At Last - Monarch First to Ban Reclining Seats

Started by woe10, May 30, 2014, 11:17:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woe10

Is this FINALLY the end of air rage? Airline bans reclining seats on all its planes after 90% of passengers vote to ditch them   

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2643647/Monarch-Airline-bans-reclining-seats-planes-90-passengers-vote-ditch-them.html

KWC

lionfish

Long over due. Easyjet seats don't recline, Ryanair seats don't recline - and they are far more popular than Monarch.
On my last Monarch flight (17 hour delay!!) the back of the seat directly in front of me was clearly broken - I was really lucky that no one sat there and I was able to push it far forward of it's normal upright position.
However, Monarch shouldn't spend too much money just yet as the result of the Huzar v Jet2 appeal could have them paying out millions in compensation for flight delays.
On the other hand they could also have spent the money on better maintenance of their aircraft fleet to avoid delays in the first place!!

bedouin

Why do you think Monarch are the "first"?  They're obviously not.

Deso

Quote from: tiger79 on May 30, 2014, 17:25:26 PM
Why do you think Monarch are the "first"?  They're obviously not.

They may be the first of the airlines that had them, Easyjet and Ryanair have never had them, to the best of my knowledge.
I do like the new Easyjet seats, although the tablet holder is something I think they missed. They give you a feeling of much more space.

An anorak statistic for you, Easyjet have had them on all new aircraft from April 2013 which I think is from G-EZWH onward.   ;D
Regards, Neil
Looking forward to the day I tick the "One way only" box when booking flights to Fuerte. [:)]

appy ammer

Quote from: lionfish on May 30, 2014, 11:37:23 AM
Long over due. Easyjet seats don't recline, Ryanair seats don't recline - and they are far more popular than Monarch.
On my last Monarch flight (17 hour delay!!) the back of the seat directly in front of me was clearly broken - I was really lucky that no one sat there and I was able to push it far forward of it's normal upright position.
However, Monarch shouldn't spend too much money just yet as the result of the Huzar v Jet2 appeal could have them paying out millions in compensation for flight delays.
On the other hand they could also have spent the money on better maintenance of their aircraft fleet to avoid delays in the first place!!

Ryanair flight I was on Wednesday before last had reclining seats
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Deso

Quote from: appy ammer on May 30, 2014, 18:11:10 PM
Quote from: lionfish on May 30, 2014, 11:37:23 AM

Ryanair flight I was on Wednesday before last had reclining seats

Go on, I'm waiting for the punch line here.  :D
Regards, Neil
Looking forward to the day I tick the "One way only" box when booking flights to Fuerte. [:)]

austin7

Well I won't be flying Monarch....  As someone well over average height and with back problems - I cannot sit for 4 plus hours bolt upright with my nose indhes from the back of the seat in front....
austin7 in the sun

lionfish

Pay for an extra legroom seat - but please don't EVER recline into me - you back will really suffer!
Having said that, with all the problems, I can't see that we will fly Monarch again until they sort out their knackered aircraft and flight delays etc.

spongebob squarepants

Saw an advert pop up today by Monarch which stated "Birmingham to Fuerteventura £189 " Round Trip". It quoted outward travel date and return travel dates (almost the same dates I'd just booked a return trip with Ryanair for).Now to me "round trip" means return especially when it quotes the return date. However when you follow the link to the booking system its actually as the ad states - BHX to FUE -ie one way. Is this sharp practice to suck you into the booking system ? At the very least the use of the words "round trip" is misleading.

djk99

It's a step in the right direction I suppose, but as others have said there are a number of problems ahead for this airline. It will be interesting to see how their financial backers stand up to the pending lawsuits - unfortunately, I think they have already demonstrated their probable stance in their reluctance to replace a very old fleet. I fear they may be preparing for an exit. Reclining seats are wonderful- as long as they are in Club/Business/ First class and therefore don't decrease the comfort of the person behind. I witnessed a full flight to Fue once, where a mother with a small child on her lap had to endure the mindless person sitting in front demonstrating his 'right' to recline for most of the flight. Needless to say the cabin crew were powerless to intervene. There really is no place for reclining seats on an economy flight where they have already ensured passengers have minimal space without impeding it further. 

Spike On Q

Nice flight on Ryanair today ex Stanstead. Saudi leased 737 800 with loads of leg room and reclining seats, even ice with the drinks. They are getting six to fill the summer capacity.

IsThisForumStillGoingWow

Aren't Saudi Airline Arabic? So.....you can have ice with your lemonade or milk then I guess?
Only two things are infinite,the universe and human stupidity,and im not sure about the former .....

Biggles

QuoteAren't Saudi Airline Arabic? So.....you can have ice with your lemonade or milk then I guess?
That's true . alcoholic beverages are not served on Saudi Airlines.

However, as with e-cigs for smokers you are permitted to use e-glasses.
These e-glasses contain no alcohol but with just water added it will simulate the effects of drinking.

After two sips a mild electric current is passed through your tongue ensuring that your speech is slurred.
Another charge after 6 sips blurs your vision and as you finish the glass a higher charge jolts your stomach into vomiting.

The e- glass pictured below has a handy pouch in the back for a sick-bag.

Don't get your hopes up though, the UK government is trying to ban the e-glasses as they consider them too tempting for under age drinkers

isleswing

Looks like a good alternative to a hip flask when you're on the golf course, too  :D