Ryanair Top Customer Service

Started by Wild Rover, February 02, 2018, 20:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wild Rover

Hi All, I would just like to share this story with everyone on the forum. We were due to fly out to Fuerte with Ryanair @ 7.15 this morning from Manchester Terminal 3. Myself my better half and her father who is 83! This would have been the first time my father in law had visited the island. We arrived @ Terminal 3 & proceeded up the Escalator to check in. I went first with the bags my better half second. I was 2 steps off the top and looked round to see my father in law tumble backwards from the second step up.I instantly went for the emergency stop 🛑 but hey presto there isn`t one. I could only watch as he was being pulled up by the machine on his back only to tumble over backwards again. Both myself and my wife were helpless. A lady at the bottom was screaming to shut it but it couldn`t be shut off. She ended up on the escalator holding him until it reached the top. People from Manchester Airport arrived pretty quickly from that point and they called for an on duty paramedic who seemed to take an age to arrive but was very good when he did. The ambulance took even longer. The incident was reported to the Ryanair Information Desk as it was obvious we would not be travelling today. We were asked to call them when we knew more. My father in law was taken to Wythinshaw Hopital who were brilliant. The back of his head was quite badly grazed he has a black eye his right shoulder is badly bruised, he has various other cuts to legs and left hand but nothing is broken! He was discharged around lunchtime extremely sore and in shock. Late afternoon we contacted Ryanair after deciding it would be a few weeks before he would like to try again. They could not have been more accommodating. They cancelled outward and return flights and rebooked us for the 10th March from Liverpool with extra leg room priority boarding all at no extra cost to ourselves, even though the March flights were quite a bit more expensive. THANKYOU Ryanair, THANKYOU Wythinshaw Hospital, THANKYOU to the Lady who help him to the top of the escalator and THANKYOU to the off duty nurse that was going on holiday that delayed her check in to stay with him until the paramedic arrived.

Ivemovedon

That's how it should be. Great stuff.

spitfire58

Glad to hear he wasn't seriously injured. Hope it doesn't put him off trying again

Snowdrop

Glad to hear the good outcome and that soon you will hopefully have a lovely holiday.
Our last two flights from fuerte RA staff well exceeded expections - which I felt I should comment on the web site as they get so much bad press.
So again we`ll done to RA 😀

pat2u

Glad to hear something good and positive that Ryan air have done. Speedy recovery to your father in law

Brayone

Yes well done to you too. Some people only put pen to paper to highlight negatives. All the people who helped can now fell recognized for their efforts and encouraged to go the extra mile again. Hope father in law recovers soon and that you all get your holiday.

GSD Girl

Thanks for your post and hope father in law is well on the way to recovery.
We are flying with Ryanair for the first time in March and I've got to say we are a little nervous after reading so much bad press but it was the only airline that flew from our nearest airport to our holiday destination on the dates we wanted.  It was really good to hear your positive message. Hope you all enjoy your holiday when the time comes.

spitfire58

Quote from: GSD Girl on February 03, 2018, 13:22:06 PM
We are flying with Ryanair for the first time in March and I've got to say we are a little nervous after reading so much bad press but it was the only airline that flew from our nearest airport to our holiday destination on the dates we wanted.  It was really good to hear your positive message. Hope you all enjoy your holiday when the time comes.

Hi GSD,
I don`t think you need have any worries regarding RA. Although I always gripe about their psychological methods in shoehorning passengers into paying more as a service they are second to none. Planes are pretty new, crew always good & flights consistently pretty well full (that tells you something anyway).
Cheers . . Ron

Logitechtom

Hi GSD,

ABSOLUTE NUMBER ONE RULE WHEN FLYING RYANAIR:
Read the information, then read it again. Check the number and size of your luggage and double check it is within the Ryanair rules.  Stick absolutely 100% to all the instructions.

Do that and you will have a great flight.  Ignore the rules and you will suffer.

Yes, it's a bit penny pinching to have to book seats, book priority etc but in my experience, they are still cheaper than other airlines.

Enjoy your flight and have a great time over in Fuerteventura.

Tom.

spitfire58

Quote from: Logitechtom on February 03, 2018, 13:40:10 PM

Hi GSD,

ABSOLUTE NUMBER ONE RULE WHEN FLYING RYANAIR:
Read the information, then read it again. Check the number and size of your luggage and double check it is within the Ryanair rules.  Stick absolutely 100% to all the instructions.

Do that and you will have a great flight.  Ignore the rules and you will suffer.

Yes, it's a bit penny pinching to have to book seats, book priority etc but in my experience, they are still cheaper than other airlines.

Enjoy your flight and have a great time over in Fuerteventura.

Tom.

Spot on Tom 👍👍

Banjo

I'm not intentionally being a smartarse trying to belittle the OP but us gentlemen should always travel behind the women, kids and elderly on the way up and in front on the way down stairs and escalators. This particular example of etiquette formed a question on a tv game show many years ago and it's stuck with me ever since.

I doubt the game show allowed for the caveat of being in a busy airport lugging baggage around but even so, it's one worth remembering. I'm glad the gent is not too badly hurt, this could have been tragic.

erik_tonny

Quote from: Banjo on February 03, 2018, 15:28:24 PM
I'm not intentionally being a smartarse trying to belittle the OP but us gentlemen should always travel behind the women, kids and elderly on the way up and in front on the way down stairs and escalators. This particular example of etiquette formed a question on a tv game show many years ago and it's stuck with me ever since.
Sorry for being a smartass but I disagree with you. Long time ago when I was young, it was very rude to walk behind a lady when walking up the stairs, as thus it was possible to see more than was intended.

cockney

I am surprised to hear that you could not locate the emergency stop button in order to stop the escalator. There has to be a button at the top and bottom but in your panic you did not notice it. Perhaps when you return for your flight you have another look and if you can not find it then you must report this to the airport staff as this is serious. In any case the airport staff should have asked you to complete an accident report at the time and given you a copy, did they?

Perhaps this may be something for those traveling with young children or older people to look for in the unlikely chance that this could happen to you. 

Wild Rover

Hi Cockney, there is no Emergency Stop Button, I point this out to the airport staff that attended. They said they would make a note of it. There is however a stop button located at the top of the escalator mounted at skirting board level about the size of a 10 pence piece with no livery to indicate what it might be for. My guess is it`s an engineer`s button. Really nowhere near good enough!

Johnrgby2

Quote from: Wild Rover on February 05, 2018, 21:52:53 PM
Hi Cockney, there is no Emergency Stop Button, I point this out to the airport staff that attended. They said they would make a note of it. There is, however, a stop button located at the top of the escalator mounted at skirting board level about the size of a 10 pence piece with no livery to indicate what it might be for. My guess is it`s an engineer`s button. Really nowhere near good enough!

If what you are saying is correct, and I have no reason to doubt it, that must break so many H and S laws as to be unbelievable, while not an advocate of the ambulance chasing culture that has developed in The UK, I would seek legal advice, if only to prevent it occurring again.

cockney

That is unbelievable Wild Rover. I have spent my working life on Lifts and Escalators and know that stop buttons are required at each terminal, as you say low down on the balustrade. The button can be quite small but should be easily identified, some times a key switch is fitted to reverse direction but that would be separate. On some new units the button is fitted with a shroud.

If it was me in your situated I would contact the HSE and report your experience, this is their contact details:

Reporting a workplace health and safety problem

If you see something in a workplace that you think is breaking health and safety law and is likely to cause serious harm, you can report it.
Report a problem to us

The quickest way to report a problem is to use our online form and when you submit it you will get an acknowledgement . If you can't use the form, you can phone us on 0300 003 1647 and we will fill in the form with you. Our lines are open Monday to Friday from 8.30am to 5pm (on Wednesdays we are open from 10am to 5pm).