Optimistic for Corralejo

Started by Tamkid, March 18, 2013, 19:58:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamkid

Having just got back from ten great days in Corralejo, I feel happier about the place than I have done for a number of years. The place was buzzing, it could be because it was Carnival week and top level sporting events were taking place, only time will tell.

The Local Authority seem to have a vision for making the town and surrounding area attractive for a wide cross section of European tourists not just the Brits. The surrounding land has been tidied up, road markings improved, most of the main street is finished to a very good standard, a few new business's have opened. From what I observed things are going in the right direction, granted, the atmosphere is not the same at night regarding noise levels, as a veteran of a lot of late nights in the Atlantico Centre this did'nt bother me in the slightest, they have slapped the noise ban on all of the town bars so its not just Atlantico bars. Out of interest I was approached outside of the Atlantico Centre by two Street Urchins one of them was off his tiny scope on some substance trying to drag me into FLICKs (20:30), they do themselves no favours.

I did intend to use the trip to put my property on the market, after this visit have decided to give it another year just to see how things turn out. Fatherted post was just about spot on and PeterHeirmans remarks hit the nail on the head. My own opinion for (what it is worth) is business's will have to get onboard as to what the Local Authority are trying to achieve,thats if they want to save themselves stress, its not a "them and us" situation, its a survival situation for the Islanders, they had to do something and I think they are making a good job of it, more than my UK Local Authority are, absolute no vision, just rate increases with nothing to show for them.

RobnHelen

Hi Tamkid,

Nice to hear some positive news for a change!

Did you notice if the noise bans applied to the San Migel/Cornerhouse Rock bar and the Rock Cafe? I was always amazed how these bars could get away with the volume yet a place like Robin's Nest was hassled for noise that no-one could hear outside the bar!

We are out in a couple of weeks and we are really looking forward to it! 8)
Rob & Helen, Walsall

Tamkid

Yes, it applied to them all, very quiet compared to past times. I was talking to a Spanish neighbour who works in the Town Hall, he reckons that they have looked at
Caleta which operates in profit and are trying to create that type of atmosphere with extra's, for want of a better explanation. Unsure if I interpreted his explanation correctly, we each speak very little of the others lingo.

peggy

I am all for progress but i do hope the powers that be dont make  Corralejo too much like Caleta. We have been going to Corralejo for many many years because we like the character and atmosphere. we love a wander round the old town and having a wee tipple down by the harbour. I would hate it to turn into a man made tourist resort like Caleta.

Voldermort

Your right Peggy, but I`m afraid the Local Authority haven`t got a clue what they are actually trying to create and blundering about in glorious fashion. Its the businesses who are in the best position to decide what sells and what doesn`t and a responsive Council should listen to them. What works in one town usually doesnt in another. Still we are out early April and hope the buzz is still continuing....

Tamkid

Hi Peggy, I dont like Caleta myself, but have friends that visit at least twice a year. Can never imagine Corralejo having that type of atmosphere, its just the noise levels are not what they were, everything else is the same, if not better.  Everyone is different, just hope you have a great holiday.

raspberriesandcream

so basically they are pulling the Atlantico into line with all the other businesses. weve spent many a night in other bars such as Rock Island & Imagine where the plugs have had to be pulled at midnight...and always thought it unfair that they could keep that racket in the centre going til early on.. 8)

SheilaW

Quote from: raspberriesandcream on March 19, 2013, 20:11:34 PM
weve spent many a night in other bars such as Rock Island & Imagine where the plugs have had to be pulled at midnight...and always thought it unfair that they could keep that racket in the centre going til early on
Absolutely! That was so unfair! I really didn't understand why the Atlantico places could make so much noise, so late. I think that if that's what their public really want, and if they're doing as well as they seem to be, they can pay for aircon and then keep their music behind closed doors. I really don't think it's fair the way they expected everyone else to listen to it. My husband plays as a guest in Bugaloo sometimes, and the audience could actually hear the roar of recorded music over the loudspeakers of the live musicians. I think things had got a bit out of hand, but I'm so glad to see those bars open again. I really thought the council had cut its own throat for a while, and I'm sure it could have been handled much, much better.

What I'm not in favour of is persecuting all these joints, all the time. There's always been a midnight curfew, hasn't there? And a lot of places, like RIB, have always observed that rigidly. But even then there are complaints.  >:( People are on holiday in Corralejo, for goodness sake! They must be allowed to enjoy themselves! Surely they can be allowed to do that until midnight, then carry on behind closed doors if they want to.

A question I've asked and haven't yet got an answer to is "How do the local businesses get their views heard?". Is there an association representing them? Led by people who speak fluent (or indeed, are) Spanish? All those individual business owners, many of them non-locals, need to join together and decide what they want and need from the town. Many of the councillors making the decisions probably have no idea about international tourism.

I'm optimistic, too. But then I moved out here, lock stock and barrel, so I can't afford to be anything else! It just has to stay a really nice place to be!  ;D

fifi

There was a business association in Corralejo a few years ago when I started the campaign for flights Sheila. I dont know if it is still operating but I presume it is. I will have a look in my contacts lists and see if I still have an address for them. In Caleta AECA are the business association.

fifi

I cant find it in my contacts at the moment Sheila. I cant remember the name of the lady that I was dealing with to be honest because it is a few years ago but Maitland from Whereabouts should know if you pop in to see him. I see his name posted here....http://www.docstoc.com/docs/41975573/Minutes-of-initial-meeting-of-Corralejo-business-people-to-explore

SheilaW

Yes, I wondered if Maitland was involved, fifi - he's the ideal representative as long as he hasn't rubbed too many important people up the wrong way by now. ??? ;)

I'm not actually professionally concerned - just an interested party as I live here and really enjoy the night life. In fact, the main reason we moved here was the music scene. Of course, the weather's great, but I was already living in the south of France! 8) I do work here but as a home-based translator/editor with clients in many parts of the world, except (strangely enough) in Spain, so the demise of tourism wouldn't harm my livelihood, "just" my enjoyment.

fifi

Gosh you have some life Sheila. I love the South of France. Did you move for better weather?  Its fantastic the way you can work anywhere. Enjoy. :)

SheilaW

Quote from: fifi on March 21, 2013, 20:07:42 PM
Did you move for better weather?
I think the weather is a daft reason for uprooting your whole life, leaving friends and family, etc, etc, fifi. No, the weather is certainly the icing on the cake here 8) but what I came for was the sense of community, the atmosphere, both among Brits and on the Spanish-speaking and wider cosmopolitan scenes. And I think a lot of the tourists sense that, even if they aren't consciously aware of it: they talk about the island being "welcoming" above all. Many put that at the top of their compliments, not the sea, the sun or the surf. A few don't see beyond the slightly tatty state of the place (it has to be said, doesn't it? :-[), but many can see that sanitised resorts sometimes have just skin-deep beauty, whereas here the attraction of the place is much more real. That's how I see it, anyway.

fifi

Yes I agree, for me it always felt  like home and also it is very easy to make new friends on the Island. I love the raw beauty of the Island. I love Lanzarote too. Once you get away from the Tourist resorts it is magnificent.