Tragedy At Fuerteventura Airport Causes Major Concerns (translated)

Started by woe10, March 05, 2015, 11:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woe10

BRANDED A THIRD WORLD COUNTRY AIRPORT.

The death on Monday of a German tourist of 72 years at the airport of Fuerteventura, after suffering a cardiac arrest, has raised hackles on the island. More than anything because of doubts about the possibility that the woman, who began to feel ill when boarding the plane that would travel to Germany, was not treated quickly. The airport has no medical services since early 2013, Emergency ambulances must be brought from the hospital.

The president of the Association of Hospitality and Tourism Fuerteventura, Antonio Hormiga, described the case as "a real scandal" and "a human tragedy that could have been avoided.

"a disaster" for the image of the island also "happens two days of starting the ITB" international tourism fair in Berlin. "The consequences it can have on Germany, which is our main source market, the announcement of the death of the tourist, are immeasurable, can not be measured, and here it seems that politicians do not learn."

Although the airport Fuerteventura has five million passengers per year, in this term the Government of Rajoy, through Aena, has first removed the emergency ambulance service and then the doctor's office.

"I do not know if in this case the traveler's death could have been avoided with a faster emergency service, but I know of many travelers who have lost their connection to a slight indisposition that could not be seen at the airport," said the insular president, Mario Cabrera.

For his part, Minister of Tourism, Blas Acosta, lamented that "the cuts and privatizations in Aena cause unthinkable a few years tragic situations that affect the external image of the island makes it alone."

Also Inaki Alvaro, PSOE deputy, demanded the "immediate" service restoration and recalled that "the canary Parliament passed a bill, to which the PP was not added, urging the government to keep operating the service." Álvaro lamented that "Fuerteventura and Canary den a Third image abroad" and insisted that "there is no argument to justify the suppression of medical service, because the Fuerteventura airport is one of the most profitable ten in Spain".

Full Story:  http://www.canarias7.es/articulo.cfm?id=367383

sognet

yes these cut brigade horrible people . don't care whose life they put in danger. a airport the size of Fuerteventura should have proper health cover. but will the people protest no . they will just go back to sleep .like in the uk .
mr wonderfull

Spike On Q

I want a doctor at my house 24/7 just in case I fall ill. And one at Mercadona just in case I'm overcome when shopping and definitely one at Chaplins, we all know the risks!

Elite of the forum

Yes Spike I agree you certainly should have a doctor 24/7 but what type is questionable ;) ;) ;D
do illiterate people really get the benefits of alphabet soup

Spike On Q

Thanks Roar, my point is there are thousands of places where large groups of people gather, take Bluewater or Arndale at Christmas for instance. You cannot have doctors sitting around waiting for the odd medical emergency. You have to rely on trained first aiders and defibulators

Elite of the forum

Exactly our work place has defibrillators and people trained how to use them (and it certainly has more people than Fuerte airport use it per day)and I would say that they probably have something akin at the airport it's not viable to have a doctor/ medical person on site all the time
do illiterate people really get the benefits of alphabet soup

Tamkid

In most areas of the UK they have volunteer civilian "Early Response Teams", self funding. They are trained first aiders, each team is issued with a defibrillator.

Ivemovedon

With the amount of elderly people that travel through Fuerteventura airport and the money they bring to the island i wouldn't have thought it was too much to ask to have a full time medic or someone trained in ressusitation on standby with the appropriate equipment.

Spike On Q

Why stop at the airport then HTT. We could have medics all over the place waiting for someone to be ill. Great use of a valuable asset!

Spike On Q

Are there doctors on duty at all UK airports during opening hours waiting for the odd medical emergency or do they rely on the emergency services and trained first aiders?

Ivemovedon

If you want to talk about what the Uk gives in free medical aid, translators and other services etc to overseas visitors you better make a bit of time for it.

I'm not sure what the UKs stance is at airports for emergencys but i still think it would be nice for fuerteventura airport to give a little something something back to those that provide its revenue.

Just my opinion of course.

bridlife

Airports across the canaries announced profits of 110 million this week. Airports, wherever they are should have full time medical support.

Ivemovedon

The price and standard of food at the airport is enough in itself to warrant full time resuscitation facilitys)

bluefox

i've always been lead to believe that it's an international law to have a fully trained paramedic fulltime at all international airport's, seaport's ect.  :o

nacnud

Quote from: bluefox on March 08, 2015, 15:14:05 PM
i've always been lead to believe that it's an international law to have a fully trained paramedic fulltime at all international airport's, seaport's ect.  :o
Ill think you find in the UK that all is required is trained first aiders it is not a legal requirement to have either Doctors or Parameds on site but they will be available on an on call basis usually the nearest Hospital. There is usually a room designated for medical emergencies.

waggy

Quote from: Spike On Q on March 08, 2015, 00:48:51 AM
Why stop at the airport then HTT. We could have medics all over the place waiting for someone to be ill. Great use of a valuable asset!
You need early response medics wherever the need is greatest, which is where the greatest aggregations of most at-risk people are.
I owe my life to an early response team getting me ready for the ambulance and then the A&E team, once there, resuscitating me for another 8 good years of life (so far) and that's why I'm still here to call you a grade A twerp, Spike.

Spike On Q

Were the early response teams on hand during your emergency or did they have to travel to you. Was there a qualified doctor on hand or was he part of an "early response team". When I lived in England special paramedics where at the sharp end of emergency treatment and they traveled to the scene in smaller faster vehicles alone, has that now changed. I worked in some of the very big Tesco stores with huge footfall. There were trained first aiders always on duty and all the necessary emergency equipment to hand.

Perhaps more details may help the debate about use of resources - not the normal personal insults again

ashworth

Quote from: bridlife on March 08, 2015, 08:12:42 AM
Airports across the canaries announced profits of 110 million this week. Airports, wherever they are should have full time medical support.
I think they make the money from the outrages parking charges. Went to pick the wife up last week and for only 30 mins I had to pay 10c. Robbery. 

Ivemovedon

Money aside you have to ask the question is it the right thing to do to provide 24/7 medical care?. Considering the negligable amount it would cost in comparison to the revenue earned anyway, what better way to show appreciation to those that keep the islands economy afloat. You want a modern 21st century aiport thats cost millions?... then lets have the facilitys to match it.

And if dinero is such an issue they could always fund it by redirecting all that wasted EU money on the dunes bypass. While they are at it it could also fund a dog 5h!t clearing team in corralejo to make some of the pavement areas a little easier on the eye.

paully

Fuerteventura airport in terms of throughput, is actually one of the smallest in the Canaries, and not 24/7.It has its main Hospital, very close to the Airport which would be far more use than the first aid room that used to be available..What really does matter is how fast an ambulance can get to the terminal building.Spanish ambulances usually arrive complete with doctor, unlike those of the UK..

To put it into perspective, apart from the main London airports, few other UK airports have ambulances on standby..Even Heathrow uses the A & E at Hillingdon (or Doctor services if you prefer). The cost of such medical standby facilities would be prohibitive, thus is simply not going to happen..Common sense tells you that.

That said its sad that Aena could not or would not provide a nurse during peak hours at the airport, which at least would give travellers some reassurance. Such, though, are the straitened times we all live in..

Far from a perfect world

I HATE computer thingyss

Ivemovedon

Far from perfect indeed. Common sense tells me anythng to do with saving human life should never be cost prohibitive.

well at least let 'em clear the dog turds off the pavement in Corrie then. On one of our last visits me and the wife found ourselves hopscotching halfway down the highstreet. Trouble was we were jumping around to avoid dog 5h1t and not chalkmarks. :o

FRY

I counted 9 Red Cross vehicles parked up in Rosario this morning. Why can't they spare one of those.

waggy

Quote from: Spike On Q on March 09, 2015, 00:42:20 AM
Were the early response teams on hand during your emergency or did they have to travel to you. Was there a qualified doctor on hand or was he part of an "early response team". When I lived in England special paramedics where at the sharp end of emergency treatment and they traveled to the scene in smaller faster vehicles alone, has that now changed. I worked in some of the very big Tesco stores with huge footfall. There were trained first aiders always on duty and all the necessary emergency equipment to hand.

Perhaps more details may help the debate about use of resources - not the normal personal insults again

Look Spike, everyone on here gets to insult you so why can't I have my turn.
As it turns out, as you say, First Response have small fast vehicles and they'd just finished sorting out another heart attack, literally around the corner, and they arrived at my place within 2 minutes. The ambulance took only 10 mins from 10 miles away so the 20+ mins from first call to them successfully starting to sort me out in Ysbyty Gwynedd, Bangor was ably aided by the Paras.
I think we're spoilt for Med services here in N Wales: I can get to see a Doctor in half an hour and often have to ask if they've a later appointment since I can't get there in time for the one offered; I had my cardiac stents done within a month just 3/4 hour up the road in Ysbyty Glan Clwyd and prescriptions are free for us oldies, and given that this is the Costa Geriatrica in Wales, that's no mean consideration.
Have a nice day, Spike.

nacnud

Bottom line for all our biting at the Airport here, with 4.7 million passengers last year, Luton Airport has 12 million plus travelling thru  and NO Doctor NO Nurse just first aiders nearest Hospital ( I can be corrected on this) is Luton and Dunstable Hospital about the same distance as the Hospital in P del R from the airport here. So if this is not good enough here why do you except it in the UK ?
It would be good to have I agree, but don't think this is unique situation, it can of course be installed by Taxes if anyone wants to contribute!

Ivemovedon

As has already been said what price do you put on life. Airports can be stressful places to be at the best of times and just because the UK sees fit not to provide it why should we not expect it of a country who's very existence relies on those that get on and off the planes at their airport. And yes i'd contribute a tax, in fact we already do with the non residents tax which seems to be implemented for nothing else in particular.

nacnud

The price we put on life is priceless end of, but reality is that we cant have a Doctor every where and as we have seen in the pass what the Australians love to call "whining Poms" in relation to this Island. If you wish to be constructive I would suggest is a movement to organise Defibrillators everywhere in shops Bars on street corners and people trained to use same constructive suggestions not just knocking, look for what we can get not just knock what we don't have. This is not a perfect island but work to make it so!( and what it is I love and will work to get improvement's not expect perfection )

Ivemovedon

Don't really get your point. We've already said you can't have them everywhere. But maybe a busy stressful airport is first on the list and the most logical place to have it if you can. You asked if if anyone was willing to pay a tax for the facility and i said yes i was. I think that in itself is striving for improvement, not just expecting perfection for nothing.

sun lovers

Setting the plight of this poor woman at the airport aside, I understand that the cardiology unit at Puerto del Rosario Hospital only deals with "basic" heart issues. A friend of ours suffered a heart issue whilst on holiday in Morro Jable a few years back. The emergency services were on the scene pronto and got him to PdR swiftly. However, the issue couldn't be dealt with there and he was airlifted to Gran Canaria. His wife had to follow on by ferry! His condition was one which is regularly treated at his local hospital in Swansea.
Probably puts into perspective that Fuerteventura is 'small fry' in medical terms. Forewarned is forearmed.

nacnud

HTT you rarely  really get my point, but Sun Seeker has a point in the Island is "small fry" population Swansea City and County 240300 ( mid Point 2013 ) Population of Fuerteventura 100000 (est 2013 ) basically be realistic Yes it would be good to have a Full Time Medical Doctor unit at the Airport at any airport but even Heathrow don't have one, all I am saying is be realistic.

Ivemovedon

I've said i'd be willing to pay for it. Whats unrealistic about that?

I think i better give up on this one.