car tests

Started by CORNISH BOY, April 09, 2016, 21:41:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CORNISH BOY

Can any one help me ,I want to import a car or van to the island it will be al ready registered in Spain and I know I have to import it in the proper manner ,what I am not sure about the Mot equivalent tests for cars and vans are they different either way what are the tests and how often ,many thanks   

woe10

I don't think they're treated differently. The only difference is between diesel (gasoil) and petrol (gasolina).

The MOT is called an ITV ( Inspecion Technico Vehiculos) . There's an ITV Station in Antigua, and one in El Matorral.

It depends on the age how often they are inspected.

chollis

If the car is already on Spanish plates and you keep it here for over six months, and/or register the car to a canary island address you have to put the car through customs paperwork and pay import duty. I imported a quad from Barcelona. You do need to ensure that the price you pay for a vehicle on the mainland justifies the import duty. You cannot register the vehicle to an address here until you have paid the import tax and have the paperwork to show this.

Regarding the ITV (MOT) it depends how the vehicle is classified. Tourismo (normal cars) under 10 years old have to be ITV'd every 2 years and over 10 years old every year. Ligeros (small vans, commercial vehicles) under 10 years old ITV every year and over 10 years old every six months. The classification of the vehicle is on the ownership and ITV documents. The ITV is the same and valid in mainland Spain and the Canary Islands.

Hope that helps.

woe10

Mine's every 6 months. Pain in the backside   :-X

sarah1312

Hi chollis

I too am thinking of importing a car and had presumed that if it was already Spanish registered that would make it easier I presume from your reply that is not the case as you have already imported a car from mainland Spain can you tell me what taxes ect you had to pay and recommend a company to deal with the paperwork in Fuerte

Thanks

Sarah
Sarah Haughian - La Siesta

woodside

We can help you Sarah.  We can do the import and tell you in advance what the import tax and costs will be.  Please contact us through our website www.woodsidecargosl.com
We now also offer the matriculation service in-house once motor vehicles have been imported for anyone bringing vehicles in from the UK, France, Germany etc.
Annette

TamaraEnLaPlaya

I'm impressed Annette! You really are offering a wide range of services these days.  :)

SheilaW

Quote from: sarah1312 on August 26, 2016, 08:58:05 AM
I too am thinking of importing a car and had presumed that if it was already Spanish registered that would make it easier
Believe me, it will be easier. It's getting a car matriculated, i.e. onto Spanish plates, that causes so much hair-pulling. You will have some papers to fill in and some money to pay. A pain but not so bad.

Chris1965

Fully recommend www.woodsidecargosl.com if you are importing a car.

jill tie

I did an ITV on my brother in-laws car last week in Spain (so we could use it).  Process takes about 15 minutes and cost 44.50 Euro (not sure if that's a standard fee?).   

Ole Man River

Thought new cars had to be ITV'd after 4 years & then every 2 years onwards???
Has It changed? Could someone confirm for me please.  :o  8)