Gran Canaria plane crash

Started by AviationFanatic, March 27, 2014, 15:22:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AviationFanatic

i know this isnt about fuerte but i was just wondering if anyone know about the plane crash thats happened near gran canaria more than what the news knows? the airline etc

shame to see another plane crash :-[ :( :'(

Ernie

The BBC are reporting it as a false alarm. The Canarian authorities mistook a boat for a plane in the sea. Answers on a postcard ...

woe10

Aswer: This is Fuerteventura, they don't know their aarse from their elbow  :o  It was a Crane on a Barge  8)

Brightspark

Quote from: woe10 on March 27, 2014, 16:54:37 PM
Aswer: This is Fuerteventura, they don't know their aarse from their elbow  :o  It was a Crane on a Barge  8)

haha wow, easy mistake to make..... I guess?

http://news.sky.com/story/1233056/ship-mistaken-for-plane-crash-in-gran-canaria

Spike On Q

Better safe than sorry, ask the Malaysians / Vietnamese who seemed to have lost a plane between them!

Weather conditions are not great out there at the moment with high winds and huge seas - and any vague sighting of an unusually shaped craft like that should attract a call to the coastguard / guardia civil just to be on the safe side

You can always stand down an emergency but if a disaster had happened and the authorities had ignored it or missed the signs  -  can you imagine!!

A great reaction from the Canarian / Spanish emergency services and good practice for them too, for the day the real thing happens. Nice to know they are looking out for us

Canary dweller

good old woe
usual stupid comment from her

Brightspark

My question is/are
Is that a crane on that ship?
And if so is that how it was intended to sit on it or did it fall or something?

isleswing

I think it's a crawler type crane. The 'tail fin' is the short couter arm thingy that sticks out behind the jib to balance it.
Tilt your head 45degrees left and it'll make more sense.
Don't know if it's got it's jib lowered flat, or they stuck the whole thing on at an angle. You'd be amazed at the diggers and other things they stick on barges now - I don't know how they balance them for the lift!

BTW We sat on the seafront and watched Tog Mawr  lift the Mary Rose out of the Solent. Now that was one hell of a crane - allegedly the biggest lifting barge at the time. At least that one looked like a crane!

bluefox

pity it was'nt the one from costa antuiga.  :(  ::)

KWC

Quote from: woe10 on March 27, 2014, 16:54:37 PM

That crane is in transit by the look of things.
As the maim jib section that would normally be up in the air, is actually laid down as flat as possible for moving. If it was left up, the additional weight would make it unstable when moving. Especially the sea with all its peaks and troughs etc.