Ryan Air Residents Discount Query

Started by Blue Eye, September 15, 2012, 12:28:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Eye

Hi guys,

Can anyone tell me how to meet the criteria on the Ryan Air website to qualify for residents discount on internal Spanish flights, I do qualify but cannot for the life of me get the website to accept my information and approve the request.  Any assistance or advice to help overcome this is greatly appreciated.

woe10

I had the same problem. It kept saying my NIE and Padron were invalid. It did my head in so I booked with another airline with less hassle than Ryanair. Sod them.

The only thing I can think is that my 6 month period on my Padron will be expired on the date I fly. I am told that for travel, your Padron has to be re-newed after 6 months. Don´t know if this is right or not.

Carlo

We had exactly the same problem last month, although after posting on here and asking friends, I finally managed to sort it.

In the drop-down box that asks 'proof of residency' instead of selecting 'Local Council Residency Certificate', we selected 'Resident Card'.

Where it then asks for document number, the NIE is inputted in the following format: X0000000Y , ie upper case letters and no hyphen.

This method may well have changed now, as our flights were prior to 1st September. From 1st September you need a newly introduced certificate - Certificado de Empadronamiento Para Viajar (para viajar = to travel), which you get from the ayuntamiento (town hall). I imagine with this new certificate, you will have to select 'Local Council Residency Certificate' from the drop-down box and input the document number.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on  ;)

mit1964

The certificate - Certificado de Empadronamiento Para Viajar is only required at check in as proof you are entitled to the discount. If you do not have one you will be charged at full price.... The same with any airline....

Do as Carlo says and you should be okay!!

"In the drop-down box that asks 'proof of residency' instead of selecting 'Local Council Residency Certificate', we selected 'Resident Card'.

Where it then asks for document number, the NIE is inputted in the following format: X0000000Y , ie upper case letters and no hyphen."

that is how we got the discount...

Juliefuller

Quote from: mit1964 on September 16, 2012, 14:28:03 PM
The certificate - Certificado de Empadronamiento Para Viajar is only required at check in as proof you are entitled to the discount. If you do not have one you will be charged at full price.... The same with any airline....

Do as Carlo says and you should be okay!!

"In the drop-down box that asks 'proof of residency' instead of selecting 'Local Council Residency Certificate', we selected 'Resident Card'.

Where it then asks for document number, the NIE is inputted in the following format: X0000000Y , ie upper case letters and no hyphen."

that is how we got the discount...

thank you so much, this has driven me mad also, I have every piece of paper know to man to proove that I qualify for the discount, but as ever Ryanair make it almsot impossible to get it......thanks again  8)

fifi

Just in case anyone is confused by the documentation. I got my new certificate recently from the Ayuntamiento for travel. The actual name on the document is CERTIFICADO DE RESIDENCIA . It is different from the old Empadronamientos for travel.

Because the rules changed on 1st September I presume that you now have to select Local Council Residency Certificate on the drop down menu on Ryanairs website when booking and not Residents card.

You can be denied boarding by Ryanair if you do not have this certificate or if it is out of date. http://www.ryanair.com/en/questions/what-is-a-spanish-resident-discount

woe10

The Drop-Down box doesn´t say "Residents Card" anymore. Only "Local Council Residency Certificate". At least it did when I tried to book to Madrid a couple of weeks ago.
As mine will not be valid for discount at time of flying ( I presume that´s the reason ) it wouldn´t accept the number.  So I have to renew my "Padron", although I am now flying with Air Europa. They didn´t ask for it. You only have to show it at the airport on the day you check in. Ryanair, too much hassle, never again.

PS: Forgot to mention, although the Padron is indefinate, it cannot be more than 6 months old at time of flying, in order to get discount. ( so I´m told ).

vanadiss

Hi!
I have the similar problem. Im trying to buy tickets on ryanair with my certificado de residencia which I got on the 31. august 2012. But when im trying to type the number of this document it keeps saying that I put the wrong number! Any advices please!? cheers!

vanadiss

And another question! Do u think It would be possible If i would buy a ticket for my friend on ryanair using my NIE number but then on the airport showing just the recidence certificate? Can they see on the airport or on the ticket, on which document was I making the booking? Cause then we would have the same NIE but of course each one her own residence certificate. Thanks for the answer!

fifi

Quote from: vanadiss on October 01, 2012, 19:32:22 PM
And another question! Do u think It would be possible If i would buy a ticket for my friend on ryanair using my NIE number but then on the airport showing just the recidence certificate? Can they see on the airport or on the ticket, on which document was I making the booking? Cause then we would have the same NIE but of course each one her own residence certificate. Thanks for the answer!

I am guessing that you might not get away with that because of what Ryanair say on their website....

Ryanair will refuse to allow passengers with discounted tickets to board if they are unable to provide their valid proof of residence which matches the details provided to us at the time of booking (along with the required travel document required to travel on a Ryanair flight).

The certificate has a date of issue on it so they may pick up on the fact that it was not issued at the time of booking.

Ryanair are so picky. If in doubt phone them to check. Better safe than sorry.

vanadiss

we already have our certificates! but the problem is when im trying to type the number of them it says that the number of the document is wrong. so I've book already my ticket putting my NIE number cause "A DNI OR NIE CARD WILL NO LONGER BE ACCEPTED AS PROOF OF RESIDENCE (EVEN IF USED FOR ID AT THE POINT OF PURCHASE)." so i understood that i can make an reservation with the NIE but then just show the residence certificate. and the problem is with my friend who doesnt have a NIE....

fifi

Hi Vanadiss, I have just checked my documents and 
there is an extra number on the Certificado de residencia. It begins with X0  where as the number on the green residency cert has just an x so try using the number on the Certificado de residencia instead. That may be the reason you are having difficulty with your booking.  The number is appearing as a NIE number and not a Certificado de Residencia number on their website I am guessing.

Does your friends Certificado de Residencia not have any number in the section where it says Documento tarjeta de residencia?

I dont know if the tickets need to be booked separately or not.

woe10

I tried all that Fifi, Leaving off the 0, leaving off the X and the last letter. Every combination but it woudn´t have it. I think Ryanair´s computers are up the spout  :'(

PS:  I went yesterday to the police station to re-new my Residencia, as my address has changed, and is different from my Padron.
The man said the new ones are Plastic Cards  :o Watch this space.

Also, it only costs €10.30 , dont get ripped off by an Assesoria, do it yourself. 

fifi

Hi Woe, I decided to do a mock booking and like yourself tried and tried again....

I finally got it to work by choosing the Local residency certificate option (about four options came up) and leaving out both the X and the 0  and putting in just the number, no hyphen plus  the E at the end.

Its a crazy system.

Try a mock booking and see if that option works for you too.

annalivia

In this months Hoy magazine it says that you can download both your travel cert and padron for free online from the Ayuntamiento. You have to apply online for a pin number which will allow you to access the site. Sounds simple  :D

fifi

It must be simpler than Ryanairs booking system Ann. :D :D :D Are you going to try it?

I paid €1.05 for mine.

annalivia

I might give it a try. The pin will go to my Fuerte address so I'll have to wait another couple of weeks. I've only booked a one way flight. Waiting on the bargains.  ;D Any idea what the return options are now? Haven't studied them in a while.

fifi

Fue/Madrid/ Dublin seems to be fairly good as long as there are no delays. You arrive in Madrid around 4.30 and leave around 6 Anne. I havent looked at any of the other options recently.

Let us know how you get on with the PIN. :)

woe10

Quote from: annalivia on October 02, 2012, 21:18:32 PM
In this months Hoy magazine it says that you can download both your travel cert and padron for free online from the Ayuntamiento. You have to apply online for a pin number which will allow you to access the site. Sounds simple  :D

do you have the link ??

annalivia

annalivia

http://www.islandconnections.eu/1000003/1000008/0/37840/business-article.html
An article in the islandconnections saying there might be a cut to the 50% discount in the future due to cutbacks.

djk99

Quote from: fifi on October 01, 2012, 15:57:05 PM
Just in case anyone is confused by the documentation. I got my new certificate recently from the Ayuntamiento for travel. The actual name on the document is CERTIFICADO DE RESIDENCIA . It is different from the old Empadronamientos for travel.

Because the rules changed on 1st September I presume that you now have to select Local Council Residency Certificate on the drop down menu on Ryanairs website when booking and not Residents card.

You can be denied boarding by Ryanair if you do not have this certificate or if it is out of date. http://www.ryanair.com/en/questions/what-is-a-spanish-resident-discount
I wonder if it's changed again???  I picked mine up yesterday.....A white A4 page with the purple €3 stamp and rubberstamped  twice
It lists  my details and a further nine lines of text confirm my residency and access to travel discounts.
The Certificado Num is in the form of 201200000001234    ((last 4 numbers changed !)  No letters anywhere in the number- just states after the number that it expiries in 6 months.    Needless to say the Ryanair website will NOT accept it. I have selected the 'Local Authority Residence Cert' option....but, it comes up as 'Document number not Valid'
I can only hope that as I obtained it yesterday, the number has not yet entered their system??
Any ideas anyone ??

fifi

My Certificado de residencia cost €1.05. It has the  Ayuntamiento address on the left, codigo municipal on the right and Nro Cerfificado and has two blue stamps on it  so sounds the same as yours apart from the price but prices may vary in different ayuntamientos.

I will try it again to see if it is still working using the combo I posted above.

Back in a sec....going to do a mock booking again. :)

fifi

Yes it is working for me.

Im using the seven numbers plus a capital E at the end

ie. Certificado de Residencia  (Travel one from the Ayuntamiento)says X08888888E

Certificado de registro de ciudadano de la union  (Green residencia)  says X8888888-E

I use 8888888E and it works that way. Try that and see if it will work for you. :)

Did you specify that you wanted one for travel? I was asked which kind I was looking for a couple of weeks ago.

djk99

Hi Fifi, Thanks for your help. Yes he did specify it was for travel....I got the other one last month.   My number has 15 digits !!!!   and no letters whatsoever!!   I'll take a look at a friend's certificate he obtained his from the same office and used it successfully with Binter a few days ago. Have Ryanair got a ticket sales desk at the airport ??   That may be less hassle ??

fifi

It costs more to buy your tickets at the airport DJK99 so you would be better off doing it online.

This is the bit to look out for on the certificate....

y para que asi const a los efectos indicados por el/la interesado/a en su correspondiente solicitud y, a tenor de lo espatlecido en RD sobre certificadiones de residencia a efectos de la obtencion de labonificacion en las tarifas y determinacion del procedimiento de liquidacion para subvenciones al trafico regular entre las islas canaria

The number that is working for me is the same as my residencia number but without the X  and the hyphen.

If yours is similar to your Residencia number try using that number and see what happens.

fifi

fifi

Try the 7 numbers after the 2012.in the number you posted above (if the other numbers are similar to your residencia number)...and if you are an extranjero put in an E and see if that works????

djk99

No combination seems to work !!  I'll give it a few days to see if it's due to my certificate having just been issued........thanks for the help!  I can see why RYR frustrates the traveller, but, they are the only airline fitting my journey  :(

fifi

I hope it works out for you Djk99. Good luck. :)