Old Sport Tavern - Sports Bar + Map

Started by fatherted, August 16, 2013, 13:20:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fatherted

This has got to be one of the best as regards value for money. Never had a bad meal or drink in there and with all the TV's excellent to watch sports.

[map]?=28.398129361348513,%20-13.86052323764261=17=The Old Sport Tavern=roadmap[/map]

annalivia

Haven't been there in a while but have to agree the meals are very good value and we've never had any complaints about the food. Only complaint is that the toilets are situated downstairs and in a very quiet lane way at the rear of the building.

Paddster

fatherted

Upstairs above the big China shop where the main taxi rank is.

Kat Nuts

Didnt it get taken over by new owners a couple of months ago?

fifi

We were serenaded on Sunday night by Alberto who was singing and playing Spanish guitar in the Sports tavern. He created a lovely atmosphere and gave everyone a warm welcome as they arrived. It is so nice to hear Spanish music in Caleta.

Our meals were lovely. The service was very good and we will return soon. :)

Paddster

Alberto's brilliant,seen him loads of times - excellent guitarist  ;D

Can the Man

I was there about 2 years ago and ended up having a row with the bar man, who basically insulted my Irishness, so never went back.

Interesting that there are new owners and if Alberto is playing there it kind of gives it an air of je ne sais que, I'll give it a go in October, based on Fifi's recomendation. ;)

Harlequin

Can the Man

Gave it a go tonight. Won't be going back beer (fosters) was terrible and service was slow :(

charlatanefc

Went in here for a drink to watch Everton against Stevenage last sunday, and place was dead.  Seen there was a live act on later that night of "The Modfather", Paul Weller / Mod tribute thing that would have liked to have seen.  Ordered a pint of local beer and a local gin and tonic for Mrs EFC, came to over 7 Euros  :o

Served by some slip of a kid, who looked disgusted that he was disturbed and actually had to pour some drinks.  Wouldn't go near the place again, if my life depended on it

Can the Man

I decided to put a 1 star rating on this place, just to show how bad it is, if people don't vote, then you have no way of knowing how good or bad a place is.

It's like tipping after a meal, if you don't tip then the staff can be of the opinion that you just don't understand the tipping system, however, if you get a bad meal/service, tip €1 or £1, and then they will know how bad they have been.

gills4eva2

This place is tops. Been taken over in the past few months and if you bother to talk to the new owners you will find out they have a few new ideas in the pipeline. They have a small compact team running the place. I hate it when people rip into bars just because its quiet, well so is every other bar in caleta at this time of year. Give the people some respect and you might get some back. I am a regular visitor to the bar and prices are no different to any other bar in the area. Love the place and the people and would highly recommend a visit.

charlatanefc

Quote from: gills4eva2 on February 17, 2014, 15:30:03 PM
This place is tops. Been taken over in the past few months and if you bother to talk to the new owners you will find out they have a few new ideas in the pipeline. They have a small compact team running the place. I hate it when people rip into bars just because its quiet, well so is every other bar in caleta at this time of year. Give the people some respect and you might get some back. I am a regular visitor to the bar and prices are no different to any other bar in the area. Love the place and the people and would highly recommend a visit.

With all due respect, it was about 3 weeks ago I went in there.  No bias, or pre-conceived ideas about the place.  Nothing to do with it being quiet, just poor quality drinks and awful service.

I would have quite happily had a chat with the staff, but they were more interested in playing with their phone.

Can the Man

As I said before gave it a go twice and won't be bothering to go back, beer was terrible, service was c r a p and the attitude was all wrong.