RYANAIR

Started by malabu, August 26, 2018, 09:49:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

malabu

Good old Ryanair do it again 8 Euro to stand in the never ending queues to check in your carry on hand luggage for the hold, unless you pay 6 Euro for priority boarding and then you can have carry on baggage, whats next ?

spitfire58

You could see that was next on the cards when they changed the baggage conditions last time. Much as I like Ryanair they never miss an opportunity to manipulate their customers into a corner. Having said that, don`t think they are any different to any others TBH

bedouin

Easyjet charge up to £22.99 extra per flight for a reserved seat with 2 bags. Or £27 to put a 15kg bag in the hold.

Lexeus

Easyjet also charge £0 for an unlimited weight piece of hand luggage that is 56x45x25 considerably larger than what ryanair are now charging for: 55cm x 40cm x 20cm with 10Kg max

bedouin

Quote from: Lexeus on August 26, 2018, 15:22:37 PM
Easyjet also charge £0 for an unlimited weight piece of hand luggage that is 56x45x25 considerably larger than what ryanair are now charging for: 55cm x 40cm x 20cm with 10Kg max

But Easyjet say there's only room for 70 bags in the plane, any extras will be put in the hold and the passengers will need to queue at the baggage carousel.  Also, ordinary Easyjet bookings don't allow for these passengers to take an additional small underseat bag with them (handbag, laptop bag, etc) unless they've paid extra for Flexi, Upfront, etc.  Ryanair's £6 charge to guarantee 2 cabin bags is quite reasonable.

bedouin

Quote from: vivafuerte on August 26, 2018, 16:25:32 PM
yeah but id pay more to not fly ryannair

like a lot of others

So, let's consider the passenger numbers in 2017...

Ryanair 130 million
Easyjet 82 million
British Airways 45 million
Norwegian 33 million
Wizz Air 28 million
Flybe 9 million
Jet2 9 million

Looks like you're in a minority!

malabu

Quote from: bedouin on August 26, 2018, 15:47:41 PM
Quote from: Lexeus on August 26, 2018, 15:22:37 PM

But Easyjet say there's only room for 70 bags in the plane, any extras will be put in the hold and the passengers will need to queue at the baggage carousel.  Also, ordinary Easyjet bookings don't allow for these passengers to take an additional small underseat bag with them (handbag, laptop bag, etc) unless they've paid extra for Flexi, Upfront, etc.  Ryanair's £6 charge to guarantee 2 cabin bags is quite reasonable.
You fail to mention the £8.00 to put trundler in the hold and still have to queue both ends, and just how much can you get in the bag no more than 10 kg

bedouin

Quote from: malabu on August 26, 2018, 17:03:36 PM

You fail to mention the £8.00 to put trundler in the hold and still have to queue both ends, and just how much can you get in the bag no more than 10 kg

Wouldn't many people prefer to pay £6 for Priority to guarantee 2 cabin bags?

Ivemovedon

About time all airlines brought this cabin baggage charade to an end.

spitfire58

Quote from: bedouin on August 26, 2018, 17:07:31 PM
Quote from: malabu on August 26, 2018, 17:03:36 PM

Wouldn't many people prefer to pay £6 for Priority to guarantee 2 cabin bags?

Like I said (& I remind you all, I actually like the Ryanair service, just not there marketing strategy) You used to be able to take one carry on case (10kg) and a hand/laptop bag but it had to be able to go into your main bag. That was fine. Then they gave it as keep them separate, so two bags (or bag & a half if you like) that was also fine. Then it was hand/laptop in with you & hard 10kg in the hold for free unless you pay priority. THAT STILL GAVE YOU OPTIONS.  Now it is if you want the 10kg it`s either pay priority or pay to put in hold. All just shoehorning passengers into a position where they MUST pay one or the other. So now we have initial ticket price PLUS pay for sitting together (because the algorithm was set to specifically separate combined bookings) PLUS now pay either 6â,¬ for priority or 8â,¬ for case in hold. The cheapest possible ticket from Scotland to Fuerte is I think £24.99 & now the compulsory charges are £12 on top (minimum) so the ticket isn`t £24.99, it`s £36.99 still probably better than the rest but that is not the point !!!

bedouin

Quote from: spitfire58 on August 26, 2018, 17:41:04 PM
The cheapest possible ticket from Scotland to Fuerte is I think £24.99 & now the compulsory charges are £12 on top (minimum) so the ticket isn`t £24.99, it`s £36.99 still probably better than the rest but that is not the point !!!

Probably better than the rest, but still an incredible bargain!  Just look at train fares from Scotland to anywhere!

It's also worth noting that you don't have a great deal of choice of airlines from Scotland.  The main alternative is Jet2, and they'll charge you a lot more.

bedouin

Quote from: vivafuerte on August 26, 2018, 18:02:14 PM
are you paid to apologise for ryannair ? its ll you seem to do on here (with hardly any readers i might add)

or are you just trying desperatly to prevent the price of your shares falling to the ground ?

I don't apologise for Ryanair (only one n, you'll note).  But a lot of people have a foolish and irrational hatred of them and, as you've personally seen, I don't suffer fools gladly.

It's true that I have shares in Ryanair; I also have shares in easyJet.  My Ryanair shares have increased in value by 59.87%; my easyJet shares have reduced in value by 4.54%.

spitfire58

Quote from: bedouin on August 26, 2018, 17:55:06 PM
Quote from: spitfire58 on August 26, 2018, 17:41:04 PM
The cheapest possible ticket from Scotland to Fuerte is I think £24.99 & now the compulsory charges are £12 on top (minimum) so the ticket isn`t £24.99, it`s £36.99 still probably better than the rest but that is not the point !!!

Probably better than the rest, but still an incredible bargain!  Just look at train fares from Scotland to anywhere!

It's also worth noting that you don't have a great deal of choice of airlines from Scotland.  The main alternative is Jet2, and they'll charge you a lot more.
Take the point with the limited services from Scotland. That doesn`t make the marketing tactics of Ryanair any more palatable. We use them because we want to keep costs down as much as possible to get as many trips to our favourite place as possible, as they say “you have to kiss some frogs throughout your life”

Ivemovedon

Since when was questioning a companies sharp practices on customer care regarded as hatred.

I'm pleased you are a satisfied shareholder and long may it continue, but that does not mean those not directly financially connected to them have to swallow the constant change in policy without criticism.

Ivemovedon

Shareholder satisfaction with a company does not always equate to customer satisfaction.

bedouin

Quote from: Ivemovedon on August 26, 2018, 19:35:46 PM
Since when was questioning a companies sharp practices on customer care regarded as hatred.

I'm pleased you are a satisfied shareholder and long may it continue, but that does not mean those not directly financially connected to them have to swallow the constant change in policy without criticism.

I haven't accused you of hatred, so please don't try to put words in my mouth.

Successful companies change their product offerings constantly, to stay competitive.  Sometimes the changes attract criticism, as for example British Airways' recent decision to sell high-priced M&S sandwiches on short-haul flights rather than give away free meals.  But life goes on, passengers vote with their feet, and 130 million of them every year choose to walk on to a Ryanair plane.

bedouin

Quote from: vivafuerte on August 26, 2018, 22:18:28 PM

that might be part of the reason why ive been discovering other parts of the world, and lets be fair the binter turbo prop shames every ryannair plane to the point a 30 euro hop to fuerte from any direct flight to the other islands makes absolute sense for anyone wanting to avoid ryannair.

we did this exact same thing on our last visit, then took the binter turbo prop to another island before leaving a week later.

Well, that's one solution, but I didn't realise Binter offers Business Class.  And it's a lot of wasted time in airports.

fizzy lemonade

Ryanair are absolutely fine, don't understand all the hate, used them in & out of Rome in June at a very good price.
We were in Paris in July, chose a different carrier into CDG due to better flight times but CDG was a pain in the ass, would definitely consider Ryanair into Beauvais in the future, have done Beauvais before.
Will be in Fuerteventura in a few weeks, flying home with Ryanair, as the time suits, inbound with another airline, as the price was better at the time of booking.
It all comes down to the bottom line, no problem buying priority boarding if we've only got hand luggage so we can get in & out of airports quickly & the bottom line price is acceptable.

Ivemovedon

Why does the word hate keep cropping up.

Seems to me there is a generally intense dislike of the arrogance of the man who oversees their customer services policies. And a highly critical view of their constant meddling with baggage weights and rules.

But hatred...that's a big word. I don't think so. It's a word commonly used these days usually to stifle debate by cowing your adversary and claiming the moral high ground.

jill tie

I like most book the cheapest option.  I am only normally swayed by flight times. 
that said if the prices were close I would chose any airline ahead of Ryanair.  I recently
had a flight with BA and it was a much nicer experience free meal free drink more legroom.
However we cannot forget without Ryanair the island would not be what it is.  The
other airlines would increase prices if they left fuerte. 

spitfire58

Quote from: jill tie on August 27, 2018, 07:36:04 AM
I like most book the cheapest option.  I am only normally swayed by flight times. 
that said if the prices were close I would chose any airline ahead of Ryanair.  I recently
had a flight with BA and it was a much nicer experience free meal free drink more legroom.
However we cannot forget without Ryanair the island would not be what it is.  The

Yeah, I get that Jill. When Ryanair stopped flying to Fuerte it woke everyone up. I think they actually do a great job as an airline, good quality aircraft, good staff, reliable & punctual and for us up North, one of the few !! Just don`t like the psychologically aggressive marketing 🙂🙂

Johnrgby2

Quote from: vivafuerte on August 26, 2018, 23:07:53 PM
Quote from: bedouin on August 26, 2018, 22:22:50 PM
I didn't realise Binter offers Business Class.  And it's a lot of wasted time in airports.

you should try them, great service and about 4 flights a day from fuerte,

There are more than that, there is around twelve/thirteen today, I am just off to meet one.

dagwood

Hi Jill that sounds like a pleasant trip but in the interest of accuracy were the drinks and meal free or were they included in the price. Also would the tickets have cost less if the food wasn`t required.

Charlie dont surf

Think you wil find the leg room with Ryanair is also more generous than BA short haul economy.

malabu

Wonderful Ryanair sent out compensation checks and forgot to authorise  them,

jill tie

Quote from: dagwood on August 27, 2018, 10:01:26 AM

Hi Jill that sounds like a pleasant trip but in the interest of accuracy were the drinks and meal free or were they included in the price. Also would the tickets have cost less if the food wasn`t required.

Obviously not free Dagwood my point was no hidden extras.

jill tie

"Think you wil find the leg room with Ryanair is also more generous than BA short haul economy"

Maybe I got lucky Charlie,  but the legroom was definetly better on BA (I suppose it depends on the plane).

dagwood

Quote from: jill tie on August 28, 2018, 09:37:27 AM
Quote from: dagwood on August 27, 2018, 10:01:26 AM

Obviously not free Dagwood my point was no hidden extras.

Hi Jill when I travel I don`t buy a meal and definitely not drinks except maybe a bottle of water. I would consider it a waste of money paying for something I don`t need or want and would rather it was an option and my choice.
Extras should be optional.

Archer

Jill. Legroom was reduced on BA european flights at the beginning of this year. They installed 2 additional rows of seats (12 seats) on their A320 fleet. At the same time they stopped offering free drinks and food in economy class.
An M&S sandwich now costs a tad under £5 and they do not accept cash!

jill tie

I can only speak from experience.  In July I flew to Majorca
it was complimentary food and drinks and more leg room.  It
was a smaller plane so maybe not suitable to be altered