Fuerteventura Forum

General Chit Chat & Queries - no commercial links => General Chat - old => Topic started by: woe10 on April 27, 2013, 17:51:43 PM

Title: German Invasion.
Post by: woe10 on April 27, 2013, 17:51:43 PM



Just relaxing on the Golf in Caleta. Since 4.00pm until 5.15pm,  7 planes have landed from Germany. Another one due at 6.45pm

Hello Britain !!!!   Are you out there, the sun's shining here   8) 8) 8)
Title: Re: German Invasion.
Post by: Ivemovedon on April 27, 2013, 18:17:28 PM
look on the positive side. They weren't russians
Title: Re: German Invasion.
Post by: Voldermort on April 27, 2013, 18:28:22 PM
yet last week Buzz FM were reporting German visitors were 14% down in the first 3 months of this year...As for the British, Easyjet from Liverpool have now down graded the flight to the smaller A319. I was told on last weeks flight by the First officer, it was because the seats arn`t selling. Make of that what you will
Title: Re: German Invasion.
Post by: Ivemovedon on April 27, 2013, 18:56:07 PM
perhaps all the brits are off somewhere they know rental inpectors aren't going to come knocking.
Title: Re: German Invasion.
Post by: Carlo on April 27, 2013, 19:35:10 PM
Loads of French in Corralejo lately.
Title: Re: German Invasion.
Post by: Ivemovedon on April 27, 2013, 19:38:55 PM
how sad
Title: Re: German Invasion.
Post by: medusa85 on April 27, 2013, 19:57:04 PM
Bring in the North Koreans if they spend money in the bars  ;D
Title: Re: German Invasion.
Post by: cllrcollins on April 27, 2013, 22:09:42 PM
Seem to remember previous German invasions which ended in tears. They also involved aircraft, albeit not Boeing 737/800 series planes :D
Title: Re: German Invasion.
Post by: PHo on May 05, 2013, 17:16:16 PM
Airport was buzzing with Brits last night.  There must have been 6-8 planes departing for various UK destinations within an hour at around 9PM.  However, there were loads of empty seats on the Easyjet to LGW, quite a few completely empty rows towards the back.
Title: Re: German Invasion.
Post by: KWC on May 05, 2013, 17:23:55 PM
In our hotel we thought the Germans we vastly out numbered by Russian (sound like) visitors.

They did like the Vodka so that me be a clue?
Title: Re: German Invasion.
Post by: ashworth on May 06, 2013, 08:38:09 AM
I don't think they were Russians no flights here yet. Most probably East Europeans who's numbers are on the increase. Very mixed bag of all Nationalities in Caleta at the moment with a lot of french due to having 60% of the Elba Carletta. Nice feel about the place and a great forecast for the next week for my visitors..
Title: Re: German Invasion.
Post by: woe10 on May 06, 2013, 17:05:35 PM
Loads of French in Spar this morning loading up their trollies. I don't think they'll be going out anywhere :(
Title: Re: German Invasion.
Post by: glenys on May 07, 2013, 09:40:01 AM
The German tourists always demand high standards so are good for driving up the quality of accommodation etc.
Title: Re: German Invasion.
Post by: SheilaW on May 07, 2013, 09:48:05 AM
Quote from: woe10 on May 06, 2013, 17:05:35 PM
Loads of French in Spar this morning loading up their trollies. I don't think they'll be going out anywhere :(
The French are VERY particular about what they eat. I've just left there after 15 years so I know how they feel. They certainly won't hang around anywhere where they offer brown sauce, except perhaps for the novelty factor and to share a laugh when they get home. :-[ But they will go out for at least one meal during their holiday, probably to the most expensive and swish place. And at least they aren't all in AI - the supermarkets are doing well by the sound of it!
Title: Re: German Invasion.
Post by: whyme on May 07, 2013, 18:59:48 PM
You see again Sheila you're making assumptions about the Brits ie that the brown sauce brigade, aren't good enough quality for the french. It's your personal opinion I know and you're entitled to it, but it gets a bit boring after a while.
When you go abroad  you probably look for something different to try and unbelievably so do the French so some of them do try the good old british restaurants. It can't be that bad either as they nearly always return a couple more times before they go home.
I assume you're British so how about a bit of support for your fellow countrymen instead of constant sniping
Title: Re: German Invasion.
Post by: glenys on May 07, 2013, 19:08:08 PM
Personally I think it's a good thing that we have a variety of different nationalities visiting Fuerteventura. I love walking around Caleta and hearing all the different languages being spoken. Just in case some people forget Fuerteventura is a Spanish country not British.As long as they're spending money in the resorts surley thats a good thing. Bring it on......
Title: Re: German Invasion.
Post by: SheilaW on May 07, 2013, 19:25:10 PM
Quote from: whyme on May 07, 2013, 18:59:48 PM
You see again Sheila you're making assumptions about the Brits ie that the brown sauce brigade, aren't good enough quality for the french. It's your personal opinion I know and you're entitled to it, but it gets a bit boring after a while.
When you go abroad  you probably look for something different to try and unbelievably so do the French so some of them do try the good old british restaurants. It can't be that bad either as they nearly always return a couple more times before they go home.
I assume you're British so how about a bit of support for your fellow countrymen instead of constant sniping
I think you're mixing me up with someone else, whyme. I certainly didn't say that the people who frequent those places are in any way inferior. Actually, I am British myself but I've only just come back to a British community after nearly 20 years away, and I'm really loving having all those things I missed: full English (with lots of brown sauce!), roasts, curries (don't get those in France either), Sherbet Dips, jelly (amazed to see that that's eaten by the Spanish, too)... We spend a lot of time in British restaurants here: the owners of Poitin Stil, Aan Casteel, Fergies, El Toston... will all tell you that.

But I am surprised to hear you say that the French like the typical British place you see here, as my French friends always teased us "rosbif" English about our food (overcooked roast beef is what they think we all eat while they're eating frogs - which most French won't touch). I did manage to get favourable reactions to S+K pie, and they all seem to love custard, but they found most British food pretty "déguelasse" (disgusting).  :(

Maybe the ones from up north are more open-minded than the wine producers from the south. It is possible.
Title: Re: German Invasion.
Post by: peejay on May 08, 2013, 09:48:02 AM
When we were last over in April, we noticed a lot more Italians as well as French. Quite a few large family groups eating out in local Canarian restaurants. They seemed to be loving the island and the food, so great for business. Apparently Fuerteventura is now one of the most popular tourist destinations for the French. I think it can only be a good thing, it is better to have a decent mix of nationalities than just the Brits, Germans and Spanish, then you get a broader range of services catering for a more diverse client group. I like my full English and brown sauce as much as anyone, but I also love French, Italian, Spanish, Thai - well basically I just like food! So the more the merrier!
Title: Re: German Invasion.
Post by: fatboab on May 10, 2013, 13:21:57 PM
Quite a mix of nationalities about last week, French, Italian, German, and Dutch well represented in both El Castillo and Corralejo. Only heard a few Eastern European accents, including the Poles in the queue behind us at FUE airport last night.
Title: Re: German Invasion.
Post by: Banzai on May 18, 2013, 09:35:02 AM
plenty of French at R2 Pajara Beach in Costa Calma ,hardly any Brits,as in Nov/Feb,mostly German,the French were very smiley /smart and always greeted you in or outside lifts ,didnt actually try to converse with others though like the Germans do,a real pleasure to have a mix of Nationalities with good manners !
Title: Re: German Invasion.
Post by: denboy on May 20, 2013, 00:42:34 AM
i think quiet a few eastern europeans visiting fuerteventura are based in england,especially liverpool.they are used to using easy jet and ryanair,and have no problem travelling with just 10kg of luggage.i personally have recommended fuerte to quiet a few polish and lithuanian people that i work with.1 young lithuanian couple i know were there last week,and judging by the comments and pictures on face book had a great time.incidentally they all stay self catering and contribute to the local economy,which can only be good news.
Title: Re: German Invasion.
Post by: Can the Man on May 21, 2013, 00:17:24 AM
Well said Denboy, I also know quite a few polish families that have travelled out from Ireland, they love it and always stay self catering.