Chablis Wine Bar + Map

Started by Thong Man 007, July 12, 2013, 15:55:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thong Man 007

:) Nice quiet bar with music playing in the back ground.
Owned by Steve with Lisa, Vicki, Stewart working behind the bar in the evening.
Chablis is open in the morning for Breakfast and drinks,
In the evening they do a curry in a Saturday and a Roast on a Sunday. But please book your Roast as they sell out fast.
The Bar is next door to the sports shop at the harbour end of the Main Street.

[map]?=28.736073901552384,%20-13.868927657604218=17=Chablis=roadmap[/map]

Thong Man 007

:o This is a nice little bar on the Main Street nearly opposite a hotel.
Steve, Lisa, Vicki, Stewart are friendly.
Sad to say that takings in bar have really gone down and it is on the verge of closing permanently.
They do a great Sunday Roast.
Don't let another English Bar Close.  :o

seeitasitis

Great bar have been a regular for many years .

Thong Man 007

Just had my last Nite of my weeks holiday in the bar with Steve & Lisa.
Come in on a Monday & Thursday and listen to Trevor Holliday play live, Ex Rubettes & Slade 2.  8)

SoCal

Short review: a very pleasant place for a drink or two or more with properly poured Guinness, air conditioning and WiFi. Quiet by design.  As for food, you better know what to expect.

The rest of the review is the ramblings of a member of the self-designated world police. Tony Blair approved.

This review was in response to my request for a visit to England while on the island.  I started my day by reading several stories about Rumpole of the Baily by John Mortimer including "Rumpole a` la Carte", while sipping my tea and some toast with jam on it. Taking the bus from Cotillo to Corralejo (3.05 euros one way), while listening to the "English Beat" and "The Kinks", I felt I was well prepared for the recommended Sunday roast.   After arriving in Corralejo, I walked around to find the several establishments I planned to visit, and arrived at Chablis at about 1 o'clock.  I had visited Chablis once before with some fellow forum participants during the evening and thought it was pleasant. Walking in during the daytime, I was a bit taken by what I found. The place is dark, like a cave. Most of the façade is dark wood and there is limited, lighting. It consists of mostly a long bar and a bit more than a half a dozen tables. The few customers present were sitting on the patio at the front. Again, the place is better lit during the evening, so the limited lighting may have been a reflection of the lack of clientele, especially an hour before the sacred roast beef is served.  The small patio overlooks the street at an elevated level.  Overall the inside is nice for reading or quiet conversation. It is aimed at the older crowd. The patio, with only 4 or 5 tables, is excellent for people watching.  The music I heard was wretched. It sounded like a radio station playing bad 80's music. At least it was not overwhelming.

While sitting at the front, the very nice lady told me the password for the Wifi included the word "Chablis" where the "s" was pronounced. No wimpy French expressions used here! She beautifully poured me the first of my three pints of Guinness. Of course I let the stout sit to create the wonderful extreme contrast between the light foam and the dark liquid. While there was one group of people waiting for roast beef when I arrived, most folks didn't really show up until just before 2 pm.  In that time, I ordered another pint and was able to read much of my preferred entertainment on my tablet. There was no point in working and in walking around Corralejo, In addition, I had just rolled my ankle stepping off a curb. Clearly I needed the rest and nourishment.

After conversation with the hostess, I ordered the full English experience – the roast beef meal which included the Yorkshire pudding and a dessert.

Now in my book, good roast beef should be ruby red, sliced thinly with only a hint of fat and no gristle and seasoned with freshly cracked pepper or a Dijon and horseradish sauce. The meat, served with nicely seasoned vegetables and a starch, maybe potatoes au gratin or rice pilaf with wafer thin slices of almonds, it makes for a lovely meal.  I was also looking forward to my first tasting of Yorkshire pudding – one of Rumpole's favorite.

So as the clock 2 pm staring to roll around, customers arriving on the patio and inside, and I on my second imperial pint with visions of a hearty meal, I was feeling pretty good.  Then a very bad odor hit me even though I was practically on the street. Had the garbage truck crashed around the corner? It wasn't a sewer line breaking... a different stench. Soon a young and very pleasant woman came out and started serving us. My meal, while filling the plate, consisted of: 2, maybe 3 slices of grey meat, carrots and peas, two forms of potatoes, a crown shaped pastry item (ahh, the Yorkshire pudding!) and the source of the unpleasant odor – boiled Brussels sprouts. 

Brussels sprouts are excellent when sliced and grilled in butter and white wine, so it isn't like I dislike them.  Not to be put off, I did try everything I was served and actually finished most of it. Starting with the bad; the carrots were so over cooked, they had almost no flavor. And the sprouts were almost 50% water. The meat was tough and pretty flavorless. I had to add quite a bit of seasoning. However, the peas still had a snap to them and were flavorful. Yummy. The "mashed spuds" were good, but the best item were the roasted potatoes – roasted well all around with a nice crisp skin from the roasting.

Later the dessert came – apple pie covered in custard.  I like my apple pie to have slices of apple. This one was more like apple flavored gelatin.  The yellow custard of some unidentifiable flavor did bring back memories of lunches when I was a boy living in Wales for a year. I passed on most of it.

I paid the bill. It was very fair, if not inexpensive since the food was only 9.50 euros. Then I said goodbye to the several pleasant people who talked to me out on the patio and headed off to my next location: McCarthy's.  However, given that this is some Christian holiday, it was closed.  That's okay, after 3 pints, I was really ready for a nap. So I went home.

Overall, I like the atmosphere, the service was excellent and friendly, the Guinness was inexpensive by American standards, but I will not be going back for the food. Actually, the food might have been served properly, but I wouldn't know since I have no other British experience to compare it with – or that I can remember.  The other customers appeared happy with their meals and I was told Chablis anticipated selling out within 2 hours.

So take these comments as someone who has a different palette. Maybe English food just isn't for me.
Biking and beaches - total freedom

Windermeregolfer

Another great review SoCal.

Please don't be put off English / British food by this experience, I think the quality is reflected in the price, a good 2 course Sunday Lunch that would meet your expectations would set you back 17 to 20 Euros in the UK - nice rare Sirloin of Beef with lashings of English Mustard and Horseradish mmmmmmmm.

The Guinness sounded as though it was tip top!!!

Quote from: SoCal on April 20, 2014, 18:14:04 PM
Short review: a very pleasant place for a drink or two or more with properly poured Guinness, air conditioning and WiFi. Quiet by design.  As for food, you better know what to expect.

The rest of the review is the ramblings of a member of the self-designated world police. Tony Blair approved.

This review was in response to my request for a visit to England while on the island.  I started my day by reading several stories about Rumpole of the Baily by John Mortimer including "Rumpole a` la Carte", while sipping my tea and some toast with jam on it. Taking the bus from Cotillo to Corralejo (3.05 euros one way), while listening to the "English Beat" and "The Kinks", I felt I was well prepared for the recommended Sunday roast.   After arriving in Corralejo, I walked around to find the several establishments I planned to visit, and arrived at Chablis at about 1 o'clock.  I had visited Chablis once before with some fellow forum participants during the evening and thought it was pleasant. Walking in during the daytime, I was a bit taken by what I found. The place is dark, like a cave. Most of the façade is dark wood and there is limited, lighting. It consists of mostly a long bar and a bit more than a half a dozen tables. The few customers present were sitting on the patio at the front. Again, the place is better lit during the evening, so the limited lighting may have been a reflection of the lack of clientele, especially an hour before the sacred roast beef is served.  The small patio overlooks the street at an elevated level.  Overall the inside is nice for reading or quiet conversation. It is aimed at the older crowd. The patio, with only 4 or 5 tables, is excellent for people watching.  The music I heard was wretched. It sounded like a radio station playing bad 80's music. At least it was not overwhelming.

While sitting at the front, the very nice lady told me the password for the Wifi included the word "Chablis" where the "s" was pronounced. No wimpy French expressions used here! She beautifully poured me the first of my three pints of Guinness. Of course I let the stout sit to create the wonderful extreme contrast between the light foam and the dark liquid. While there was one group of people waiting for roast beef when I arrived, most folks didn't really show up until just before 2 pm.  In that time, I ordered another pint and was able to read much of my preferred entertainment on my tablet. There was no point in working and in walking around Corralejo, In addition, I had just rolled my ankle stepping off a curb. Clearly I needed the rest and nourishment.

After conversation with the hostess, I ordered the full English experience – the roast beef meal which included the Yorkshire pudding and a dessert.

Now in my book, good roast beef should be ruby red, sliced thinly with only a hint of fat and no gristle and seasoned with freshly cracked pepper or a Dijon and horseradish sauce. The meat, served with nicely seasoned vegetables and a starch, maybe potatoes au gratin or rice pilaf with wafer thin slices of almonds, it makes for a lovely meal.  I was also looking forward to my first tasting of Yorkshire pudding – one of Rumpole's favorite.

So as the clock 2 pm staring to roll around, customers arriving on the patio and inside, and I on my second imperial pint with visions of a hearty meal, I was feeling pretty good.  Then a very bad odor hit me even though I was practically on the street. Had the garbage truck crashed around the corner? It wasn't a sewer line breaking... a different stench. Soon a young and very pleasant woman came out and started serving us. My meal, while filling the plate, consisted of: 2, maybe 3 slices of grey meat, carrots and peas, two forms of potatoes, a crown shaped pastry item (ahh, the Yorkshire pudding!) and the source of the unpleasant odor – boiled Brussels sprouts. 

Brussels sprouts are excellent when sliced and grilled in butter and white wine, so it isn't like I dislike them.  Not to be put off, I did try everything I was served and actually finished most of it. Starting with the bad; the carrots were so over cooked, they had almost no flavor. And the sprouts were almost 50% water. The meat was tough and pretty flavorless. I had to add quite a bit of seasoning. However, the peas still had a snap to them and were flavorful. Yummy. The "mashed spuds" were good, but the best item were the roasted potatoes – roasted well all around with a nice crisp skin from the roasting.

Later the dessert came – apple pie covered in custard.  I like my apple pie to have slices of apple. This one was more like apple flavored gelatin.  The yellow custard of some unidentifiable flavor did bring back memories of lunches when I was a boy living in Wales for a year. I passed on most of it.

I paid the bill. It was very fair, if not inexpensive since the food was only 9.50 euros. Then I said goodbye to the several pleasant people who talked to me out on the patio and headed off to my next location: McCarthy's.  However, given that this is some Christian holiday, it was closed.  That's okay, after 3 pints, I was really ready for a nap. So I went home.

Overall, I like the atmosphere, the service was excellent and friendly, the Guinness was inexpensive by American standards, but I will not be going back for the food. Actually, the food might have been served properly, but I wouldn't know since I have no other British experience to compare it with – or that I can remember.  The other customers appeared happy with their meals and I was told Chablis anticipated selling out within 2 hours.

So take these comments as someone who has a different palette. Maybe English food just isn't for me.

SoCal

Agreed beachfun. The best place is where one is the happiest. The people I met at Chablis were pleasant, though some more pleasant than others.  ;)

jg

In some parts of the UK the beef is roasted until there is no trace of pink the day before.
It is then served cold for Sunday lunch accompanied by hot vegetables including stewed cabbage and roast potatoes and smothered in hot gravy.
I'm not claiming that this is any kind of gourmet experience but it is authentic.

I had an equal culture shock the first time I encountered it.
JG

Thong Man 007

CHABLIS use to be a very busy bar but with the hotels going all inclusive it has killed the town centre at night.
Steve has now owned the bar for 21 years.
Food use to be served every night but as the food was going to waste he dropped that and now only does Sunday meals.
You can go for a Breakfast most mornings.
On average CHABLIS cook 30 Sunday roasts and normally sell out that is why you need to book in advance.
If you go for a roast in the evening they are all sold out unless you had booked.

The €9.50 for the roast is good value as you get a desert aswell.

The staff are friendly and will talk to you when not busy.
If you haven't been to CHABLIS I recommend you try it.

I have just come back from Corralejo and was in CHABLIS every evening.

SoCal

T-man, I agree that as a bar, with its quiet atmosphere and the well poured Guinness, this is a very nice place to visit. I could see myself choosing this place over others such as the "Corner-rock". My issue is with the food. 

Note, I have pushed the Thank you button not for your comments about Chablis, but rather for your informative review of Gran Hotel Natura. Nice job. Unfortunately the software does not allow one to give a thanks in the hotel review section. That is unless the admin changed it.