

shabee

Bluefox, thanks for that info. I need to get an nie for my daughter and was told i need to get her birth cert translated into spanish at the cost of 80 euro.
Do you have the email address as i cant seem to get one on their website.

Thanks
Shabee
shabee

Ivemovedon

You may have to wait for an answer. He's on a tax payer funded break to La Palma at the moment.

SheilaW

Quote from: fourthwisemonkey on October 01, 2015, 10:01:58 AMwhy should one euro citizen pay a different rate to another??
They don't! A Spanish citizen from the mainland doesn't get the discount either!

Ivemovedon

So not only does Spain discriminate between EU citizens it also does so with its own citizens.