All Change in The Air for Mobile Devices.

Started by woe10, September 28, 2014, 10:52:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woe10

As I've always suspected, airlines and over-zealous stewardesses have been conning us for years.

The European Aviation Safety Agency in Germany has issued new guidelines
They state that passengers CAN use portable electronics, including phones and tablets, at ANY TIME during flights

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2770999/Send-tweet-40-000-feet-European-airlines-relax-rules-let-passengers-use-phones-flights.html#ixzz3EbOBbgxV

http://www.norwegian.com/uk/travel-information/travel-services/wifi/

WiFi on board
We offer WiFi on board our flights.

Norwegian is proud to be the first airline to offer high-speed broadband on flights within
Europe. By March 2014, 74 of our 76 737-800 aircrafts will offer free WiFi on board.

Look for the WiFi symbol when you book your next flight.

meggie

Worst thing is you will get all those loud idiots shouting down their mobile phones telling everybody were on the plane now.

AviationFanatic

So how will we know what airlines are certified that their planes are affected by the transmission signals? And how will we find out what airlines allow us to make calls or use the internet? Im probably guessing that they'll tell us as we are boarding the flight

meggie

Saw an item on tv news where a light came on with a mobile phone pictured on it much the same as the seat belt sign letting you know when its safe to use such devises.

admin

Quote from The West Wing in 1999 - when a guy was asked not to use his phone on the flight:

"We're flying in a Lockheed Eagle series L1011. It came off the line 20 months ago. It carries a Sim-5 Transponder tracking system. Are you telling me I can still flummox this thing with something I bought at Radio Shack? "

If phones were a serious threat to aeroplanes we wouldn't be allowed them at all inflight.

woe10

Exactly, they would be taken off you at security, just like bottles of water.

Brightspark

Glad they are finally being honest about it but it's not a good thing to allow people to use them (Unless business/first class)
There's enough rage on a bus or a train when people use their phones in a bad fashion, but a bus or a train you can hop off of if things are really that bad...
4 hours on a flight with some numpty on a phone sitting next to me?
No thanks

admin

Brightspark

Quote from: admin on October 01, 2014, 01:35:35 AM
How about if they just allowed texting?
Would never get away with it though.... give people an inch (as they say)

cllrcollins

Is it possible to pick up a signal at 37,000ft? Once or twice I've forgotten to turn off the phone and out of curiosity I tried to connect to a network but found nothing available.

IsThisForumStillGoingWow

Only two things are infinite,the universe and human stupidity,and im not sure about the former .....

Brightspark

I'm with cllr on this one, I've forgot to switch it off once and out of curiosity looked to see if there was a signal and never was, BUT I did switch on my GPS and looked at the speed it was showing, 500mph.... woohoo!

Magoo

Quote from: cllrcollins on October 01, 2014, 08:57:42 AM
Is it possible to pick up a signal at 37,000ft? Once or twice I've forgotten to turn off the phone and out of curiosity I tried to connect to a network but found nothing available.

Once left mine switched on in my jacket pocket when traveling  back from the USA. On arrival at Heathrow, I found a "Welcome to Canada" text on it