How to get free transport for hospital appointments in Gran Canaria

Started by admin, January 15, 2015, 12:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

I'm pretty sure most if not all of the Fuerteventura residents will know about this but just in case....

If you have to go to Gran Canaria for a hospital appointment you can have ALL of the flight bill (there and back) paid by Social Security.

Once you have your appointment details and the name of the Travel Agent you are going to use, go to your local Clinic (see map here: http://www3.gobiernodecanarias.org/sanidad/scs/mapa.jsp?idDocument=2af43fec-a6e0-11e0-8b11-dd2f47015696&idCarpeta=0e4cf08e-a6f0-11e0-a6f1-d5c39b10ecae ) and ask for a Bono (official name: Servicio de Traslados) for your visit.

You'll be given a pretty simple form to fill in with:

Name (Nombre y Apellidos)
DNI
Social Security number (the long number on your medical card) (No. Seguridad Social)
Nationality (Nacionalidad)
Name of Hospital (Nombre Hospital)
Department (Especialidad)
Date and Time of the appointment (Fecha de la Cita) If you have appointments on consecutive days, put both dates but write "Un viaje" if you are staying over.
Name of Travel Agent (Nombre de la Agencia de Viajes)
Tick resident or not (Residencia larga duracion o permanente: Si o No)
Tick Plane or Ferry (Avion o Barco)
Signature (Firma)

If the appointment is for a minor (under 18) then you have to also fill in the details of the accompanying adult (Datos de Accompañante [si procede]) (they get free transport too).

If you received details of the appointment by phone you have to give the number you received the call from. (Nota: Aquellas citas que hayon sido comunicades por telefono indicar el numero del cual le llamaron:)

The clinic will also need to photocopy your passport(s), green sheet(s), patient's medical card and the appointment papers.

The clinic will give you a stamped copy of the form (Solicitud) you filled in and contact Puerto for confirmation. About a day or so later (allow for two) Puerto will email the Travel Agent with authorisation.

Go to the Agent, they'll need the Solicitud or name of the patient to confirm they have the authorisation, and then book as normal.

The Agent will issue you your ticket(s) without any need for payment.

Taxis, buses, car hire etc are not covered by this.
I have heard that for long stays, accommodation (hostel) can be provided (for a companion) but I don't know about this. If anyone does, please post how to apply.

TamaraEnLaPlaya

Worth putting this in the 'local paperwork' section Admin - really helpful info, especially knowing that you need to quote the telephone number that called you with the appointment details.

Brightspark

Know this inside out.

Also pretty sure the hostel was 10 euro a night.

admin

Quote from: Brightspark on January 22, 2015, 23:34:30 PM
Know this inside out.

Can you give more details on how to apply for this BS please ?

admin

One more tip on this subject:

If you are present while the receptionist is making your appointment, ask her to make it for as late as possible - eg 12:15 otherwise you may get an early e.g. 9:00 appointment.

The point being that you'll be unable to get to an early appointment in time ( the first flight is about 9 ish ) - The later the appointment, the easier it is to avoid having to sleep over the previous night.

The flight is about 45 minutes and it takes roughly 30 minutes to get to the Hospital from the airport.

Brightspark

Quote from: admin on January 23, 2015, 11:41:32 AM
Quote from: Brightspark on January 22, 2015, 23:34:30 PM
Know this inside out.

Can you give more details on how to apply for this BS please ?
I wish I could, we never used the service, though I do remember the staff at the hospital mentioned the hostel to us on the day our little one was born, so therefore I would suggest that many staff within the hospital can offer help and advice on it, could be wrong but the way it was put across suggested that you kind of just rock up at the door and they sort you out a room? Maybe someone else could shed a bit more light.

Quote from: admin on January 23, 2015, 11:50:46 AM
One more tip on this subject:

If you are present while the receptionist is making your appointment, ask her to make it for as late as possible - eg 12:15 otherwise you may get an early e.g. 9:00 appointment.

The point being that you'll be unable to get to an early appointment in time ( the first flight is about 9 ish ) - The later the appointment, the easier it is to avoid having to sleep over the previous night.

The flight is about 45 minutes and it takes roughly 30 minutes to get to the Hospital from the airport.

As regards to this yes you are totally correct, but I think this applies to Binters winter schedule, during the peak season you can get flights with Binter as early as 6:30-7am if my memory serves me right. There's alot more flights laid on too.

Brightspark

Also to mention, a taxi from Gran Canaria airport to the hospital is around 20 euro
The bus is 4 euro, but the bus is a great option, it's a 20 minute journey straight up the motorway, only stops a couple of times on the way.