Internet Speedtest

Started by Carlo, September 27, 2012, 11:52:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlo

Did one of these tests, just wondering what everyone else's in Fuerte is like. Here's my pitiful results -

You can do the test here - http://www.speedtest.net/

Deso

What speed is your line rated at, or what speed are you paying for?

Do you have your router stats, line attenuation, SNR.?  These will be found by logging in to your router.

Just noticed in another thread you should have 10meg connection.
What were your speeds when it first went in?

Try movistars speed test here       http://www.testsdevelocidad.es/
Regards, Neil
Looking forward to the day I tick the "One way only" box when booking flights to Fuerte. [:)]

Carlo

I'm paying for up to 10mb, I think that's the catch mate. The highest I've had on one of those tests is around 3.6mb. I've never had any problems with it per se but was just curious as to what speeds others were getting in Fuerte. Incidentally, that other test you posted doesn't seem to work for me.

I'll try logging in to the router and see what the stats are.

Deso

Have a look at this thread  http://www.fuerteventura-forum.com/index.php?topic=6128.120  page 5 and you will see where Ben has posted his stats, it will give you an idea of what you're looking for.  :)
Regards, Neil
Looking forward to the day I tick the "One way only" box when booking flights to Fuerte. [:)]

Carlo

ben90125

Here's mine

I ran a speed test at the internet cafe which isn't too far from me, like a 7 minute walk and they get 5MB/s or so, but I'm not sure if mine is as it should or if there's a fault causing it to drop a bit.

Also I was told there are 2 Exchanges for Nuevo Horizonte so not sure which I actually connect with.

fourthwisemonkey

I am with orange and currently pay for a 6 meg connection. Usual line speed is about 7.5 Meg. Where I am it is possible for a 10 meg connection with movistar (orange will not offer this currently) and i have checked 2 or 3 10 meg connections and they are not far off (over 9 meg).

Due to various factors you may not get what you want BUT if the max you can get is 3.5 then tell the provider to downgrade your contract to úp to 6 meg´ although i think the difference is only about a euro per month. Remember that the cables here are not always the best (especially within a complex) and whilst distance to exchange means you should get more bandwidth it is not always the case. It helps if you know the local movistar installer as he can check exactly what you can get as opposed to what they say you can get.

As Deso says, if you know what to look for (try google etc) then check your line attenuation and SNR in the router although do be aware that this info can be doctored by the provider (I use a non proprietal router which is obviously not doctored by the service provider). Also it sounds silly but re-boot the router about 5 mins before carrying out a speedtest and see if there is a difference.

Deso

Thes were Bens stats a couple of weeks ago.

Downstream    Upstream
Rate(Kbps)              2539               317

SNR Margin(dB)      6.0                   24.9
Attenuation(dB)      36.8              63.0

The SNR Margin has been changing all day, between 6 and 10.

That's probably the best they have been all day, usually it was between 1-2 and only connecting for 5 minutes at a time.

In theory he should be getting a much better speed on a 10meg line but the SNR keeps dropping down which is not good. Also, the upstream attenuation is a bit weird.

Do you know if Telefonica's master sockets screw terminals or push in type?
I can bring my insertion tool over if needs be.  :)
Regards, Neil

SheilaW

I'm with Movistar at Tamaragua with a 10mg connection and I've seen over 8 mg delivered. I wouldn't be at all happy with 2MB - must be a problem somewhere.

ben90125

Yeah I'm not exactly happy with 2MB tbh but I'll wait and see what Deso thinks when he comes and take's a look then I'll go from there.

fourthwisemonkey

Deso
Generally the incoming line from movistar comes into the junction box in the house on standard Krone connections so will need insertion tool. From there it then distributes internally around the sockets in the house which are often as not screw terminals. Usual problem is the fact that if the property has 3 sockets in the house then these are triple jumpered on the krone connector which often forces apart the connection resulting in a higher impedance or even dis.

In my place I simply re-jumpered so that the only live socket is the one I use for the router/phone....all others remaining dis unless I need them in the future when I will rewire the krone connection or wrap & solder the other extensions

Deso

This particular system is in an old holiday complex so is very likely using what was the old internal phone system.
First thing I want to do is remake the socket, using the master only as you have done and see what we get.
If we get no joy from that, then methinks it is down to Telefonica to sort.  :'(
Regards, Neil

fourthwisemonkey

Any idea what the spanish is for ´woosh test´   :-)

fourthwisemonkey

from the snr results looks like either the dodgy connection at master socket but if fluctuating wildly it does look more like a line problem. Be interesting to know if improved or worsened during recent rain.

Had one recently and problem traced to incoming cable from local junction box to property. Insulation chewed by rats and consequently getting drop outs at irregular intervals and actually losing phone from time to time as well.

Cable in street replaced/jointed by telefonica and all is now good.

Trouble is in old complexes that carried phone only...there may well be electrical cables running in same conduits and if the insulation is breaking down on either/both then could be increased capacitance and or noise hence reduced adsl performance. (especially if snr is actually 6 or so....not good)

ben90125

Yeah, definitely a problem somewhere I just don't know where :P It was really bad for the first 2 weeks, but since then I can usually go a week or more without it dropping out.

The day we had rain it was worse, that night was the first time in about 2/3 weeks it dropped out :(

I am pretty sure there's a problem with the Socket though as when it dropped out if I was to listen to the phone and move the wire about a bit I could hear static and when I found a nice quiet spot it would reconnect.

Also I'm sure my PC hates this place, so far since moving here I have lost my PSU (luckily had a spare but do need to replace it) and last night I find out my HDD is dying, so I've had to wipe my other HDD to reinstall Windows and I'm now down 200GB in storage :P

Deso

Quote from: ben90125 on September 28, 2012, 19:42:12 PM
Yeah, definitely a problem somewhere I just don't know where :P It was really bad for the first 2 weeks, but since then I can usually go a week or more without it dropping out.

The day we had rain it was worse, that night was the first time in about 2/3 weeks it dropped out :(

I am pretty sure there's a problem with the Socket though as when it dropped out if I was to listen to the phone and move the wire about a bit I could hear static and when I found a nice quiet spot it would reconnect.

Also I'm sure my PC hates this place, so far since moving here I have lost my PSU (luckily had a spare but do need to replace it) and last night I find out my HDD is dying, so I've had to wipe my other HDD to reinstall Windows and I'm now down 200GB in storage :P

Apart from that, life is great!!   :D
Regards, Neil

ben90125

Quote from: Deso on September 28, 2012, 21:22:58 PM

Apart from that, life is great!!   :D

Yeah except my PC is my baby :P Just gotta save for some replacements :D

Deso

How much do they want for a PSU over there?
Regards, Neil

ben90125

No idea tbh, haven't been and looked, was gonna order from the UK

Deso

Have a look here....  www.microdirect.co.uk   

If you want anything and let me know before Monday, I can pick up and bring out for you.  :)
Regards, Neil

ben90125

This is what I was looking to get, but from a different website, price is around the same though.

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Home/Product/54649/OCZ-CoreXStream-Series-500W-PSU

If you could get that for me I would be so grateful.

fourthwisemonkey

I would advise getting a small UPS or at least an anti surge plug for your PC (UPS would be better)
Basically the mains voltage here is erratic to say the least and I have monitored the voltage before now and have seen it swing by as much as 20V during a few seconds.
Electrical kit does not like this fluctuation and least a UPS will help smooth out the supply to your PC PSU.

From experience suggest you do not go for a cheap PSU as often a false economy as the outputs are often not stable under load and its better to invest 20 or 30 euro more on your PSU than end up with a fried mobo or cpu. The OCZ range are usually okay.

ben90125

Yeah I do need a surge protector tbh, reason my PSU died was because of plugging it into a certain socket that I now know is dodgy.

Know any places that sell them?

Yeah I wanted the OCZ as there a fairly good brand, luckily when my PSU went it didn't take anything else with it, but tbh it was about 6/7 years old so it had a good life.

woe10

Ben, you didn´t make it clear. Is your computer a laptop or a Tower type computer. To me this is a PC, and a laptop is a laptop. For your PC spares go to the shop I suggested on the other posting. For laptop bits such as PSUs, batterys and hard drives, I have always bought on Ebay from Hong Kong. The cheapest and so far most reliable and no problems with anything.   

ben90125

It's a Tower type, I will be checking that shop out soon but I'd prefer to order my PSU from UK, because I know the quality of it and can be pretty sure it won't destroy any of my components if it somehow breaks.

Deso

Ben, can you use an IDE hard drive, I have one spare due to buying a SATA one. I can bring it if you want it.
Second hand but tested and formatted clean. It will nly be going in the bin otherwise.  :)
Regards, Neil

ben90125

Don't think I can, unless you have the IDE Cable (assume you as you just replaced it), I threw my old 1 away a year ago when I got rid of my old IDE drive. (just out of interest whats the storage capacity on it?)

Deso

375gb, I can probably find a cable if you want it. Let me know one way or the other.
Regards, Neil

ben90125

If you are able to find a cable for it, I'd be more than grateful to take it.

Really hoping your able to find and sort the issue I'm having, it's been a lot worse this past week dc'ing randomly and stuff.

fourthwisemonkey

Electron sell surge protectors and small UPS´s. Also do a surge protector which will switch off all the other ccts connected once your pc is off (ie printer, monitor etc). Used one of these for a few years and saves having to remember to power down everything after logging off. (about 25€ for surge and about 60€ for UPS)

If still having problems in future or if Deso needs a hand then let me know...if available and in the area then happy to help out.