Car & NIE

Started by Kat Nuts, April 30, 2013, 15:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kat Nuts

I would like to buy a car in Fuerte.

I am not a resident here and am not working here.

I have been told all I need is an NIE (and the money of course) but I have also been told that I cannot get an NIE if I dont have a job here (new rules?)

I am going to the Police Station on Thursday but would like to know if anyone has obtained their NIE recently and what the process was?

Thanks  ;D

Spike On Q

To get an NIE you needs some basic requirements before going the the National police office:

1) Proof of ability to support yourself [don't know the criteria] but a local contract of employment or valid ongoing pension are two examples

2) Proof you have sufficient healthcare cover [either private or government provision] [the EHIC card is not sufficient]

BUT the question will be  "if your not a resident here why do you need a Residencia or for that matter a car?"

Kat Nuts

Hi Spike

I don't want Residencia, just a non-resident's NIE number

Kat

Kat Nuts

I think I may have found my answer on another thread - Globetrotters link at the bottom of the page.....unless anyone knows if things have changed since April last year?

http://www.fuerteventura-forum.com/index.php?topic=14697.0

Canary Admin Services

To obtain the NIE you must state the reason why you are applying for a number but since you are not applying for residency you won't have to provide proof of income or anything like that.

SheilaW

I'm glad you found that other thread, Kat - saves going through it all again! :o Nothing's changed lately, AFAIK.

Do be very careful buying a car, though, as any debts outstanding (e.g. road tax) will become YOUR debts. Odd sort of practice but that's how they do it here.

Kat Nuts

Thanks guys, will let you know how it goes  ;D

Kat Nuts

The NIE application was quite straightforward - I just needed the completed application form, cerftificado de empadramiento, photocopy of my passport and a letter from the owner of the car to say I intend to buy it.
Oh, and the fee which was 9.60

(Although there was a bit of disagreement between the police behind the desk in relation to whether or not the letter from the car owner would suffice or whether they should send me to Trafico to get a document from them  ::) ???)