This will give you an idea of the BIG event next Saturday in Gran Tarajal
http://s759.photobucket.com/albums/xx234/spikejd/FUERTEVENTURA/Battle%20of%20Tamisite%20Reenactment%202009/ (http://s759.photobucket.com/albums/xx234/spikejd/FUERTEVENTURA/Battle%20of%20Tamisite%20Reenactment%202009/)
Is that the 20th? if so then great as I'll be there.
Spike's video shows the arrival of the British on the beach at Gran Tarajal and the parade around the town.
This year, the re-enactment , is on Friday 12 October at midday.
In the evening, from 5.30pm in Tuineje, there is a Romeria (a traditional walk through the town with an offering to San Miguel). At midnight there is an all night Verbena(party).
On Saturday 13 October, the re-enactment of the Battle of Tamasite takes place near Tuineje from 11am. This year is the 272nd anniversary of the British troops being beaten by the local farmers!
Our house overlooks the battleground [I think]. If you want to watch from there on Saturday we'll have an open house with drinks and a raffle - proceeds to The Twinkle Trust
Contact me for an invite
All went off swimmingly - a short film of the day in Tuineje is here:
http://s759.beta.photobucket.com/user/spikejd/media/Tamasite12_zps04896d22.mp4.html (http://s759.beta.photobucket.com/user/spikejd/media/Tamasite12_zps04896d22.mp4.html)
So Spike did I blink and miss the battle????
I can't believe I missed your little party. Hope you made lots of money for Twinkle. :-*
As you know Dan Fuerteventura is a peaceful Island and in Tuineje they just gloat each year over the defeat of the British - so no battle just lots of marching and drums. Good though!
Here are a few photos from the invasion of Gran Tarajal beach
(http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8471/8117326641_e24e79fd49.jpg)
(http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8185/8117326471_9c1aa9172d.jpg)
(http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8189/8117337494_edde9d74ec.jpg)
(http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8050/8117337346_a0c42bf6b9.jpg)
(http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8327/8117337160_1ec8eb7826.jpg)