Down South

Started by Banjo, October 06, 2017, 23:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banjo

I can't remember exactly how many time we've returned to Fuerte since our first visit 4 years ago but it's about 8, including 3 times so far this year. We've only ever been 'oop north'  Corralejo & Cotillo, Caleta holds no sway with me. I've seen it (twice for the afternoon) and I don't need to go back.

We're over again at the back end of November for 9 days, it was going to be 8 but our return flight with Monarch on the Saturday went pop on us this week so we booked the Sunday flight back with Jet2. As yet, we haven't booked accommodation.

I've noticed that most of the Brit ex-pats/holiday home owners on here seem to based in the north so what's the aversion to the south? We like Cotillo & Corralejo for the laid-back feel. It is still there despite what people who have been living or visiting there for longer than we have think. As stated by 1 or 2 in the '7 Pints' thread, maybe it it is more commercial now but it's no Lanzarote....yet. Corralejo is still 2 dozen Irish bars and a couple of lapdancing clubs short of becoming another PDC.

Anyway, the south, is it worth visiting? We could quite happily while away 9 days in Cotillo without getting bored, it has rustic charm and that suits us down to the ground. The south looks lovely in all the pics but it also looks a bit "identikit, anywhere in the Med" kind of thing. Also, we don't do hotels or complexes, just privately rented apartments and the south looks like mainly hotels/complexes.

So, the point I was trying to get to is; the south, should I bother or is 9 days there going to turn me off the island for ever?

Disclaimer: Yes, I do know it's not in the Med.

spitfire58

Hi Banjo,
Haven`t spent a lot of time “down South” but I believe it is mostly liked by the Germans & naturists. There are a few places I would like to see though like Sotavente beach & villa Winter & the “art nuveou” villa south of Costa Calma, Esquinoso I think it is. Apart from that, not much going on down that end unless you are a surfer 😁😁😁

Ivemovedon

We are going down south for a few days then up north. To be honest we do it just to get about. Jandia itself is soulless , every bar and restaurant looks the same. ( Bit like the Germans really lol ). The place has no back streets and is just one long strip. Great beach though if thats what floats your boat. However in walking distance of Jandia strip is Morro Jable. Now that's got the Spanish feel if you want it with a little seafront area with fish restarants et with the town behindc. I think you'd like it.We do , its all we go there for.

duncolm

I'm of the 'Caleta's not for me' persuasion too.
A couple of years ago we self-catered in Morro Jable for a few days before driving to Cotillo for the remainder. I enjoyed Morro Jable. It's relaxed, has great beaches, a variety of restaurants, an old town to explore if you don't mind steep hills. The fact that there are more Germans doesn't bother me and their presence certainly does nothing to force down the quality of things. The trip to Cofete is a great adventure. Rather than risking the drive there's a service bus or 4x4 tours.
Apart from the beaches I agree it probably does get a bit soulless as you head north up the strip towards the Esquinzo hotels. However I'd just as soon stay in MJ as Corralejo.

By the way I don't think there's anything left of the American Star wreck now. It's just an iconic image on postcards.

Banjo

Viva & Spitfire..or anybody; just how bad is the road to Casa Winter (sorry, I don't do the v word)? Are you saying it's impossible in a hire car? It can't be any worse than the coast road from Cotillo to Corralejo, I managed to get round that earlier this year.

Off to Morro Jable for a couple of days and I'd love to be able to get to Casa Winter.

spitfire58

Hi Banjo,
It`s not so much that you can`t do the Villa winter road in a car but to use a hire car invalidates the insurance (off road). Having said that we have all probably done a bit of it there.
If you look on you tube there are a couple of videos taken on the road & isn`t as bad as some make out. You could use the 4x4 tour bus to play safe. Give us a feed back if you try it, we were going to try when we are out in December 🙂🙂

Banjo

Will do, we're going to take a look at it on Saturday or Sunday so I'll let you know.

Archer

The majority of vehicles at Punta Jandia and Cofete are hire cars. Obviously most ignore the rules.
Just let the bus through, if you see him looming up in your mirror...he'll have you off the road!!

Banjo

We drove to  Casa Winter on Saturday . For anybody who is a reasonably confident driver, it's a  piece of cake. You have to hope that drivers coming from the opposite direction are taking as much care as you are (which isn't always the case)  round the winding roads but other than that the road surface itself is fine. There were loads of standard hire cars can about, the unimog bus lay redundant at the viewing point, its driver kipping on the seats.

The house itself, in my opinion, isn't worth the trip but the views along the way make it worthwhile. There's a lot of myth, rumour and supposition about Casa Winter  but little is corroborated and the artifacts exhibited make it all a little bit farcical. I appreciate that people have given their time for free to get this project off the ground so hopefully  some sort  of genuine  picture  of what went on there will emerge one day.  It's about 20k from Morro Jable and it took us the best part of 45 minutes to get back so that tells its own story about the terrain.

We went to Punta Jandia beforehand and took up Viva's suggestion of stopping at Puerto de la Cruz, for lunch which was well worth it. As for La Pared, which we went to on Sunday, what a glorious spot!

Costa Calma; it's an absolutely fantastic holiday destination.........for the Germans.......they're  welcome to it. "Costa calm...on,  let's get out of here" more like. Morro Jable is better but not by much, 3 days is enough.

Moving up north tomorrow and hoping to check out some other locations on the way. The landscape and scenery down south is breathtaking but the holiday destinations  leave me cold. I definitely would come again but I'd stay somewhere more remote and hire an all-terrain vehicle to really explore the area next time.

Thanks to all those that offered advice or suggestions.

spitfire58

Thanks for the update Banjo. Sounds like it`s a place to give a miss 😁😁

suendrob

Quote from: Banjo on November 24, 2017, 01:13:22 AM
Will do, we're going to take a look at it on Saturday or Sunday so I'll let you know.

Take a decent towrope and a 20euro note, just in case.

If you manage it ok, we might try it this year.

GSD Girl

Very interesting Banjo. Thank you. We plan to do an overnight stay in Morro Jarble in December. Nothing booked yet just see what`s on offer on the day. Your information has helped a lot and given us a bit of insight what to do and what to miss as we will only be there 2 days.  It`s a good 20/25 years since we last went down to Jandia and can`t remember there being a lot there at the time. Sounds like not too much has changed. We will see. :)

Banjo

Thanks viva but unfortunately I didn't get to see your post until it was too late and we were up in Cotillo, therefore we missed Playa Garcey, although I think the tide was in too far anyway. We did stop to admire the view from Sicasumbre viewpoint and for lunch at Ajuy which more than made up for it.

There's definitely plenty to see over a 2 day period GSD but don't ask me for any advice on where to eat in Morro Jable in the evening, we didn't find anywhere particularly enthralling. There's a couple of nice places to stop for a drink on the front but I think food-wise, you'd need to do a bit more homework than we did.

gattaca66

Strange - and probably a good thing - that we all have different likes/dislikes, which makes exploring the island oneself so interesting! Unlike earlier posters we love Caleta, we live here, but have enjoyed exploring all of the places recommended above. I'd add Punto del Viento, an amazing viewpoint over Cofete without the long drive down there; Mal Nombre at low tide, great for a beach stroll followed by a beer in the bar; the mirador just to the north, on the old road, fab views from the lovely restaurant. All of these within a few kilometres of each other!

Will196

Last couple of years I've seen an increasing number of non Germans. British,Russian and others. Sadly mostly seem to not research the area and get upset with the obvious situation. The C/O beach is C/O. If they'd spent ten seconds on google they would have know the beaches are what they are. Instead of ten seconds on google they spend a week shaking their heads and whining.

The funny thing is some seem to think whining will cause the hundreds of naked people to get dressed  ::)

bedouin

Quote from: Will196 on December 06, 2017, 06:57:45 AM
Last couple of years I've seen an increasing number of non Germans. British,Russian and others. Sadly mostly seem to not research the area and get upset with the obvious situation. The C/O beach is C/O. If they'd spent ten seconds on google they would have know the beaches are what they are. Instead of ten seconds on google they spend a week shaking their heads and whining.

The funny thing is some seem to think whining will cause the hundreds of naked people to get dressed  ::)

Yes, it's strange.  Always funny to read the TripAdvisor reviews of hotels in the south - there are always lots of "Beware, nudists on the beach" comments. 

conniebee

Re Gattaca66 :  "the mirador just to the north, on the old road, fab views from the lovely restaurant." Where would that be  ? North of Mal Nombre ? Is no restaurant there.
conniebee

gattaca66

Quote from: conniebee on December 07, 2017, 12:05:01 PM
Re Gattaca66 :  "the mirador just to the north, on the old road, fab views from the lovely restaurant." Where would that be  ? North of Mal Nombre ? Is no restaurant there.

Apologies, my geography was a little 'out'. The Mirador de Sotovento is actually to the north of Costa Calma, on the old roads, and tricky to find. If you use Google Maps it comes up, and you can plot a route, depending on whether travelling from the north or south. The road is 'metalled', not a rough track, and it's well worth finding!

conniebee

Interesting - don't go north of C. Calma much but we will investigate.
conniebee