Giant wind turbines - a blight on the landscape or essential resouce?

Started by Archer, March 28, 2019, 09:04:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archer

Giant wind turbines - a blight on the landscape or essential resouce?
Just as they agree to install more giant 120 metre wind turbines in El Cotillo close to touristic attractions, the debate about how useful they really are is re-ignited. And another goes up this week near a residential area in Puerto Rosario. These lights are visible from afar.

At Cardon, near Tarajalejo they installed 5 massive turbines right in front of Montana Cardon, a Natural Monument. These gigantic turbines can be seen from over 5 kilometres away, and at nightime flash very bright red lights, that again damage the previously dark-sky environment.

It seems to me that the Canary Governement have a dilema. Be seen to embrace enivironmental issues, or wreck the landscape that is their lifeblood for tourism.

What do you think?

Johnrgby2

Personally, anything that reduces The Carbon emissions and helps the environment has to be a No Brainer, but they must be positioned as unobtrusively as possible, the issue with wind turbines used to be, if the wind was too strong you had to turn them off ::) ::) ::)  I do not know about the more modern ones, but there were a dozen or so along the South Wales coast near Llanelli about 20 years ago and the noise they made, if you got within 200 meters of them, was unbelievable, although it is my understanding they are no longer there.

malabu

Nothing to do with tourist or looking good, it`s about the future and conservation  of our fragile earth.

Johnrgby2

Quote from: malabu on March 28, 2019, 11:33:50 AM
Nothing to do with tourist or looking good, it`s about the future and conservation of our fragile earth.

While I agree malabu I am afraid that horse bolted many years ago

Tamkid

What I don't understand is you have to jump through all sorts of carp to get planning permission to build a house  i.e. it must blend in with the landscape etc but there is absolutely no restriction on how these monstrosities look, providing you pay a back hander to the land owner and local government official, and use the environment issue as a political excuse, you can just about put them up anywhere.

Charlie dont surf

Well, it is basically a rock in the middle of the Atlantic so, In the land of wind and sun, it makes perfect sense to be utilising the natural resources to help power homes & businesses. Especially with an ever increasing population. If it happens to spoil the landscape for a few people then so be it, that's the small price to pay. In El Hierro they managed to generate 18 consecutive days Electricity using 100% renewable energy. I'm sure they're a role model for the rest of the islands.
The tourists still have the unspoilt beaches, which is after all the main attraction on the island.

spitfire58

Would help more if the government stopped their stupid things like “sun tax” etc & let people who want to install domestic solar panels to feed the grid. In my opinion, every house should be built with solar electric panels linked to the grid & a vacuum tube hot water system as standard

Johnrgby2

Quote from: spitfire58 on March 28, 2019, 21:30:01 PM
Would help more if the government stopped their stupid things like “sun tax” etc & let people who want to install domestic solar panels to feed the grid. In my opinion, every house should be built with solar electric panels linked to the grid & a vacuum tube hot water system as standard

Ron! You are using logic again, I have warned you about that before, you will end up being locked up for being A Radical Thinker ;D ;D ;D

spitfire58

Quote from: Johnrgby2 on March 29, 2019, 09:00:27 AM
Quote from: spitfire58 on March 28, 2019, 21:30:01 PM

Ron! You are using logic again, I have warned you about that before, you will end up being locked up for being A Radical Thinker ;D ;D ;D

You got me John. My middle name is “Spock” 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

jg

JG