Free Hiking

Started by old n easy, September 03, 2013, 13:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

old n easy

Hi All,
New on the forum. Last trip stayed in Pared, beach there great, although a few surfers north end.
Watch the undertow if sea swimming. Had a couple of afternoons free hiking in the nature park south of the beach, no trouble at all but terraine challenging.
Anyone know anything about Cofete beach. I assume sea will be like Pared. Going early next year, looks good on google earth for miles of free hiking.
O n E

Magoo

The first rule of Cofete Club, is you don't swim at Cofete club! Not unless you fancy going home in a body bag (An extra fee is payable with Ryanair)

However, its a huge wild beach with very few people around & well worth a visit. Be warned though, trash your hire car and you are not insured, as the road is a twisting unmade dirt track over the mountains. So it could be expensive if you have a mishap. There is also another small beach (Playa Juan Gomez) on the other side of the peninsula near the Cofete turn off. Much more sheltered from the Atlantic & wind. Same rule about the car applies.

Take everything you need in the way of shelter, food & water.

old n easy

Thanks Magoo, no intention of swimming, rather thought from Pared experience that would be the case. We have access to a 4wd, so going down there is no problem (I hope). Will try early morning, sea can be really spectacular then.
O n E 

SoCal

Friend,
The title of your question, "Free hiking", makes me assuming you want to free hike, i.e., hike the natural way over to Cofete. However, your name, "old n easy", implies a gentile hike is your style.

First of all Cofete is worth seeing. Every visit to Fuerteventura I always make a trip to Cofete even though I stay in El Cotillo. It really is worth the near 2 hour drive each way. It is one of the most untamed beaches I have ever seen. Only the beaches on the far north west side of the South Island of New Zealand are more inspiring.

The physically least demanding way to reach Cofete is the way Mr. Magoo mention - via hired 4wd.

However, if you want a free hike to it, start just east of Morro Jable at: GPS: 28.063382,-14.376249 where there is a parking lot and start hiking essentially north. There is a sign describing the hike over the mountain range. The hike takes you up to the low point of the spine of the range for which you have the best view of the entire wild west coast.

The hike can be done as a free hike once one passes the small houses near the parking lot. Cofete has a little bar for food and drink to refresh yourself before returning.

Have done it several times and met few fellow hikers. Never an issue with my lack of attire.

Good luck.. I'm envious.

Biking and beaches - total freedom

old n easy

Thanks SoCal, raft of information I will take with me next May, (should have been March, things happen). Please don't read too much into 'Old n Easy', although your assumption I am not Jewish is correct. As a (past 70) birthday treat I did Everest Base Camp treck last year, and still dive regularly, although only where it's warm.
Am seriously looking forward to the one bit of the Island I have not visited yet, not sure my wife and friend will.
Thanks again,

O n E

SoCal

You are welcome on the information. It took me a second to understand your comment about Judism.  I can't think of a Jewish or Gentile hike that I might have participated on, so I'm not sure what I was thinking of when I posted my reply relating to hikes of a gentle nature.

Personally I worship Sol. I can see it, I can feel it, I see evidence of Sol's impact on life. In fact, no Sol, no Homo sapiens on Earth.  George Carlin probably says it best (using some ...adult language..) George Carlin on Religion and God

Magoo

Quote from: SoCal on September 06, 2013, 18:54:25 PM
You are welcome on the information. It took me a second to understand your comment about Judism.  I can't think of a Jewish or Gentile hike that I might have participated on, so I'm not sure what I was thinking of when I posted my reply relating to hikes of a gentle nature.

I'm glad you cleared that one up SoCal, it went over my head & I was not about to show how thick I was by asking.

I did wonder if it was anything to do with my recommendation of taking all food & drink with you, rather than patronise the local vender, whom I have never come across on my visits

old n easy

Hi SoCal, Hi Magoo,
Could'nt resist picking up on SoCal's typo, suprising what you can get from a little snip. (think about it). Thanks a lot for all the onfo guys, going down for most of next May, diving east side, free hiking west. Can't come soon enough.

O n E

jg

Quote from: old n easy on September 07, 2013, 12:12:19 PM
Hi SoCal, Hi Magoo,
Could'nt resist picking up on SoCal's typo, suprising what you can get from a little snip. (think about it). Thanks a lot for all the onfo guys, going down for most of next May, diving east side, free hiking west. Can't come soon enough.

O n E
It doesn't bear thinking about.  :o ::) :-[
JG

Magoo

One advantage of taking a vehicle, is you get the best view Fuerteventura has to offer, from the top of the pass. (Weather permitting) 

There is a pull in & an opportunity to turn around & go back should you lose your bottle.

MinRich

Cofete Beach looks a fantastic place to visit . We stay in Cotillo too so is there anywhere nearby that we could stay for the night and perhaps anywhere that does a 4x4 hire for a day or two to get there and back ? Driving there and back and getting a good look at the beach seems too much like hard work for one day . Any other ideas about how to see the beach etc ?

Magoo

Set off early enough & it's doable in a day. Mrs Magoo & myself stay in Esqunzo, but we always take a day out to El Cotillo & call in to Corry as well.

Others might shoot me down in flames here, but the road is not so bad that you need a 4X4, we have done the trip in the bog standard Clio / Corsa on more than one occasion. The Germans take camper vans to harder places. However, after heavy rain it might not be a good idea. Even with a 4X4, I believe that the no off roading rule applies, but you would need to check.

falkirkdan

Quote from: MinRich on September 08, 2013, 15:54:46 PM
Cofete Beach looks a fantastic place to visit . We stay in Cotillo too so is there anywhere nearby that we could stay for the night and perhaps anywhere that does a 4x4 hire for a day or two to get there and back ? Driving there and back and getting a good look at the beach seems too much like hard work for one day . Any other ideas about how to see the beach etc ?
Hi Rich
We went down south 2 years ago for couple of days staying over in Pajara.  Was the pink panda we had and it was great on the road to Cofete and got right up to the door of Villa Winter in it.   The beach is stunning going for miles.   And I did venture in for a swim.

sun lovers

Last year we hiked nude form Risco del Paso (main road) through Barranco de Pecenescal to the west coast above Cofete / Barlovento beach. Really desert like and quiet, only saw two other people on quads. Also very hot, and we set off at 9am.

SoCal

Quote from: sun lovers on September 21, 2013, 14:22:59 PM
Last year we hiked nude form Risco del Paso (main road) through Barranco de Pecenescal to the west coast above Cofete / Barlovento beach. Really desert like and quiet, only saw two other people on quads. Also very hot, and we set off at 9am.

Wow! I too did this hike a couple years ago. Did you actually cross the main paved road in the nude? I free hiked this route, but followed the wash as shown on the maps at the Risco del Paso parking lot / car park, but threw my shorts on to cross the paved road. Beyond that, like you, the hike was very quiet and only passed a couple ATV riders. They were very nice - waved. The problem is that hike to the west is in the canyon and pretty dull with lots of head wind. However, the view at the top of the crest is spectacular. I too did not head down to the beach, but now regret it. Something to accomplish on my next visit.

sunpics

8) It seems that the sea can be dangerous all around the coast, it is an island and has lots of currents to watch out for. I love to walk nude along the Corry main beach from the big Riu Hotels back down the coast you can walk for miles on the waters edge and in the dunes. I never take any cloths at all only a hat and some water and my camera some wonderful views to take pictures of.  We have miles of great beaches her in the UK wish I could walk naked hear for miles when the sun shines , but stuffy old English think it is not good to be seen naked in the outdoors on a  public beach. Some one should get a law passed that allows those of us who love been naked in the great outdoors to follow our love of naturist life style. Only a few places left in stuffy old UK. ;D Cheers Sunpics

jg

Sunpics - It is actually NOT illegal to be naked on any beach in the UK.
Unfortunately nobody outside the naturist movement seems to know that, including your average police officer.
JG

sunpics

8) As our climate gets hotter hear in the UK it would be great to walk along the beach in the nude in the more secluded areas. We have so much coastline it seems a shame not to take advantage of it.
:P Cheers Sunpics