Ryanair brings in allocated seating

Started by Voldermort, November 04, 2013, 09:03:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Voldermort

Just picked this up on BBC News:

Ryanair has issued another profit warning but has realised the opposition have stolen a march on them and from February Ryanair will introduce allocated seating. As always there is a catch, you have to check in 24hours before your flight, but many will regard this as a step in the right direction......No more sharpened elbows ;D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24800604

KWC

Quote from: Voldermort on November 04, 2013, 09:03:14 AM
Just picked this up on BBC News:

Ryanair has issued another profit warning but has realised the opposition have stolen a march on them and from February Ryanair will introduce allocated seating. As always there is a catch, you have to check in 24hours before your flight, but many will regard this as a step in the right direction......No more sharpened elbows ;D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24800604

Another catch will be that you'll have to pay for the privilege like the other airlines charge.

zedzedeleven

Finding space in the overhead locker is becoming a problem, mol allowing two bags will make the problem worse, already cabin crew are taking bags off passengers and putting them in the hold.
(The bags not the passengers). So with allocated seating you will still need to get on the plane first to be able to stow your cabin bag in the locker. If it gets put in the hold the advantage of not having to wait at the carousel is removed, I particularly like walking straight through the baggage hall and out of the door to the car park.
Mentor to the boneheads.

Voldermort

This is O`Leary being canny..His main opponents are Norwegian and Easy Jet and both have allocated seating which has suprisingly caught on with, and being demanded by, the travelling public. MoL, having had to announce 2 profit warnings this year is being forced to sit up and take note of the changing passenger trends. In Caroline McCall of Easyjet he has met an operator as determined and capable as him, but she has come at the problem from the opposite direction,without the bombast and her financial results are on the up.

Still everything to play for and for once the travelling public, might just be the beneficiaries.

Digger Dave

I find the easyjet seating plan works fine for me.You check in ,say no to paying for allocated seating ,then they allocate you one anyway.I usually travel with one other person and I find the earlier you check in the better seats you get.Worked OK so far anyway.Wish Ryanair were bringing it in immediately as I`m preparing for the usual scrum on Weds from Liverpool.
I know they usually use the gates 40-42 which are down the stairs at the end of the terminal.

zedzedeleven

Quote from: Digger Dave on November 04, 2013, 16:42:53 PM
I find the easyjet seating plan works fine for me.You check in ,say no to paying for allocated seating ,then they allocate you one anyway.I usually travel with one other person and I find the earlier you check in the better seats you get.Worked OK so far anyway.Wish Ryanair were bringing it in immediately as I`m preparing for the usual scrum on Weds from Liverpool.
I know they usually use the gates 40-42 which are down the stairs at the end of the terminal.
ARGH ! Don`t tell everyone Dave, it will make it that bit harder for us to get at the head of the queue of "Other Q". There was one time I got right to the front and after the snobs had gone our queue were allowed to go. Stepping out smartly I overtook the stragglers and headed for the steps at the back of the plane. I got on before most of the hoi polloi had wheezed and grunted up the front steps.
Mentor to the boneheads.

fifi

I would hate to have a seat allocated for me. I like to choose my own (preferably three together so I can have a little snooze). I have to be on the left hand side of the plane just behind the wing and beside the Isle....I dont know why but I am a creature of habit and like to sit in the same place all the time on a plane.

I must have a word in Michaels ear. ;)

Digger Dave

You will be able to choose your seat Fifi but you`ll have to pay a small fee,Otherwise you`ll get a seat somewhere.With Easyjet I think its £3 per person per segment. I prefer a window seat so I can look out of the window all the way from Liverpool to Fuerte.

PHo

RA are going to charge £5 to choose a seat, and £10 for front or extra legroom.  Seems OK to me. They are promising to stop the b****y bugle too, but it is not clear if this is on all flights, or just during unsocial hours

KWC

Quote from: fifi on November 05, 2013, 00:24:33 AM
I have to be on the left hand side of the plane just behind the wing

I always try and get ahead of the wings/engines, as I find it quieter fifi. And the view outside the window isn't distorted with all the heat coming from the engine.

Just my own little quirk on jets  ;D

Paddster

I prefer right at the front or right at the back - think the back seats are my favourite because then nobody is behind you  :D

Mr Boo Boo

Personally we prefer being near the front, a) You are near the loo's, b) you get your in flight meals / drinks etc quicker  :-X, c) and you get to disembark quicker...

However that still doesn't stop those selfish people from reclining their seats  >:(

Paddster

Quote from: Nosmo King on November 05, 2013, 15:51:14 PM
Personally we prefer being near the front, a) You are near the loo's, b) you get your in flight meals / drinks etc quicker  :-X, c) and you get to disembark quicker...

However that still doesn't stop those selfish people from reclining their seats  >:(

You must be loaded Graham  :o ;D

Ronnietheblue

I always like front seats, its such a relief to be near the toilets.

Paddster

bedouin

Quote from: Nosmo King on November 05, 2013, 15:51:14 PM

You obviously don't fly Ryanair!

djk99

It'll be interesting to see if Michael O'Leary can keep his wings......... This 'change of heart' by Ryanair may get out of hand and if they truly want to be seen as an airline not going out of their way to be confrontational to the travelling public then MoL will at least need to take a back seat for a while. Ryanair's  double profit warning may prove to be the tip of the iceberg. Regardless of what you think of RYR and MoL they are the most efficient airline on a PAX per Km rate and in doing so have kept prices down on ALL airlines flying routes where they have a presence.  There are quite a few airlines struggling with low fare returns ATM who will undoubtedly attempt to raise their baseline fares on the back of the latest RYR news.  The dividends paid to RYR shareholders in recent times are about to dwindle and the effects of that could be catastrophic for RYR. The knock-on increase in fares will allow all airlines to bump up prices substantially. There are a number of carriers hanging on by a thread, hoping for just this scenario rather than go bust.  The days of the off peak £50 One Way to FUE may be numbered !

Digger Dave

For the last couple of years,Ryanair have tried to ,or have put up their fares.I have thought at the beginning of the year that my short breaks to Caleta are coming to an end.(I struggle to do more than 5 days due to my job) But by the time the end of the year comes round I have been out to Fuerte 4 times and never paid more than a £100 return .April, May, June and November this year.We didnt book December because it was too dear ,now its dropped right back and we could have got out for about £80.Either O`Leary will sell the seats cheaper and have good numbers or he`ll cut the routes right back if that doesn`t work.Don`t think we`ll ever see flights for a Euro again though.   ;-)