A Dusty Christmas - Weather Alert.

Started by woe10, December 24, 2014, 10:53:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woe10

Canary Islands - 24.12.2014 - Dust and haze stay around for Christmas in Canaries.

The presence of the "calima" - a massive bank of dusty air from Africa - has prompted a weather alert from the authorities, who have issued advice for children and people with respiratory conditions to take extra care today and avoid being outdoors unnecessarily.

http://www.islandconnections.eu/1000003/1000043/0/44359/daily-news-article.html

Tamkid

I don't envy you Woe, I would rather have snow, ice, wind and heavy rain than a Calima, seriously. I'm in the UK for Christmas, just glad I have missed it.

If you haven't experienced on, its not funny, especially if it is very hot with not a breath of air, its like living in a Murky Sauna with no respite, they always make
me feel depressed.

gattaca66

Still a little hazy today in Caleta, but much clearer than yesterday. I assume a calima can be a great deal worse than this, but right now, just after midday, it's hot  (24 degrees) and sunny and we are all off to the beach. Wouldn't want anyone about to fly out here to fear for their holiday, but I guess anyone with breathing issues would need to take a bit of care!

Captain Sensible

It is nice in Caleta now as Gatta says.  Lots of people about enjoying the sun as it's only a bit hazy.

ashworth

No Calima in Caleta yesterday just a packed beach full of people enjoying a nice hot day. Bit of haze and a very choppy sea. Lots of people around for Christmas eve. We had a enjoyable night in the bars around the new marina,plus a call into Oliver for a few wines. Happy Sunny Christmas folks..

woe10

Beautiful sunny typical Christmas Day today. Hot in the direct sun. Still a little bit dusty, but not like it was  8) 8) 8)

MLA

Looks like it has passed over Cotillo, only a very slight haze in the air. Only really noticeable when looking at photos taken yesterday with the sun in them. Sun all day but breezy on the beach.

Captain Sensible

There's a Yellow Weather alert for suspended dust tomorrow and New Years Day - so that means a Calima with sand & dust arriving from the Sahara.

woe10

decho

Oh dear, I am arriving tomorrow. Can planes land during one of these storms?

Captain Sensible

decho

Phew! Thanks for that, was getting  worried I might miss New Year in paradise!

Spike On Q

Thanks Captain, time to get Neville in doors. At least it's not 50C like an August Calima

woe10

2.00pm, the Calima is getting worse, can't see the mountains. Cold wind too. What a nice ending to the year. Roll on 2015  8)

Spike On Q

It's a BIGGY, vis here in Tuineje less that a mile,    but   brrrrrrrrr it's a cold wind, thermal vest, long sleeved shirt, lined coat, snood, scarfe and I was still cold taking the doggies for a walk. Neville is indoors sitting next to me and breathing OK

Thank God for my Winter Heating Allowance