Non Resident Tax Help Needed

Started by Buttercup, November 25, 2013, 18:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buttercup

Hi We are looking to buy a property in 2014 to eventually retire to.  However, for 3 or 4 years we will still be living mostly in the UK and therefore Non Resident.  Is the Non Resident Tax the same as, or as well as, the Ayuntamiento (Council Tax)?  If buying a property of about 80,000 Euros how much roughly Ayuntamiento and Non Resident Tax would we have to pay?  Also, if bought in joint names, would we pay half each or both have to pay the full amount.  Any assistance would be much appreciated.

beachlife

The non resident tax and the ayuntamamiento taxes are 2 different things.

The non resident tax is paid by non residents and if you do not rent out your property is fairly straightforward to do yourself and is based on the cadastral value of your property and will be less than 100 euros, the less bedrooms you have in the property the further under 100 euros you will pay. If you are both on the deeds you split the amount in half and pay 50 % and have to do 2 tax forms. You can do all this online yourself, search the forum I have posted how to do this on a number or occasions. You pay this tax a year after its due so if you buy in 2014 you do not have to complete the tax form online till 2015 (you have till 31st December 2015). I pay about 76 euros for my 2 bedroomed house)

The "council" tax is around 200 to 300 euros if you buy a car there is a tax (bit like road tax) but a lot less than UK I pay around 34 euros a year for my car.

Buttercup

Many thanks.  I was getting really worried that it was going too cost so much that we wouldn't be able to come.  You have put my mind to rest. :)

emmi

If you are buying on a complex, then there is also a monthly charge.  Some are low but some can be high, so make sure you find out before you buy.