Electrical items

Started by maximus, April 25, 2014, 04:02:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maximus

Will I need to buy all new eg kettle toaster tv etc or is it possible to adapt uk models? I am unsure and don't want to spend money idiot don't need to .

bridlife

Yes the adaptors are in most shops over here and only cost a euro or 2. We actually buy our kettle, when I need one in England, because kettles over here are quite expensive.

sorepaws

Silly question maybe - cant you just cut off the UK plug and replace with a Euro plug ? - many adapters especially cheap ones are not rated to the full potential current ( ie a 3kW kettle = 13Amps)

Spike On Q

Buy stuff here, it's covered by the warranty and Nort y Sur are competitive

Can the Man

Quote from: Spike On Q on April 25, 2014, 10:57:02 AM
Buy stuff here, it's covered by the warranty and Nort y Sur are competitive

I agree with Spike, when I bought my place first I was bringing over electrical gear and using adaptors, now I just replace locally from Norde Sur

tl2222

We brought all our stuff over - and very glad we did. Initially used the continental adaptors but a couple of people advised that these are ok for use on a temporary basis but not advisable long term because they can catch fire. So we replaced most of our plugs for the local (2 pin) ones, no problem.
We found it useful to bring a couple of multi-plug extension leads - simply change the one plug and plug in all uk plugs, (e.g, for tv, dvd, de-coder etc).
Having been here 16 months, we have bought a new microwave and cleaner and found them to be a little more expensive than the UK, but not bad.

Globetrotter

Quote from: tl2222 on April 25, 2014, 13:07:18 PM
We brought all our stuff over - and very glad we did. Initially used the continental adaptors but a couple of people advised that these are ok for use on a temporary basis but not advisable long term because they can catch fire. So we replaced most of our plugs for the local (2 pin) ones, no problem.
We found it useful to bring a couple of multi-plug extension leads - simply change the one plug and plug in all uk plugs, (e.g, for tv, dvd, de-coder etc).
Having been here 16 months, we have bought a new microwave and cleaner and found them to be a little more expensive than the UK, but not bad.
I used to use that trick of bringing a multi adaptor over and putting a local plug on (2 pin with side contacts to give an earth, not the flat 2 pin ones) but to my horror after using it for just over a year it disintegrated, by that I mean the whole block became as brittle as a biscuit, it crumbled as you touched it leaving exposed wires/contats.