Own business and healthcare system

Started by stevenizzy, September 07, 2014, 21:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevenizzy

Hi everyone,

We are doing some research on opening a business in Fuerte. Does anyone know if a married couple open a business together how does the medical cover work I.e. would the tax we both pay entitle us to medical cover?

Thanks,
Izzy.

SheilaW

I imagine you'll be self-employed i.e. autonomo, not a limited company? If so, I do know that if one person is autonomo and the other one has no employment (e.g. early retiree) then they can be an official dependent, just like a kid would be. That means that the one set of contributions cover you both. That's our situation (or was until hubby became a UK pensioner).

But if both of you are working in the business, it will probably be different.  I imagine you'll both need to pay the â,¬280 or so per month social security contributions and then you'd definitely each qualify in your own right. You really need to speak to an asesor (accountant). S/he should have the facts, and you'll need help setting things up and doing tax returns anyway, unless you speak Spanish.

Note that it's the social security contributions that entitle you to health cover (and a small pension later on). Tax is separate and just has to be paid!