Using a TV as computer monitor.

Started by cockney, September 22, 2013, 23:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cockney

I am trying to connect my Samsung laptop to my Sony Bravia tv to use as a monitor. I have a HMTI cable but when I connect it I get 'No Signal'. Is there a clever clogs out there who can help. :(

Globetrotter

Quote from: cockney on September 22, 2013, 23:46:32 PM
I am trying to connect my Samsung laptop to my Sony Bravia tv to use as a monitor. I have a HMTI cable but when I connect it I get 'No Signal'. Is there a clever clogs out there who can help. :(
Do you mean an HDMI cable ?
You connect from your laptop to your TV taking note of which number the port is.
Then on your TV remote press the button marked SOURCE or somethin similar, choose whichever number port then OK. thats the TV bit.
Then go to Control Panel in Windows and click Display, then choose Change Display Settings (Windows 7) click on number 2 image and choose Identify.
If there is an option to Display Desktop or Extend Desktop on other monitor choose yes,
other versions of Windows vary but very similar instructions.
Most newish TVs will send the info to your laptop about make, screen resolution etc.
To watch a window on your TV simply drag the window across your laptop to the right, where it will vanish and reappear on your TV.
You might need to experiment with the screen resolution in options to get the full screen.
Hope this helps.

admin

Globetrotter's advice is spot on.

You may also need to go into your laptop's Sound Settings to ensure the sound comes from your TV and not the laptop.

Globetrotter

Quote from: admin on September 23, 2013, 16:28:43 PM
Globetrotter's advice is spot on.

You may also need to go into your laptop's Sound Settings to ensure the sound comes from your TV and not the laptop.
Yes forgot about that Norrin.
Usually your TV will come up under sound settings as a device in its own right once connected, just set your TV up as default, or mute your PC and choose the TV saves having sound coming from both.

admin