EasyJet/Ryanair

Started by Paddster, January 29, 2013, 05:59:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paddster

Hi guys,probably been asked on here tons of times but,can anyone just give me the basic advice of do's and don't's when flying with these no-frills airlines please ? We've NEVER flown with them,are planning to book online with pre-booked seats for the first time EVER and we're nervous and naive,we've only ever gone with the big names but i want to save money by booking early with these airlines instead of paying top whack but as you probably know with this Forum(and the old one too)that they get slated time an time again,we just don't wanna get anything wrong and get ripped off by some charge at the check-in desk/gate ?
Any help,advice is very much appreciated and i will certainly get back to you to put in a thanks....
Potash(John),feel free to PM me if you like,you've helped me before and anything you can add then don't hesitate please....
Thanks again for any help/advice guys,it's much appreciated.......
Regards,Paddy............... :)

dee-dee

We always fly Easyjet Paddy,never had a problem,get your flights booked on the first day that they come online and you`ll get a bargain  ;D
Hubby did get caught with his hand luggage last year (but there was a jobs worth at Gatwick  :'()..apart from that ,I have nothing bad to say  ;D
Don`t forget...keep an eye on the forum.... you`ve got to book first day...we dithered one year and the flight prices went up another £100 in a few hours  :o

Paddster

Hi dee love,many thanks for the reply,we can't book as yet though ? Only flight times out are on the site at the moment plus we're not sure exactly when we're going over ? We have an issue with the daughters school and will find out hopefully today whether we can take her out,they've said no up to now so it might only be a weeks holiday..... >:(

dee-dee

Know what its like Paddy  :'(
Luckily my two were both finished in June this year so not a prob for us....just a heads up for you...we are going July and they came online last October,you`ve just gotta be prepared to do it on that first day and you`ll save yourself a heap of money  ;D
I`ve got an email for a chap at Easyjet if you wanna ask him any questions,although he won`t give you a definite date in my experience .

isleswing

Register for emails. That'll give you a head start.

djk99

Paddster, Welcome to No Frills Air Travel !!  I really do understand your trepidation. We did the same a few years ago....and I must admit to being worried about my 1st Easyjet flight...not looking forward to a degrading scramble for seats together or paying some overzealous official €50 because I had overlooked a minor detail.  The good news is...It's becoming much easier – almost civilized!!
As you have already noticed there are options to avoid the worst problems by reserving seats / speedy / priority boarding etc. As you become accustomed to the low cost scene you may choose to dispense with some extras but that's a personal choice you'll better equipped to make at a later date.
Easyjet: Each passenger may carry one item of hand baggage only, measuring a maximum 56 x 45 x 25cm (including wheels, pockets and handles). No weight limit, but you must be able to place in in the overhead locker unaided.
Ryanair: Strictly one item of cabin baggage per passenger (excluding infants) weighing up to 10kg with maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm is permitted.
Handbag, briefcase, laptop, camera etc. must be carried in your 1 permitted piece of cabin baggage.
A Bag of Duty Free Shop purchases, may be allowed as well. This seems to vary from one airport to the next – best to check locally.
Buy a decent set of digital luggage scales – and stick to the limits !!  Take them with you and weigh again on the way back.
I find one of the multi-pocket waistcoats very useful for last minute purchases/cameras..etc.
Tickets:
Both RYR and EZY are web only and the RYR website in particular can be annoying due to the number of 'extras' and 'offers' thrown at you during the booking process. Take a 'practice run' and 'book a theoretical flight ' (i.e. put all your details in and make sure you have avoided any extras you don't need – go right up to the payment screen.....obviously stop when asked for your card details !!)   This will familiarise you with the quirks of your chosen site.
Use a debit rather than a credit card – you'll still be charged....but not as much.
Input your Advanced passenger Information...passport details, DoB etc.
You can then check-in online. Print off boarding pass carefully, make sure the barcode is clear and has no ink smudges etc. Make a 2nd print (just to be sure)  Print off your return pass If you are within the permitted timescale.
Onboard  :
While some of the holiday airlines produce 'tolerable' meals...The Low Cost Carriers don't....Take your own or get something to eat before you board.....they will still sell you tea or coffee (or something stronger) to wash it down.
Entertainment – none provided, so bring your own MP3 / MP4 / Book etc
One really good point....the seats don't recline – so you won't have the person in front encroaching on your already paltry space.
Overall, it's not too bad of an experience....just understand and obey the rules- it doesn't matter if you agree with them or not. They are there to ensure you and 200 other people get on and off as quickly as possible and allow the airline to continue making as much money as they can.

Ronnietheblue

Hi Paddy,
Always fly Ryanair, never had any problems, just stick to the rules and dont think you can beat there system, great advice to do a practice booking, go right up to when they ask for payment details. You'll soon get the hang of saying no thanks to all the extras they try selling you. I always buy the priority boarding tho, but this can be done at a later date. You'll get plenty of emails from ryanair prior to your flight, offering you there products/services, reminding you of there restrictions, and letting you know when you can check in online. Most important to get your flights, as quick as you can, when they become available.
Just had a dummy run Paddy and two weeks in Oct 11-25 would cost £278 inc 20kg suitcase and priority boarding. Hope this of some use mate

Paddster

Thank you very very much for all the replies,I knew u guys wouldn't let me down,think we're going EJ from Liverpool,got all clear from school so 3 weeks it is ! Yay !!!
Thanks again !

dee-dee

Paddster

I think she's doing it today.............. :)

dee-dee

Ronnietheblue

It is for Caletas bar owners ;) ;)

Paddster

Flights booked Dee  :-*

Well,outward bound are ! My friend is gonna book our return flights from her place over there cause its cheaper i'm led to believe ?

Paddster

Dee ? Goddamnit ? U listening ?  ;)

dee-dee

Quote from: Paddster on January 30, 2013, 17:52:54 PM
Flights booked Dee  :-*

Well,outward bound are ! My friend is gonna book our return flights from her place over there cause its cheaper i'm led to believe ?
Nice one Paddy..never heard of booking them that way though....
Did you get a bargain?  ;D

Paul Kirkham

hi Paddy we always fly Easyjet it is as everone agrees no frills flights  but as long as you stick to there rules (check in on time ,dont go over the baggage allowance etc) then you will be fine one good r thing to remember because of there tight turn round times (to make the schedule cost effective )they are nearly always on time - i expect someone will now come along and shoot me down in flames !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ronnietheblue

Completely agree Paul, rarely late if conditions are ok, as with ryanair, they seem to schedule that it takes 15mins longer than any other airline to get to fuerte and back, so by there timings, they usually land early. I would always get priority boarding to try avoid the rush in the 30 min turnaround period.

hantsnat

I use Ryanair OK but there is one simple rule - read their rules carefully and stick to them.    Make sure you print off your return boarding pass. They are inflexible and will hit you hard if you transgress.  BTW they have no seat pockets so there is nowhere to put a book etc.

Voldermort

Always use Easyjet and to be honest their customer service is moving more upmarket and away from the `Ryanair` standard. If they can be helpful, they will try. Not long ago went to print boarding cards out just before we left home and the printer ink unexpectedly died. Boarding cards unreadable. Went to Liverpool 5am  Easyjet staff  smiled printed new cards, as they did on the return at Gibraltar...Cost was Zero...Thats why I fly with Easyjet...Have a good flight, the Scouse crews are friendly and generally a laugh a minute.

Hope you have a great time. Dont think you`ll regret it

Pat on the hill

We have had Ryanair boarding cards that we have printed off at home that havent
scanned  properly at the security gate, just went to Ryanair desk and they printed off 2 more for us no probs and no charge. Always found RA fine if you stick within the rules, boarding the plane would be far less stressful without the ones trying to bend/ break those rules !!

Paddster

Many thanks to all for the advice,this forum can be good sometimes,cheers.....

Paddster

We've pre-booked our seats Jon,no need for priority boarding surely ? Ialways get up last to join the queue and board ?

dee-dee

Quote from: Paddster on February 01, 2013, 05:50:13 AM
Many thanks to all for the advice,this forum can be good sometimes,cheers.....
What are you saying here then Paddy?  ;D

Ronnietheblue

with priority boarding Paddy, you can still pick your seats, but get to join a separate queue, that is boarded first, useful if you want to store overhead baggage.

Paddster

Fair enough Jon but i don't queue ? I wait till all the mugs have got on.....