Rojo Tomate

Started by KWC, August 25, 2014, 16:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KWC

A new restaurant to try for us, seeing the Canela Cafe was under performing a little!!

Well starters were ok, and main meals were a little disappointing.
Wife had a seafood pasta which was ok, if a little lacking on seafood.  But my simple entecote teak was grossly under cooked and FULL of sinew/fat.

I had asked for my steak to be cooked med/well done, and NO blood running out of it.  So a wide range in which to get a simple steak cooked, but it came back red raw in the middle, and blood running out of it.  They did ask if I had wanted it re-cooked, but tbh I was off that steak after that, and steak is never the same being re-fried, not forgetting my wife would have been finished her dinner.

Not a great first review from me I agree, when so many on trippy have had a better experience than I. But it was  simple dish to cook!!

Just my thoughts on my own experience.

Ivemovedon

last time i went in there it was just a pizza place. Must have upped the menu since.

KWC

Quote from: Holierthanthou on August 28, 2014, 16:42:38 PM
last time i went in there it was just a pizza place. Must have upped the menu since.

Are you by any chance getting mixed up by the pizza place of this name in the Village also?  Its next to the Round about at the end of the main drag. I was lead to believe from local expats taht they always had a good varied menu.  The present owners have only been in charge for about 4 months and evidently have a few things to sort out yet, as friends of ours called in a few nights ago and they also said the food quality/standard was below average.

Linky: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g1216635-d1574049-Reviews-La_Cancela-Lajares_La_Oliva_Fuerteventura_Canary_Islands.html
The above pizza place is one of the very best I have eaten in.

Hope this helps

Ivemovedon

KWC last time i was there which was about 9 months ago there were 2 pizza places in the village. One by the supermarket roundabout La cancela i think  is a great pizza place witha varied menu. Rojo Tomato was opposite canela cafe by the plaza, and just did pizza with a few other bits on the menu. Maybe its changed since i was last there. I intend to find out anyway as im there on Sunday for a few weeks. Also will have to check out canela cafe, if thats gone down hill it really is bad news for the village. (and me in particular)

KWC

Looking forward to your findings HTN.
;) ;)

Ivemovedon

Tried  Rojo Tomate. Brought up a board with steaks and a few other items on the menu. Unfortunately we both fancied a pizza so can't comment on that. But the pizzas were very good, service very good and the wine just so so.

Tried Canela twice with a party of 4 and 7. Ribs we found were as good as ever. Couple of other meals were a little poor but overall no far off what it always has been. John the proprieter has been ill recently and has not been running the show so maybe standards dropped a little while he was absent. What they did have was a musician  who both times was excellent.

Ivemovedon

Just wish to add we have been going in Canela Cafe since it opened and the standard of food etc has always been good. If anyone has suffered a bad experience there it is very unusual and not the norm. I know how hard it is to run a place like that and keep to certain standards, but 99% of the time they get it right.

justthe6ofus

We went to Rojo Tomate twice on our recent trip. We went there for convenience because it was late, we were tired and we just wanted something quick and easy that didn't require 20 minutes staring at a menu (if you see what I mean)

Pizza's were really very good. Service so so - both of the staff, though friendly and pleasant, seemed a tad sleepy (or stoned?)  ;D They weren't busy but they forgot almost everything we asked for and we had to keep reminding them we were still waiting for our drinks etc.

Nice vibe in there though, I liked it, very chilled and casual. Great for a quick meal - not somewhere I'd go for an evening out type of meal though.