free plants

Started by pat2u, November 10, 2017, 10:15:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pat2u

Does anyone know if the Cabildo are giving the plants this year, if so what are the dates?

calculator

Don't know yet. But usually happens end of November.

TamaraEnLaPlaya

The distribution will take place from November 20 to 24 in the Nursery of the Biological Station of La Oliva and in Betancuria on days 28 and 29

The Cabildo de Fuerteventura, through the Ministry of the Environment, directed by Natalia Évora, will celebrate the Day of the Tree with a distribution of plants in the nurseries of the Biological Station of La Oliva and Betancuria. They will be delivered up to a maximum of ten copies per person, being essential the majority of age and the presentation of the DNI.

The distribution in the Nursery of the Biological Station of the Oliva will take place from November 20 to 24, or until the end of stock, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. The distributed species will be the carob tree, seedling, canary cardón, crown, drago, guaydil, canary incense, jorjao, lavender, olivillo, marine rosemary, sweet tabaiba, wild or bitter tabaiba, white tajinaste, verol and cruet. You can also request ten copies of Canarian palm.

In Betancuria the cast will take place on November 28 and 29, or until the end of stock, from 10.30 am to 1 pm. In this nursery will be distributed specimens of wild olive, carob, mastic, canary cardon, dragon tree, tabaibas, palms and verol.

With this activity, the Cabildo seeks to raise awareness about the importance of trees for life, both to purify the air and preserve the soil, avoiding the erosion of it during the rains. Trees are also a source of food for both the human being and the fauna of the Island, which also uses them to nest and seek refuge.

The initiative also aims to raise awareness among the population about the benefits of trees as a resource to fence the land and avoid noise pollution. Likewise, the importance of the role played by the citizen in the natural environment is transmitted to the public, contributing to improve the environment by planting trees, something that is available to everyone.

Last year 6,069 species of plants were distributed during this activity. A total of 583 people approached the nursery of La Oliva to collect the plants, which means that, if all these specimens were planted, the Island has at least 6,000
planted species thanks to citizen collaboration. To this figure should be added the repopulations that the Ministry of Environment has carried out in the last year.

Bertie

more people there this morning than at an el cotillo home game...
will try again tomorrow.

Johnrgby2

Quote from: Bertie on November 20, 2017, 16:39:18 PM
more people there this morning than at an el cotillo home game...
will try again tomorrow.

men and a dog is not a very long queue Bertie ::)

Jamesy

Quote from: TamaraEnLaPlaya on November 14, 2017, 22:15:55 PM

The distribution will take place from November 20 to 24 in the Nursery of the Biological Station of La Oliva and in Betancuria on days 28 and 29

The Cabildo de Fuerteventura, through the Ministry of the Environment, directed by Natalia Évora, will celebrate the Day of the Tree with a distribution of plants in the nurseries of the Biological Station of La Oliva and Betancuria. They will be delivered up to a maximum of ten copies per person, being essential the majority of age and the presentation of the DNI.

The distribution in the Nursery of the Biological Station of the Oliva will take place from November 20 to 24, or until the end of stock, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. The distributed species will be the carob tree, seedling, canary cardón, crown, drago, guaydil, canary incense, jorjao, lavender, olivillo, marine rosemary, sweet tabaiba, wild or bitter tabaiba, white tajinaste, verol and cruet. You can also request ten copies of Canarian palm.

In Betancuria the cast will take place on November 28 and 29, or until the end of stock, from 10.30 am to 1 pm. In this nursery will be distributed specimens of wild olive, carob, mastic, canary cardon, dragon tree, tabaibas, palms and verol.

With this activity, the Cabildo seeks to raise awareness about the importance of trees for life, both to purify the air and preserve the soil, avoiding the erosion of it during the rains. Trees are also a source of food for both the human being and the fauna of the Island, which also uses them to nest and seek refuge.

The initiative also aims to raise awareness among the population about the benefits of trees as a resource to fence the land and avoid noise pollution. Likewise, the importance of the role played by the citizen in the natural environment is transmitted to the public, contributing to improve the environment by planting trees, something that is available to everyone.

Last year 6,069 species of plants were distributed during this activity. A total of 583 people approached the nursery of La Oliva to collect the plants, which means that, if all these specimens were planted, the Island has at least 6,000
planted species thanks to citizen collaboration. To this figure should be added the repopulations that the Ministry of Environment has carried out in the last year.

So if one only has NIE (albeit not renewed since 2015 @@) => no plants?

Can I "convert" NIE to DNI if I can prove I'm living in FV? Brexit driving me bonkers, Hammond just about to ruin pound further, as just opened his mouth  Xrt as at 12:38 on 22nd 1.1277 watch it fall to 1.09

dagwood

Don't be saying anything about the B word. Fire and Brimstone will raining down on your head from all angles. 
Just watch this space. Nearly as bad as calling a pit bull a nice doggy in a public place. :     

Archer

NIE is adequate for your free plants...but you'll have to hurry.

I waited for 1.09 euro rate but it didn't happen. Won't be taking any financial advice from you!! :D

TamaraEnLaPlaya

Collected my plants from La Oliva this morning and NO ID was required today, just fill in your details on a form, nothing checked.
They had run out of Rosemary, Lavender and Olive trees!

Captain Sensible

In the press it says over 400 people collected free plants.

Archer

I wonder how many of the 400 manage to keep them alive, or just take them 'cos the're free.

calculator

Who was the loud-mouthed male speaking English (he didn't look English) that was harrassing unsuspecting foreigners for their plants......"U know u can get 10 free palm trees and if u don't want them, I'll take them."

It's the same every year, greedy people. Probably a gardener/landscaper who then sells them to his customers!!

Anyway, we collected a couple of species that we didn't have already. Was pleasantly surprised that they still had them.

Almost everything we plant, grows. Unfortunately, many of the indigenous locals drop the plants in their plot without even digging a hole and expect the rain to water them and the roots to find their way out of the plastic bag, lol.

An excited Italian? woman asked the Cabildo bloke how to plant her palm tree. "Do I take it out of the plastic first".

A little clarity on some of the plants: Romero marino is not rosemary; Olivillo is NOT an Olive tree for producing edible olives, its a wild one for decoration. Loads of people get caught out by that mistake.

A good initiative by the Cabildo, getting people to plant the island. Saves them the bother. A shame they don't provide water subsidies like they do for "farmers".

Jamesy

Quote from: Archer on November 22, 2017, 17:06:32 PM
NIE is adequate for your free plants...but you'll have to hurry.

I waited for 1.09 euro rate but it didn't happen. Won't be taking any financial advice from you!! :D

Just goes to show "miracles DO happen", I just anticipated as soon as he opens his mouth it will fall off the cliff! ;)

Jamesy

Quote from: TamaraEnLaPlaya on November 24, 2017, 00:09:05 AM
Collected my plants from La Oliva this morning and NO ID was required today, just fill in your details on a form, nothing checked.
They had run out of Rosemary, Lavender and Olive trees!

What kind of lavenders do they normally "stock"? I anticipate it's not English (augustiflora) lavender or even French (bunny ears), the salty winds might kill them.

It would be interesting to hear from those who have these plants alive for a number of years how do they keep them alive, rain water watering...
Cheers

TamaraEnLaPlaya

I already have Romero Marino in my garden, it certainly seems like a Rosemary, just not the variety that British people may be accustomed to. Smells like it, tastes like it, even looks very like it but not as dense/lush foliage and different coloured flowers. I keep it going with regular watering (twice weekly) off the mains supply but in well drained pot.

I have a number of different lavenders. The 'local' one that I bought from a garden centre here is again in a well drained pot and watered from the mains supply. It looks very recognisable as a lavender but unfortunately has very little smell, either the leaves or the seed heads. The best lavender I have is one I have grown from seeds collected on La Gomera - it seeds itself all over my garden and other pots to the extent that I weed it out! Unfortunately this is also lacking in smell but it is a really useful filler growing where nothing else wants to, even in the driest poorest areas without any added water!

I have grown most of the plants offered by the Ayuntamiento in gardens in Corralejo and Tindaya. They all really perk up after rain, but 99% of the time they get tap water. Main thing is not to overwater - it is quite a fine line keeping them with an adequate supply and not drowning them, and more easily achieved in the ground than in pots, in my opinion/experience. The plants that do best are the ones that are watered via the deopodura (never quite sure how to spell this) system, this seems better than any bought fertilisers!   ;D

Captain Sensible

I collected some free plants from La Oliva and Betancuria a few years ago, and they are still thriving.

The plants they give away are native and so require little water.  I only water mine about once a week, and use water from the shower/bath.

Jamesy

Quote from: Captain Sensible on November 25, 2017, 08:05:30 AM
I collected some free plants from La Oliva and Betancuria a few years ago, and they are still thriving.

The plants they give away are native and so require little water.  I only water mine about once a week, and use water from the shower/bath.

water from the shower/bath - what about soap and "stuff", does it need filtering?

Captain Sensible

Quote from: Jamesy on November 27, 2017, 13:03:09 PM

water from the shower/bath - what about soap and "stuff", does it need filtering?

No treatment - just collect in the bath and take it in a bucket to the plants.  It's something I've done for 13 years, and the garden is full of thriving Canarian plants and trees.  I haven't got a watering system installed.

Jamesy

Quote from: Captain Sensible on November 27, 2017, 14:10:51 PM
Quote from: Jamesy on November 27, 2017, 13:03:09 PM

No treatment - just collect in the bath and take it in a bucket to the plants.  It's something I've done for 13 years, and the garden is full of thriving Canarian plants and trees.  I haven't got a watering system installed.

True to the name, Sensible! :)

Captain Sensible

Snowdrop

Well hope the ayuntamiento don`t send anyone round to cut any planted in the street like they did in our street a free years ago - we had a few lovely palms 😕