Electric Scooters - Again

Started by woe10, February 15, 2018, 16:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woe10

Just been almost knocked over by a lady on a scooter, who came flying around the corner, on the pavement by the Indian and Legends in Caleta. Followed bt a tirade of abuse when questioned, saying she wasn't allowed to ride on the road. These things are completely silent and you can't hear them coming.
Is anything ever going to be done about them, maybe a beep like they have on trucks when reversing. Caleta is overun with them  :o 

Windermeregolfer

Totally agree Woe just been for a walk along front of the Atlantico and they are a dam nightmare 😤😤😤

fatherted

The security guards in the white centre makes people get off and push them. It's only a matter of time before a serious accident happens. These things should only be allowed on designated routes/areas agreed with the local authorities. Anybody straying off limits would be risking having their scooters seized and  a hefty release payment to get it back.

Deso

There is supposed to be a council bye law which prohibits their use anywhere except designated cycle paths at a maximum speed of 8 kph, 5 mph.

Unfortunately it is not being enforced.

I am sure it will be brought up again at the next Citizens Participation on 22nd February.

If anyone wants to go, it is due to be held at 7pm in the Caleta Cultural Centre, white building near the Bus Station roundabout.
Regards, Neil
Looking forward to the day I tick the "One way only" box when booking flights to Fuerte. [:)]

Captain Sensible

The scooters are getting bigger and faster too.  There are a growing number of places hiring them out.
The way most of them are being used are a danger to themselves and to people who are walking.

Deso

Some of them look like Judge Dredd should be riding them.   :o

In December, I was driving down the road from Dulche Leche, I always slow right down when approaching the walkway crossing as there are high walls on each side which restrict visibilty when two teenagers shot across the road at full speed, 20 to 25 mph, without even looking.
If I had been travelling a little faster there would have been carnage.
Regards, Neil
Looking forward to the day I tick the "One way only" box when booking flights to Fuerte. [:)]

Can the Man

Quote from: Deso on February 15, 2018, 21:33:50 PM
Some of them look like Judge Dredd should be riding them.   :o

In December, I was driving down the road from Dulche Leche, I always slow right down when approaching the walkway crossing as there are high walls on each side which restrict visibilty when two teenagers shot across the road at full speed, 20 to 25 mph, without even looking.
If I had been travelling a little faster there would have been carnage.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bMgLNyeTzqU

Deso

Regards, Neil

charlatanefc

We were walking on the promenade in front of the Barcelo, by the Volleyball courts last week, when 5 British lads came haring past on these big scooters like Deso posted above.   One of them lost it just past us, and went flying sideways off it.  How they never decapitated anyone I'll never know

emmi

Yup they are an absolute nightmare. I'm thinking of carrying a sharp stick and giving them a jab as they go past.
Most of the people on them would benefit from some good walking exercise anyway!

Deso

You might be being 'Fatist' there, but you're spot on.   ;D
Regards, Neil

emmi

woe10

There are more places renting them out in Caleta, than there are Bars. It's ridiculous.

fatherted

Quote from: woe10 on February 19, 2018, 22:58:36 PM
There are more places renting them out in Caleta, than there are Bars. It's ridiculous.
There's 3 shops on the street between the Aberdeen and Legends renting them out but possibly all owned by the same firm

cockney

I saw two in Corralejo on Sunday being ridden in the pedestrian zone of the port area. I doubt that they rode them from Caleta so there must be another outlet for them there.

perrypower1

Anytime you mix pedestrians with a propelled type of transport you are asking for trouble.  Electric Scooters are just the latest trend in the mix.

Some creative thinking is needed to resolve the issue as simply banning them is not the answer.

Prams and non electric wheel chairs are in my mind okay to mix with pedestrians; once you move on to other conveyance, bicycles, mobility scooters, roller skates, electric scooters you are just asking for trouble.  But I certainly would not want to see any of those banned.

At the risk of having some negative comments I will raise the fact that mobility scooters are far more dangerous to pedestrians than electric scooters. The accident rate in the UK is staggering and because they fall outside the transport act they do not require a license, training, insurance and unless the driver is carrying a passenger are  not subject to drink/drug driving laws.

Ivemovedon

Just ban old people then. So there's nobody driving mobility scooters and nobody walking the pavements not agile enough to avoid the bikes and scooters.

Either that or have designated fenced off pensioner exercise areas.

calculator

People should realise that its not just a tourist thing, the Majorero trash are getting in on it too. One of my neighbours got one recently for his fat kid. The father enjoys riding it more than the kid. They are incredibly quick. They drive it all over the village even on the public road.

Will it be like the quads?! The foreigner owners/renters/sellers get penalised and then the locals step in to take their place, lol. So be careful about complaining as you are sh!!tting all over your own people.

Ivemovedon

Quote from: calculator on February 22, 2018, 10:20:20 AM
People should realise that its not just a tourist thing, the Majorero trash are getting in on it too. One of my neighbours got one recently for his fat kid. The father enjoys riding it more than the kid. They are incredibly quick. They drive it all over the village even on the public road.

Will it be like the quads?! The foreigner owners/renters/sellers get penalised and then the locals step in to take their place, lol. So be careful about complaining as you are sh!!tting all over your own people.

You appear to have a very low opinion of the islands local population.

normanb

I completely agree with everything you say that the 'plague' of these electric scooters should not only be banned but completely destroyed. They are dangerous and a complete hazard to pedestrians.

I have had articles printed in the voice about these 'pests' i.e. electric scooters over the last 3 years and although many people despise the epidemic of these 'pests' nothing is done. They have increased 'ten fold' during this time and it was 3 years ago where I saw a 5 year old child run out of the Sports Lounge in Caleta where one of these 'pests' were speeding down from the Windmill and just missed her. That was 3 years ago!!!

I don't live in Caleta, I live outside and have decided after having a few confrontations to restrict my visits to Caleta as I have an ' obsession of hate' against these 'pests' where they only wind me up. I only go to Caleta when I have to.

The Police and the Council are 'fking' useless and if there is a Bye law which is not being adhere to and someone gets badly injured to an extent of a fatality of a young child or old person then I hope the Police and the Council as sued for millions as it was their lack of responsibility of allowing this to happen.

woe10

Did anybody bring it up at the Residents Meeting last night in Caleta.

I couldn't make it, otherwise I would have made my opinions known, especially to a certain Scottish lady, who is "supposed" to be on our side.

zedzedeleven

i know this, Paully has provided more helpful and informative posts than Normanb ever has. Keep up the good work Paully.
Mentor to the boneheads.

Deso

Report from an attendee of the latest Citizen Participation  meeting, 22/02/2018, regarding scooters,

Electric Scooters

Things on the issue of scooters are beginning to look up, as the Mayor raised the subject himself at their last meeting. Previously, Debbie has always had to raise it, but apparently the Mayor has been receiving so many complaints, and there have been so many accidents, that it has goaded him into taking action.

The councillors are divided. Some believe there should be a total ban on them, while others don`t. Another option has been proposed, that they only allow them on guided tours, and individuals will be banned.

A meeting is being held on Tuesday morning, when a decision will be made
Regards, Neil

woe10

Quote from: Deso on February 24, 2018, 18:59:59 PM
Report from an attendee of the latest Citizen Participation  meeting, 22/02/2018, regarding scooters,

Electric Scooters

Things on the issue of scooters are beginning to look up, as the Mayor raised the subject himself at their last meeting. Previously, Debbie has always had to raise it, but apparently the Mayor has been receiving so many complaints, and there have been so many accidents, that it has goaded him into taking action.

The councillors are divided. Some believe there should be a total ban on them, while others don`t. Another option has been proposed, that they only allow them on guided tours, and individuals will be banned.

A meeting is being held on Tuesday morning, when a decision will be made

Seems to me that the "no ban" Councillors may have a financial interest in them   :o

Johnrgby2

Seems to me that the "no ban" Councillors may have a financial interest in them   :o
[/quote]

Not like you to be Cynical Woe :D :D

woe10

Been here long enough to be John. It would be nothing new.