Fuerteventura Emergency Services

Started by Spike On Q, June 13, 2014, 10:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spike On Q

My wife was involved in a serious car accident last evening. I arrived about 10 minutes after the accident which took place on the road between Tiscamanita and Tuineje.

Within a couple of minutes an emergency ambulance arrived with a paramedic and technician on board
A minute later a fire engine arrived with three firemen on board closely followed by another SEVEN. They quickly secured the vehicle and removed the battery. One of the firemen came over and put his arm round me and stayed with me

Then six Fuerteventura Emergency Corps personnel arrived followed by a Cabildo vehicle to open the road as soon as safe

It took six people to get her secured onto a board and out of the car. Eight people lifted her from the board to the stretcher. Her vitals were checked in the ambulance and she was taken to hospital accompanied by a 4x4 vehicle to make sure they got safely off the rough ground

It was all carried out very professionally and with such great care I'm emotional as I write this. She is still in hospital having scans to check there is no nerve damage to her back but we're hoping she'll be home today

We all joke about on here about things here on the Island but sometimes it's worth recognising how lucky we are to have such professional and dedicated people to rely on to keep us safe

Ivemovedon

Hope she is not serious spike. I wish her well.

emmi

I too wish her well Spike.  Good to know also of the speedy response by the Emergency Services.

isleswing

It must make you feel good to see the quick response, and the care she received.

Wish her well and a speedy recovery.

woe10

I hope she has a full recovery Spike.

For anyone who doesn't already know, here's a great App called Fress, for iPhone or Android, which puts you in direct contact with Emergency Services at the touch of a button.
It also logs your position by GPS so you don't have to explain where you are.

akela

nacnud

I wish your good lady a speedy recovery.

admin

Good of you Spike to find positivity in your gratitude to the emergency services in this time of great distress.

Best wishes to you both.

Captain Sensible

I was shocked to read about the accident, Spike.  I hope Mrs Spike wasn't too badly injured and is recovering. 

I saw the news report and photo of the accident in the Spanish press this morning.

wavell ave

the people and the system you speak of saved my wife,s life, the people are so caring its unbelivable, thank you all concerned i have 5000 points on disa card i  will donate to cruz roja so grateful thank you

Jock719

We wish your wife a speedy and full recovery, and hope you are OK. Good to hear the services responded so fully and so quickly. 

Spike On Q

Thanks everyone

and thanks to The Captain - this will give you some idea of the scene - just look at that firemen gently lifting her out of the car and on to the stretcher and the one with his arm round me!

http://www.rtvaguacabra.com/noticias/actuaci_n_de_fuerteventura_emergencias_en_un_accidente_de_tr_fico_en_tiscamanita.html#comentarios

Jock719

Looks like a bit of a drop involved, nasty.

niksternoo

Wishing Mrs Spike a very speedy recovery

waggy

Very sorry to read about your wife's accident Spike. Sure she's on the way to recovery already given the care and treatment she's had already. Happened to my wife too, a few years ago - 4 months physio' for whiplash and she was/is up and running again. Marvellous thing modern medical care. We wish you and her well.

TamaraEnLaPlaya

Best wishes to your wife Spike - hope she is up and running around soon. Good to know the local Emergency Services are on the ball and caring too.

dee-dee

Best wishes to your wife,Spike ... Heres to a speedy recovery  :)

SheilaW

It's good to be living in a place where such high priority is placed on responsiveness to life-threatening situations. I know funds are very scarce, and waiting lists for non-urgent things seem to be growing daily, but it's good that they're putting what money they have to such good use.

I hope your wife's continuing care will be taken care of equally efficiently, Spike - physio etc - and that she makes a full recovery.

Snowdrop

I wish you wife a speedy recovery :-)
And hope that the good wishes on this thread gets back to all those wonderful people involved :-)

Can the Man

Hi Spike, please give my best wishes for a speedy recovery to Mrs Spike.

Spike On Q

UPDATE:she is home now, one cracked vertebra, so three months in a brace, could be worse! Hospital 10/10 except the food like school dinners with garlic! Thanks everyone x

admin

(Relatively) Good News !

A scary time for you.

Best wishes and a speedy recovery to her.