Reduced Mobility - Special needs - title needed

Started by admin, June 02, 2012, 18:24:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

hev has made a good suggestion:

quote:
I would have thought a section for the disabled would have been more helpful, with information on which complexes, apartments, restaurants, beaches, enetertainment centres etc etc are suitable for them. Where in each resort to hire / buy mobility equipment. A lot of people have disabled children, relatives, friends.
Could also include in there where to buy special dietry requirements or restaruants bars thats cater for them(gluten free etc) A lot of people ask those questions.
So now we'd like suggestions for the title of said section please.

Globetrotter

A Little Extra Help section

IsThisForumStillGoingWow

I know we have to a bit careful but I don't think that one would work Globetrotter. I think it has to made clear who the little bit of extra help is for. And it shouldn't sound patronising (your's wasn't but you know what I mean [:I] )
Only two things are infinite,the universe and human stupidity,and im not sure about the former .....

Globetrotter

Like you say Hev you have to be so careful nowadays.
How about Persons with reduced capabilities help section.
No matter what you come up with it sounds patronising.

bridlife

people with disabilities

Say exactly what you mean which is politically correct.

Globetrotter

What to Call People With Disabilities.
Today's topic is the language of disability and disease. When I was a technical writer, questions came up all the time about how to write about people with medical conditions. So today, guest-writer Bonnie Trenga will educate us.
When tackling how to refer to people who have disabilities or who suffer from illnesses, the bottom line is that we need to be sensitive to the feelings of others.
The Two Extremes
I'm glad to report that times have changed. It's no longer acceptable to say a sentence such as "Hey, I saw a deaf and dumb cripple today." That would be extremely offensive (1, 2). Here is a list of words you need to wipe from your vocabulary unless you're writing a character who likes to be offensive: "crippled," "mute," "deaf-mute," and "deaf and dumb" (3).
On the other end of the spectrum, some people have been too eager to create euphemisms for diseases or conditions in an effort to make such conditions seem less of a big deal, but euphemisms such as "differently abled" and "handicapable" are now considered condescending (4). There's no reason to try to be too nice about it.
The Middle Road
So how do people who can't walk or people who can't hear wish to be referred to? The preferred terms to use these days are "disability" and "disabled." These words have replaced "handicap" and "handicapped." It's no longer OK to call someone "handicapped" (5), but it is acceptable to use "handicapped" in common phrases such as "handicapped parking."
If you must refer to someone with a disability, it's a good idea to put the person first. So it's better to say, "He is a person with disabilities" than "He is disabled" or "He is a disabled person." The phrase "a person with cerebral palsy" might sound a bit awkward, but since people with disabilities and the organizations that serve them might prefer this phrasing, we should respect their wishes (4).
Now that society is more sensitive to all its members, we need to follow disability etiquette. The United Spinal Association, for example, offers online a 36-page PDF on how to be sensitive to people with all kinds of disabilities (there's a link in the references at the bottom of this transcript) . The Association reminds us, "People with disabilities are individuals with families, jobs, hobbies, likes and dislikes, and problems and joys. While the disability is an integral part of who they are, it alone does not define them. Don't make them into disability heroes or victims. Treat them as individuals" (6).
Specific Conditions
You might be wondering how to refer to people with vision, hearing, and mobility problems or specific diseases. It's OK to refer to someone as "blind," but it's better to say, "a person who is blind" than "a blind person" (2), although organizations that serve people who are blind have names that reflect the old way of thinking, for example The American Council of the Blind. On the site for the Perkins School of the Blind, for instance, people who are blind are referred to as "people with visual impairments" and "people who are visually impaired" (7).
You can refer to a person who can't hear or who has partial hearing loss as "hard of hearing" or "deaf." There's no need to avoid the term "deaf." In fact, there is a Deaf culture, where Deaf has a capital D. Members of the Deaf culture "belong to the community that has formed around the use of American Sign Language as the preferred means of communication" (8).
As for someone who is in a wheelchair, you can just say, "wheelchair user." It's considered inappropriate to say, "confined to a wheelchair" (6).
And as for people who suffer from any number of illnesses, from asthma to diabetes to cancer, you could just say something like "a person who suffers from asthma" or "a person who has diabetes." Sure the people might be asthmatic or diabetic, but that's not who the people are. Their disease doesn't define them.
Summary
In summary, no matter what disability someone has, you need to be polite and sensitive to that person and use an appropriate term.

Administrative

This podcast was written by Bonnie Trenga, author of The Curious Case of the Misplaced Modifier

appy ammer

ermmmm now let me think?????
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

appy ammer

Help for the disabled traveller on holiday

mit1964

Information for a disabled traveller on holiday in Fuerteventura... With sub-sections of Corralejo, Caleta de Fuste and down south....! It should also be found in the search engines easier...

Globetrotter

quote:
Originally posted by appy ammer

Nice one.

mit1964

Admin on a side note... Did you get my message I sent you via the PM?

appy ammer

no mit were not aving another naughty little botty nal section, thats covered in the gay one, (i feel an edit coming on;)

bridlife

Bonnie Trenga, gives a well known lecture in the politics of disability. Those like me who worked in this field for many years, would always ask a person with a disability how they like their disability described. Bonnie highlights the numerous forms of disability, and when I worked with forums on disability issues. It was always best decided to use the heading , people with disabilities, to cover these numerous forms of disabilty. You have to be very careful, what you might put in front of a heading, like this, so as not to be patronising.

Cameron

blimey you get a great idea and all people can think of is being politically correct. Lets not go down the you can't say disabled  its got to be physically challenged route.jesus gord give me strength

probably just offended the religous)

Deso

How about.......'Less Able and Special Needs'  section.

[:)]
Regards, Neil
Looking forward to the day I tick the "One way only" box when booking flights to Fuerte. [:)]

appy ammer

quote:
Originally posted by Deso

How about.......'Less Able and Special Needs'  section.

[:)]

thats already taken by soggy;)

appy ammer

quote:
Originally posted by globetrotter

quote:
Originally posted by appy ammer

Nice one.

Help for the disabled and other less abled traveler on holiday

IsThisForumStillGoingWow

Something a bit snappier or shorter maybe. Perhaps someone like Little Legs (Dawn) who has 2 disabled daughters can suggest something or anyone disabled really. Deso's one is pretty good though.
Only two things are infinite,the universe and human stupidity,and im not sure about the former .....

Billy Brown Bum

I totally agree Cameron, this is what society has come down to..Terrified of giving offence as a result of plonkers who make a professional living out of it......For the record I am in one of those capacities as described above, probably two in fact, and would be grateful of people putting stuff on re diet, doctors,Hospitals  etc but Sweet Lord call it something all of us users can understand, and NO PC please.

Most, not all I agree, laugh at their disabilities, see the funny side of it, and try to forget about them every minute of every day, otherwise it would eat you up. When people say something `not quite right` they dont do it out of malice, so it must be accepted as such.Its all about a sense of humour and telling people like this Bonny character to go away and get a proper job....So there

For my twopenneth I`d like simply `Help and assistance` section..covers it all...Fank you[:)]

admin

Billy Brown - Thanks for your insights.
I would be concerned that 'Help and assistance' might just be interpreted as help and instructions with using the forum. Your thoughts please.

Cameron

Bridlife mentioned the best without knowing it, nice short and to the point

Disability Issues

Paddster

I like that one too Cam.....

bridlife

It was intentional , Cameron. It was what was used in my profession , as a policy officer , and employment officer for people with disabilities.

Generally, people are confused over PC. Have a look at some of the decriptions Bonnie Trenga illustrates , what people have used in the past, to describe people with disabilities. They are horrific. Having a disability myself, and a child with a severe disability, I would hate for this terminolgy to be used today. This is just common decency, and not necessarily about PC.

pennylane

Smilar to LittleLegs situation....we are a disabled family and have visited Fuerte the past few years and hopefully we will continue to.....unless we win the lottery and are able to move over permanently.

The title...DISABLED TRAVEL  is to the point and those of us with something to contribute can add our own appropriate thread titles...

It will be a very useful section for those of us with info and experiences to share and for new members and old who want to also share advice on accomodation, accessability to establishments on Fuerte, airport transfers, airport/airline assistance etc.......

There's loads of useful info we could share.

As with all threads it will have to be carefully monitored by admin because, just like all social media there are trolls or trouble causers who just want to offend and cause mayhem....

If this section is used with common sense it will be very useful for many of us.

Common sense i.e respect and sensitivity

Glen

IsThisForumStillGoingWow

DISABLED TRAVEL could be interpreted as someone who's flight has been cancelled etc. Also included in there (if as first suggested) would be restaraunts / shops that cater for special dietry requirements.
"Disability / Medical Issues" ?  Bridlife / Cameron one.

bridlife

I agree hev, . The disabled traveller, might be better not sure what you mean by Bridlife/Cameron 1

IsThisForumStillGoingWow

quote:
Originally posted by Cameron

Bridlife mentioned the best without knowing it, nice short and to the point

Disability Issues

I meant this post ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ [:)]

bridlife

I see Hev, thanks, I do think people with disabilities covers everything and would be a good title, not everyone might agree.

fifi

"Special Needs" gets my vote. It covers everything.

Cameron

very true fifi. That one could even make the gay section redundant.[;)]