Fuerteventura Forum

General Chit Chat & Queries - no commercial links => Car hire, transfers, buses and taxis => Topic started by: mintyjr on January 13, 2015, 13:54:53 PM

Title: Payless - my first bad experience
Post by: mintyjr on January 13, 2015, 13:54:53 PM
I've used payless twice before and as all previous postings, found them to be brilliant....until now!

I arrived at the desk only to be told that they were overbooked (this is the downside of a 'no deposit' reservation I suppose.
I was then directed to a very long Cicar queue where I had to wait 1 hour to get to the desk and a further 20 minutes to get the car keys and all of this with a 22 month old baby in tow!
I was charged more by Cicar than the quoted price of Payless even excluding the additional upfront fuel charge.
I have emailed Payless with my complaint but am still waiting a reply.

It's a pity, as Payless have been my first choice in the past. 
Title: Re: Payless - my first bad experience
Post by: Archer on January 13, 2015, 14:14:56 PM
That is totally unacceptable. Payless should respond and explain why they let you down. Surely they know how many cars they have AND must a have spare or two for potential breakdowns.
We are booked with them next week and I hope they don't pull this stunt on us.
Title: Re: Payless - my first bad experience
Post by: mintyjr on January 13, 2015, 14:23:45 PM
I would contact the office before you leave just to be sure. 
I wasn't the only one.  A number of people were in the Cicar queue from Payless.
I really hope that my experience was a one off, as it's been such a hassle free service in the past.
I'll post Payless' reply if I get one!
Title: Re: Payless - my first bad experience
Post by: decho on January 13, 2015, 18:01:11 PM
I had exactly the same experience with them last New Year. Overbooked so sent to Cicar who gave me a car only fit for the scrapyard and an infant seat that was disgusting.
Normally used Pluscar but at leas they had the decency to tell me when I booked there were no cars available.
Bought my own car now but always recommend Pluscar.
Title: Re: Payless - my first bad experience
Post by: bigB on January 14, 2015, 13:57:33 PM
I used Pluscar over the Christmas period for 10 days, the only car they had could have been a reject from Orlando.
Title: Re: Payless - my first bad experience
Post by: Archer on January 14, 2015, 16:30:27 PM
It wasn't 1699 CWL by any chance? What a heap of poo! They have given me this wreck twice, on my long term rentals.
Title: Re: Payless - my first bad experience
Post by: mintyjr on January 23, 2015, 09:38:31 AM
Well at least Payless had the courtesy to reply.  They apologised and said that it was a problem with being a very busy time and was not normally the case to have overbookings. 
They also refunded all the extra charges that Cicar put on the rental.

So all in all, fair enough.  What else can they do.

Will I book with Payless again....mmmmm....
Considering that my previous experiences with them were flawless, I just might!
Title: Re: Payless - my first bad experience
Post by: Dave and Barbara on January 24, 2015, 23:41:06 PM
We booked with Payless from last Saturday because Pluscar were fully booked. When we arrived, all the car hire desks in the airport had big queues so we were a bit dubious after reading this thread. But everything was fine and we got a higher quality car than we'd booked. On top of that, we had to cut our holiday short because of family illness and we got a refund - which we didn't expect or ask for. So thumbs up from us!!
Title: Re: Payless - my first bad experience
Post by: MLA on January 26, 2015, 10:08:52 AM
We used Payless for the first time this January and were pleasantly surprised, we got a larger car than booked with no issues. On returning the car at the airport there was a man complaining that his car was unsafe with dangerous tyres (not sure why he accepted in the first instance?)   
Title: Re: Payless - my first bad experience
Post by: bksk2004 on February 01, 2015, 13:49:16 PM
I have used Payless historically but for the  last 18 months been using PlusCar exclusively.  Both provide reasonably priced clean cars. Just one point on PlusCar. It is illegal,  so I believe, not to have a high visibility jacket and triangle in each car. I have had a number of experiences with PlusCar where this has not been the case. Once they took me back to their office to get them and on another occasion offered to pay my fine if I got stopped. That being said I have three further bookings with PlusCar already for the next six months.  Maybe if everyone pushed back on the jackets and triangles they would just put them in each car!

BK
Title: Re: Payless - my first bad experience
Post by: paully on February 01, 2015, 15:23:49 PM
Quote from: bksk2004 on February 01, 2015, 13:49:16 PM
I have used Payless historically but for the  last 18 months been using PlusCar exclusively.  Both provide reasonably priced clean cars. Just one point on PlusCar. It is illegal,  so I believe, not to have a high visibility jacket and triangle in each car. I have had a number of experiences with PlusCar where this has not been the case. Once they took me back to their office to get them and on another occasion offered to pay my fine if I got stopped. That being said I have three further bookings with PlusCar already for the next six months.  Maybe if everyone pushed back on the jackets and triangles they would just put them in each car!

BK

Thanks for that, I did wonder what the down side with them was..Sounds a bit wing and a prayer operation. I was going to book for June but think I`ll stick to Cabrera Medina/Cicar. who also provide a copy of the Insurance Certificate and vehicle registration certificate as well as the reflective jackets etc with their cars..Just my luck to get stopped by the Guardia before i`d got to Rosario  :o
Title: Re: Payless - my first bad experience
Post by: Can the Man on June 07, 2015, 20:37:06 PM
Just back from Fuerteventura, had a fiat panda on hire from Payless everything went well, no delays at the desk, car was clean, 75k k. on clock, a few squeaks and creaks ( just needed some 3 in 1 oil ) but otherwise it drove well. Had 4 adults driving up to the Mirador and on to Google Pepe, no problem.
Car came with 1/4 tank of fuel, I left it back with a little bit more.

Cost â,¬91 for 8 days.  :D  :D  :D